i30 Owners Club

G4NC engine

Offline aliew

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Greetings all,

I have a 2022 PD series i30 with the Nu 2.0 GDI engine, specifically the G4NC. I've been reading reports that surfaced in the past year about this engine along with others in the Nu family having problems--mostly rod bearings wearing out too fast, piston slap, high oil consumption and in a few cases, engine seizure. To be honest, I'm starting to become paranoid. My odometer is currently just under 34 000 km. I've been doing oil changes every 6 months, with 5W-30 synthetic oil. In each OCI I drive no more than 7 000 km, except for one with 9 957 km when I worked far away so quite a bit of motorway mileage. So I have a few questions:

1. For those who own a car with this engine or similar, have you had any problems with it, and what year was your car made in?

2. I notice most problems arise from engines made from circa 2011 to 2017, with a few odd cases as recent as 2020. What are the chances of a 2022 engine having problems?

3.  As this is a GDI engine, when should I start to worry about carbon build-up on the intake valves?

4. This webpage :link: Engine specifications for Hyundai-Kia G4NC, characteristics, oil, performance mentions that the engine design was improved more than once, citing the addition of oil separators and oil nozzles under the pistons. Is anyone able to verify this information?

I look forward to your input, thank you in advance.

• 2022 PD 5-Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0 litre, Auto, White

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal