i30 Owners Club

I30 SR MY18 Rims

brah · 14 · 2494

Offline brah

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Hey all,

Would anyone be able to help me understand what wheels/rims I need to buy that will fit my car? I have a 2018 SR DCT. I have no idea how wheel sizes work but after reading about bold patterns and all the different numbers I need to be aware of I’m slight overwhelmed trynna figure it out. Have searched on here for some idea but can’t find a good answer. For reference the tyres I have on currently are 225/40R18. Rims are stock and I’m not really a fan, want to go black. I considered painting them myself but seems like a hassle to take them all off and then potentially f**k it up. Any help would be appreciated.
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hey all,
Would anyone be able to help me understand what wheels/rims I need to buy that will fit my car? I have a 2018 SR DCT. I

@ Brah.  I have a 2018 i30 SR, so presumably they the same oem wheels as yours unless the Premium model is different.  I also have a set of spare oem wheels (with tyres mounted).  My wheel specs are:

Size: 7.5J x 18".   PCD: 5 x 114.3.    Offset: 53.

One day, out of idle curiosity, I recorded the specs stamped on the back of the wheel spokes:

Photo of specs stamped on one of the wheels on my car.  The first four photos imo are the main ones of interest for most owners.

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline brah

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Hey all,
Would anyone be able to help me understand what wheels/rims I need to buy that will fit my car? I have a 2018 SR DCT. I

@ Brah.  I have a 2018 i30 SR, so presumably they the same oem wheels as yours unless the Premium model is different.  I also have a set of spare oem wheels (with tyres mounted).  My wheel specs are:

Size: 7.5J x 18".   PCD: 5 x 114.3.    Offset: 53.

Thanks for the reply Terry, I imagine "Size: 7.5J x 18".   PCD: 5 x 114.3.    Offset: 53." is the main numbers I need to know. Thanks for the help. May come back to this post if I find some wheels and need a hand determining if they are right  :goodjob2:
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@brah.  Yes, imo, those are the three important specs to use in your search if you intend to stay oem.

PCD of 5 x 114.3 is pretty much mandatory for you.  Goggle it.  "5" is the number of wheel studs, "114.3" is the distance in mm between stud centres (measured a certain way). 

Sometimes "Offset" is called "ET" (e.g. ET53) which is German for "einpresstiefe". (A German girlfriend once told me it means "inset depth"...and we weren't talking about wheels:)).

Buying wheels with non-oem ET/Offset requires some thought.  OEM is 53mm.  A larger offset of say, 58mm means that the wheel/tyre sits IN further by 5mm (so, need to check whether you have sufficient wheel/tyre clearance with brakes and suspension parts).  A smaller offset of say, 48mm means that the wheel/tyre sits further OUT by 5mm (need to check for sufficient tyre clearance with the car's fender lip and that nothing sticks out past the cars body.

Offline brah

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
@TerryT

Coming back after some time looking on marketplace. Seems that I rarely find wheels with an offset as large (small?) as 53. Perhaps I’m missing something but is this a rare wheel spec?
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@TerryT

Coming back after some time looking on marketplace. Seems that I rarely find wheels with an offset as large (small?) as 53. Perhaps I’m missing something but is this a rare wheel spec?

I'd be surprised that an offset/ET of 53 is rare.  From memory, I think my old STi had oem ET53 wheels.  May I suggest that you not just focus on "53".  From memory I think my STi's "allowable" (read "conservative") offset range could be 50~55 without there being any interference problems.

I am hesitant to give technical advice on wheel/tyre combos for an i30 because I don't have any practical experience and it can get expensive buying wheels and tyres and then find that they don't fit on the car because of hitting something. 

If you haven't done it, I would measure the 'touching' clearance distances [front & rear] between your wheels/tyres and (1) any suspension/body/brake parts and (2) wheel well/fender inside lip.  That represents the safe static clearances you have with an oem ET53 wheel and oem tyre size and it gives you something to discuss with the 'wheel' shop. 

Now, from the smallest measurement you get anywhere, you have to deduct an estimate for the movement of suspension, wheels/tyres under dynamic load on the street.  Also, if you intended changing your [wheel alignment] camber setting from oem, you need to at least consider if laying the tyre over more (i.e top of tyre leaning inwards more) will have any impact on your clearances...unlikely but still possible if you buy wheels with a snug, close-fitting ET.

The forum has a tyre guru (Surferdude) and he may have more knowledge on this subject.  If he doesn't join in the discussion, maybe you could message him?  Maybe ask the Hyundai Owners Club of Australia or the Hyundai N Performance Owners Club Australia, you'd think that they'd have members who have played with wheels/tyres. 

I am a little surprised that a big wheel reseller can't help you with their experiences with i30s to suggest a safe ET range and also what wheel/tyre combo works.       

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@TerryT

I'd be surprised that an offset/ET of 53 is rare.  From memory, I think my old STi had oem ET53 wheels.  May I suggest that you not just focus on "53".  From memory I think my STi's "allowable" (read "conservative") offset range could be 50~55 without there being any interference problems.

I am hesitant to give technical advice on wheel/tyre combos for an i30 because I don't have any practical experience and it can get expensive buying wheels and tyres and then find that they don't fit on the car because of hitting something. 

If you haven't done it, I would measure the 'touching' clearance distances [front & rear] between your wheels/tyres and (1) any suspension/body/brake parts and (2) wheel well/fender inside lip.  That represents the safe static clearances you have with an oem ET53 wheel and oem tyre size and it gives you something to discuss with the 'wheel' shop. 

Now, from the smallest measurement you get anywhere, you have to deduct an estimate for the movement of suspension, wheels/tyres under dynamic load on the street.  Also, if you intended changing your [wheel alignment] camber setting from oem, you need to at least consider if laying the tyre over more (i.e top of tyre leaning inwards more) will have any impact on your clearances...unlikely but still possible if you buy wheels with a snug, close-fitting ET.

The forum has a tyre guru (Surferdude) and he may have more knowledge on this subject.  If he doesn't join in the discussion, maybe you could message him?  Maybe ask the Hyundai Owners Club of Australia or the Hyundai N Performance Owners Club Australia, you'd think that they'd have members who have played with wheels/tyres. 

I am a little surprised that a big wheel reseller can't help you with their experiences with i30s to suggest a safe ET range and also what wheel/tyre combo works.       

I can’t help, sorry.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

I can’t help, sorry.

Ok, it was worth a try.  :)

Offline brah

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
@TerryT

Now, from the smallest measurement you get anywhere, you have to deduct an estimate for the movement of suspension, wheels/tyres under dynamic load on the street.  Also, if you intended changing your [wheel alignment] camber setting from oem, you need to at least consider if laying  Maybe ask the Hyundai Owners Club of Australia or the Hyundai N Performance Owners Club Australia, you'd think that they'd have members who have played with wheels/tyres. 

Ah sorry I should’ve clarified, I was referring to FB marketplace and the second hand market. That being said, online retailers seem to suggest wheels with a  ~+45 offset so perhaps this is within a safe range for the car. Anyways, thanks for your help, will look into those other clubs you mention to see if they have any more information
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@brah.  Hope you find what you're after.  Would be nice to hear what combo you finally decide on, may help others with the same project in mind.

Offline Bob.W

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
@brah

Having delved into the rim/tyre world for the first time recently myself I agree it's rather confusing at first - FWIW I found the following site very handy:

- :link: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com (allows you to compare OEM fittings to others you might be considering)

The main part of the site also has all the OEM info etc - not sure any other site is really needed, is very thorough.
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Offline brah

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Hey all @TerryT @Bob.W

Looking at some on market place atm, 18x7, with +48 offset. 225/55 R18 tyres on them.

Seems the rims themselves would fit fine, can anyone give any other input. Tyres seems too big for car but assume it won’t be too much to get tyre shop to swap them out with current(?).

Any input would be appreciated. Here’s the link to the wheel-size site comparison for reference: :link: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hey all @TerryT @Bob.W

Looking at some on market place atm, 18x7, with +48 offset. 225/55 R18 tyres on them.

Seems the rims themselves would fit fine, can anyone give any other input. Tyres seems too big for car but assume it won’t be too much to get tyre shop to swap them out with current(?).

Any input would be appreciated. Here’s the link to the wheel-size site comparison for reference: :link: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com

ET/Offset 48 (from oem 53) sounds okay, the new wheel would be sitting out further by only 5mm.  A quick check of your present clearances should see that that won't be a problem.

Aspect ratio 55 (oem 40).  Not what I would fit to my car.  [EDIT: Corrected my original post].

Rim width 7" (oem 7.5") is something I would discuss with a tech guy of any major tyre brand.  I think it would be okay but those guys know if it is, and of the subtle differences the change would make.   If you're running Hankook tyres, ring them.

The brand of the wheel you are looking at is so important.  Looks mean a lot but quality manufacturing more so and it is a safety issue.  Cheapo, fragile wheels from Asia are a gamble and they are out there.  Google the brand name and model for reviews if you can.

Think I'll leave it there, I hesitate talking wheel/tyre combos, it's such a minefield.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 04:32:07 by TerryT »

Offline Bob.W

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

You seem WA based?   Well the 225/40/18's are the biggest diameter combo on the car's placard (they are on mine anyway) - as can see from the link you provided that those tyres+rims are 11% bigger.  The legal limit here is +7%, so out by a LONG way and honestly I think they'd hit your front suspension - but you seem to know this.

So you're buying for the rims only - dunno, you can put 18's on but you have very little tyre choice in sizes but I suspect this is fine on great roads. You've seen the rims, I have not - so not sure what I could possibly add, nothing wrong with 18's or even 19's on it - is all about the overall tyre diameter so DYOR for WA. :-)
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal