i30 Owners Club

Frequent dpf regeneration

Online Szgabor94

• 1st Gear

• hu Hungary
Hi all,

I bought a hyundai i30 1.6 crdi (2016) a few months ago, and I noticed that the dpf regenerates too often.
As I read the normal regeneration frequency is above 400 km, but mine do that between 130-150 km. I check the oil level in a daily basis and I think its not increasing.
I bought a cheap obd device to track the regenerations more efficiently. It shows that the regeneration starts at 14,7g soot level. The dpf differential pressure sensor shows a 220 mbar value when the regeneration starts. I attached you a screenshot about the pressure sensor values and soot load. When I saved the log I was driving on the motorway (2000-2500 rpm).
Do you see any unusual with the attached log? The soot load and pressure values are normal? Where should I start to solve this issue?

• Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi 2016

Online I30 GD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
There isn't an issue, mine does the same, I've done 20k miles and not had a regen problem, if the car drives fine and there's no regen error codes it's normal.
  • I30 gd

Online Szgabor94

• 1st Gear

• hu Hungary
There isn't an issue, mine does the same, I've done 20k miles and not had a regen problem, if the car drives fine and there's no regen error codes it's normal.

Its really annoying that the dpf regenerates 30 km from every 150 km. Due to the additional fuel consumption my average is 5,7 l / 100 km. I think its bad for a modern diesel (mostly motorway respecting speed limits).
Its also not easy paying attention to not to stop the car when the regeneration is ongoing so frequently.
Its definitly a problem to me and i want to solve it.

Online I30 GD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Fair enough, I will keep an eye on mine via the obd and report back the intervals as I think it might be too often on mine but unsure until I check. Fuel consumption has recently increased for me aswell.
I think it's fine as there's no error codes or issues apart from fuel consumption but that might be because I'm doing short runs at the moment.
  • I30 gd

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
What OBD reader are you using? Now I'm retired I do a lot more short journeys and my fuel consumption gets a lot worse periodically. It's a nuisance that there's no indication that DPF regeneration is in progress, so that you know not to interrupt it.
  • i30 CRD

Online I30 GD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I use a generic elm 327 Bluetooth obd with an app called car scanner, allows coding, static dpf regeneration and various other options, I used to use torque pro but it's limited in what it does, I still use forscan on Ford's but car scanner works well on Hyundai's.
  • I30 gd

Online I30 GD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Checked mine over last couple of days, it regenerates at around 16g of soot, it regenerated at 30 miles twice during town driving, I had to drive along a dual carriageway to allow it to finish, on the motorway it regenerated at about 36 miles.
This doesn't appear to be normal but there are no error codes or problems apart from the fuel consumption going up during regeneration, it's more than likely always done this in the 20k miles I've had it, now on 105k.
After lots of searching it appears there's no cure for this, I will just wait until I start to get error codes then either clean the dpf manually or replace it, in the meantime I'm checking a few things on the car like boost hoses etc in case there is a cause.

• I30 gd

Online I30 GD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Further on from this I checked my dpf sensor levels and they're not too good 27hpa at idle, 70hpa at 2500rpm and jumps to low 200hpa with a good rev.
I've put a bottle of redex 'snake oil' dpf cleaner in, after about 1/4 of a tank the idle is down to 17hpa, at 2500rpm around 50hpa and low 100s at a full rev so contrary to popular belief it seems to have done something.
Soot level went up 0.4g in 6 miles which puts me around 100 miles till it regens, not perfect but better.
I've got a can of foam dpf cleaner on order to inject into the top of the dpf through the sensor pipe, if that doesn't fix it, it's coming off for a manual clean but so far so good.

• I30 gd

Online Szgabor94

• 1st Gear

• hu Hungary
Further on from this I checked my dpf sensor levels and they're not too good 27hpa at idle, 70hpa at 2500rpm and jumps to low 200hpa with a good rev.
I've put a bottle of redex 'snake oil' dpf cleaner in, after about 1/4 of a tank the idle is down to 17hpa, at 2500rpm around 50hpa and low 100s at a full rev so contrary to popular belief it seems to have done something.
Soot level went up 0.4g in 6 miles which puts me around 100 miles till it regens, not perfect but better.
I've got a can of foam dpf cleaner on order to inject into the top of the dpf through the sensor pipe, if that doesn't fix it, it's coming off for a manual clean but so far so good.

Is there any update from you? This redex stuff really helped? Could you attach a diagram like me about dpf pressures and at which pressure the regen starts?

Online I30 GD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I've updated with dpf sensor pressures, as above.
  • I30 gd

Online Szgabor94

• 1st Gear

• hu Hungary
I also tried a dpf cleaning fuel additive (stp). I would have never thought but it has some effect :eek:
Before that the dpf regenerated in every 120-150 km. Now with the additive I went 150 km and the soot load is still just around 55%. With this pace the regeneration will happen now around 250 km.

Online I30 GD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I had a 125 mile regen then the next was 20 miles, put another better cleaner in the tank and it's the same, looks my dpf is knackered, I shall drive it till it starts throwing codes then either replace and code it in or try to clean the original one, either way it's not looking good, this is probably the worst car I have ever purchased, money pit.
  • I30 gd

Online I30 GD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Further on, the soot level is now going up slower and to a higher level, think I've fixed it but will know more after another few hundred miles.
It now looks like it will be regenerating at a suitable mileage/time, just waiting for the next regen.

• I30 gd

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal