i30 Owners Club

Coolant levels drop after coolant flush

Offline JpHyundaiFan

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland
I got my coolant flush done 3 weeks ago for my Hyundai i30 (2013). First days the coolant reservoir was near the full level. But now when I checked it, it was near low-level. Is this normal, or was there air pockets? What to do next? Shall I just fill up the reservoir... and if the levels stay after that is that all I need to do? Or is this a sign that the service was not done correctly and I need to redo the flush?

I did test the air conditioner, and if I put 29 celsius it gives warm, although not sure if its exactly 29 (but it is clearly warmer than setting 19).

So far did not notice engine getting especially hot.
  • Hyundai i30 1.6, Blue-Drive, GDH, Blueberry, 2013

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I would take a photo of the reduced coolant level, then top up with coolant. Keep checking the coolant level on a regular basis, it is always a good thing to do anyway.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Possibly a bit of air trapped in the heating system, top it up and keep and eye on it.

Offline JpHyundaiFan

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland
Possibly a bit of air trapped in the heating system, top it up and keep and eye on it.

Thanks. Yes, just drove and engine had an even 80 celsius temperature, so seems ok. Also squeezed the coolant black pipe and did not find air and it moved the coolant water, so seems like there is not much air.

I ll fill it up and lets see...

Offline JpHyundaiFan

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland
I would take a photo of the reduced coolant level, then top up with coolant. Keep checking the coolant level on a regular basis, it is always a good thing to do anyway.

Thanks. I remember where it was, so just will fill it up and lets see...

The old coolant, I think it was there many years, it stayed always just below the Full-level, so maybe this will also settle there.

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

The old coolant, I think it was there many years, it stayed always just below the Full-level, so maybe this will also settle there.
The idea of taking a photo was as evidence, in case you were to go back to the garage who did the coolant flush for you. Ignore that if you did the flush yourself :)
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Online I30 GD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Coolant change normally takes up to 3 engine heat cycles to stabilise, it may drop during this, just top it off and it will remain level after all the air is removed.
  • I30 gd

Offline JpHyundaiFan

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland
Coolant change normally takes up to 3 engine heat cycles to stabilise, it may drop during this, just top it off and it will remain level after all the air is removed.

Thanks for "relaxing" me :). Ye, I did not notice anything worrying really. The service man filled it up today. Will check levels...

Offline JpHyundaiFan

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland

The idea of taking a photo was as evidence, in case you were to go back to the garage who did the coolant flush for you. Ignore that if you did the flush yourself :)

the service man did it. yes, I took a pic before he filled it up today. I have a feeling it will be ok, but will check later...

Offline JpHyundaiFan

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland
the service man did it. yes, I took a pic before he filled it up today. I have a feeling it will be ok, but will check later...

Its been now many weeks and the level has settled now just above the top-level.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal