i30 Owners Club

Radar sensor failure?

Offline Diemji

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, New South Wales,Australia
 I have a 2017 i30 SR hatch.One morning, not so long ago, I started the car and noticed a warning light in the dash which indicated that the AEB was not working. On driving the vehicle I also noticed that cruise control was not working either.
I took the vehicle to the Hyundai dealership and they advised that the front radar sensor pad was damaged,and thus it could not be repaired under warranty (expired) or a claim made through the  ACCC.
I attempted to make a claim on the insurance but they claimed that the sensor could not have been damaged in the way the Hyundai dealership described - vehicle parked front to kerb,mounted the kerb and bumper pushed upwards and damaged the sensor. Repair cost approx $7500!
Does anyone have any ideas on a less expensive repair option?
Insurance assessor claimed the vehicle had been in an accident before I  bought it and that may have been the cause of the damage to the sensor. However the system was functioning properly when I first bought the car, and for at least two years before it failed.
A system of this type, with no moving parts,should not be subject to failure in a vehicle that has done less than 60,000 kms.
Should I approach the dealership and see if a cheaper option can be arrived at?
The vehicle is in otherwise very good condition, and drives very well. I don't think that it is worth $7.5K to have cruise control and AEB.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

• 2017 PD i30 SR Premium 1.6L turbo DCT Grey

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal