i30 Owners Club

Brake Rotor & Disk fitment issue

Offline oscarmiike

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi all,

Hoping to get some insight into why the gear I bought to replace my front rotors and brakes didn't fit!

I used the Supercheap Auto 'My Garage' to pick parts for the car: rotors, brake pads

I had some help from a mate who's done a lot of car builds, and he couldn't figure it out either. We pushed the pistons as far back as they could go with a C clamp, tried the brake pads with and without the anti-rattle shim thingo, and there was no chance of these things fitting over the rotor.

Even tried giving them a thump with a hammer, but that was just knocking off the bedding material from the pads :/

Keen to hear if anyone else has had this issue, and how to pick parts if the SCA My Garage part filter is unreliable.

Cheers,
OM.

• 2012, GD, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Silver

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
if you go on www.partsouq.com and search using your vehicle VIN number it will give you the Hyundai part numbers, which you can then use to search for the correct aftermarket parts. At least one of them should have a drawing on the website to tell you the dimensions of the rotors and the pad thicknesses, so you can check the discs you've got aren't thicker than they're supposed to be. When pushing the caliper piston back, try opening the bleed nipple just in case there's a hydraulic lock somewhere that is preventing the piston going all the way back. I use a G-clamp as well but I put the old pad in front of the piston to bear against. The piston should go back far enough until the back of the pad is touching the body of the caliper.
  • i30 CRD

Online I30 GD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping to get some insight into why the gear I bought to replace my front rotors and brakes didn't fit!

I used the Supercheap Auto 'My Garage' to pick parts for the car: rotors, brake pads

I had some help from a mate who's done a lot of car builds, and he couldn't figure it out either. We pushed the pistons as far back as they could go with a C clamp, tried the brake pads with and without the anti-rattle shim thingo, and there was no chance of these things fitting over the rotor.

Even tried giving them a thump with a hammer, but that was just knocking off the bedding material from the pads :/

Keen to hear if anyone else has had this issue, and how to pick parts if the SCA My Garage part filter is unreliable.

Cheers,
OM.

What size are your wheels?
  • I30 gd

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Its likely because there are 2 sizes of rotor that you are supposed to measure before ordering (if you order instore, some SCA will ask if you've measured,  totally dependant on competency of person working the desk). The sizes are 280mm or 300mm, easily checkable with ruler or sit face to face if you still have apart. Do not rely on wheel size - my i30 came with 16" alloys, yet has 280mm rotor. You've likely ordered 300mm because your car came with 16" wheels like SCA part finder says, along with almost every other part finder system. Check partsouq out as mentioned but this is my guess as to the issue.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The 280mm diameter discs are 23mm thick, and the 300mm diameter discs are 28mm thick. It sounds like you may have the larger discs, and this should be obvious because the brake yoke that carries the pads wouldn't align with it. I have a UK spec 2015 1.6 diesel, which has 15" wheels and 280mm front discs. I also have a 2011 FD diesel with 16" wheels and 280mm discs. Wheel size isn't a reliable indicator of the brake parts. I don't trust motor factors to pick the right parts, I always get the OEM part number using partsouq, then go to the online catalogue of manufacturers like Delphi or Pagid. They will provide their own part numbers cross-referenced to the OEM part, and have dimensioned drawings.
  • i30 CRD

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
If you are talking about the rear rotors, they screw in.  A C clamp won't work on them.
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal