i30 Owners Club

HOW TO:Replace the rubber insert in the flip key fob.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The rubber pad insert on the flip key had been breaking up for sometime and being lazy had just used clear tape to hold the pads in place.

Anyway it came to a point of no return at the weekend as two of the pads had given up working, the unlock door and lock door.

Looking at options there seemed to be  three.

Option 1 was a new key including the inners and it would require progaming to the car. Expensive option I think £90 plus.

Option 2 was an empty new fob case. Reasonable cost, £5 to £10. Required you to open current fob case and transfer inners to new case but you could damage the board and transponder

Option 3 was to buy the rubber insert. Very cheap at £3.99 for 2.

No need to open the fob case. Just pull the old rubber out and replace with the new.

I went for option 3.

Just word of warning. Don't remove the plastic insert under the rubber insert as it is a sod to push the 4 pegs back into its holes as the thickness of the new rubber makes it hard to reseat.

I reseated the plastic insert then pushed the rubber into the side gap.

Photo's, hopefully in order, showing how I replaced rubber insert.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Are you saying it is best to dig out the 3 rubber inserts but leave the old plastic 3-hole frame in the key, then push in the 3 new rubber inserts?

Can you say where you found the inserts? Assume online somewhere.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Yes, just pull all the rubber away from the key and leave frame in place.

Only 1 insert with 3 protruding stalks which fit into each button hole to activate the desired action, open, boot or lock function.

If you look at the picture of the reverse side of the rubber, there is a very very thin lip which pulls over the frame.

But as I found the rubber prevented me from reseating the frame with the rubber in place.

So I reseated the frame then set the rubber on top.
Pushed along sides with a very very thin flat head screwdriver provided with the inserts or even your thumb nail. Tight fit so happy with end product

Bought off Amazon.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hmmm... looking like a 3D printing opportunity to me, but eBay / Amazon is definitely the way to get back to original state.
I've already had success printing a plastic-to-replace-rubber solution for the boot release  :D

:link: STL file Kia Rio Boot Release Switch Repair 👢 ・Design to download and 3D print・Cults
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal