i30 Owners Club

2018 PD2 Premium USB Phone Connection challenges

Offline herdygerdy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hi folks,
First time poster here and struggling to connect my Samsung S20 to my 'new to me' OEM 2018 PD2 i30 Premium Head unit.  (BTW, I'm totally new to this phone to car malarkey so pls be gentle with me. :confused:)

Here's the story (and my questions) so far:

1.  The phone connects via Bluetooth for calls, contact list and audio (what audio does that refer to?) .  I have that working OK but still setting it up to work seamlessly.

2.  The 'phone projection thing' requires Android Auto.  Using Android Auto requires a 'quality' USB cable to work...(yes/no).  TBH I'm a bit disappointed that it can't be done via Bluetooth too, but perhaps that feature came out on later model head units or cars? 

3.  If a single Bluetooth connection is available on later models, is it possible to upgrade the firmware in the head unit to enable Android Auto and the phone functionality to BOTH be connected via Bluetooth, so I no longer need to use the USB cable? 
It does seem very odd to me that connecting a single phone to the head unit requires TWO separate connections - 1x via Bluetooth and 1x using a USB cable.  How did that get past the focus groups?

3.  If my only option is to have Android Auto functionality by USB cable, is there are recommended USB cable that folks here use?  I've tried with some I had lying around (probably not the recommended OEM Samsung ones) and had flakey intermittent connections.  I also cleaned out any lint and debris from inside the phone's USB Type C connection port and it was a little better but still far from perfect.  So I've now purchased a high quality UGreen one (that supports fast charging) and while connection seems much better, but...

4.  With the USB cable connected to the phone while it is laid in the wireless charging cavity, the cable on end of the phone now takes the weight of that end of the phone because the phone with cable connected is too long to nestle properly into the wireless charging cavity.

5.  I'm looking at getting this USB cable with RH connections on each end.  Is that what folks with 2018 models do when the phone + cable combo' is too long?

MTIA for any feedback or suggestions from my learned forum inmates.  Thanks...Tony
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, 7sp D-CT, White

Offline buff

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
I have the Elite I30 but a different brand phone. Had the same issue with straight style USB cables not fitting in the wireless recharge location and got a right angle version from Ebay it was nothing special as unlike Iphones you don't need a specific cable.
Unfortunately No you cant update the system to go wireless.I did eventually get tired of using a cable and got a Wireless connection after market attachment AAWireless   AAWireless | Wireless Android Auto™ adapter have had mine for nearly 4 years and it works great. They are just about to release a new version AAWireless 2   AAWireless | AAWireless 2 that you can pre order.
Both are Android Only device (at the moment) so not compatible with IPhone at the moment (they are Beta testing Iphone connection which will come out soon   AAWireless | Carplay), there are some others on the market that will do both if you look around on the net.
As for the intermittent connection I did have that with some cables as they didn't fit the car USB connection correctly (pushed in too deep) you might also want to have a look at the car connector just to be sure there is no muck in it.
Also you might be interested in this site so you can self update your mapping and head unit software   Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website the last update was released on 22 July 2024
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 03:55:11 by buff »
  • 2017 PD i30 Elite, Diesel 1.6lt, DCT, Iron Grey

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal