i30 Owners Club

Brake lights out and radio dropping in and out

Offline swithers

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Hi,

I've got a 2011 Diesel i30 that's recently developed a couple of faults.

Firstly, the radio currently turns on or off every couple of seconds; if it's turned on the screen and audio will be on for a couple of seconds then turn off/go blank, turn back on and then off on repeat. The timing is random but never more than a couple of seconds on or off. The radio controls only work when the screen is turned on.

Secondly the brake lights in both main tail assemblies have also stopped working but don't seem to have blown. The other lights in the assembly and brake light at the top of the rear windscreen still function fine.

Any thoughts on what could be causing the issue and how to fix?

Thanks
  • 2011 i30 FD CRDi 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Red

Online Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, Rear brake light bulbs in my 2010 fd  are BAY15d which have two filaments. how have you confirmed they are not blown? Also when the circuit of both lower brake lights is incomplete, ie both blown, esp off, may light up. Check at the bulb socket for 12 volts, with the brake pedal down. If there is not 12volts , then start checking the brake switch, which given the age of your car may be in the affected recall range for  the faulty switch.

The radio sounds like either a loose connection or possibly internal faulty unit. Vibrations and dry solder joints or aging/leaking capacitors produce similar symptoms.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal