i30 Owners Club

Scuffing of the Drivers Seat Side Wing.

Opa_1 · 29 · 6848

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
Used Smokey extensively on our recent trip and at times we felt like we were living in her, which was pretty close to the truth.. :D

There was a lot of getting in and out and I didn't realise at the time but I must have been brushing against the drivers seat side wing a lot when doing so. As i was giving the car a clean up, and boy do I have my work cut out to get her back up to scratch..anyway that's another story, I noticed the wear I had caused. See the pics attached here.
Like to hear feedback if anyone else has an issue or it is just the way I have been injecting and ejecting myself.. :) The door cops a fair bit of scuffing around the speaker level as well and I know this has been discussed in a different thread but I wasn't able to find any mention in a thread on seat scuffing.

I bought the SLX with the better upholstery as I am not a big fan of seat covers but looks like I may need to fit some to provide protection .

Right side wing shows a fair bit of scuffing.

See the left side is still fine.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
your probably going to have to put seat covers on!! mabey try a "throw over" so you can take it off when you want nice looking seats quickly (although i think my seat covers are pretty good looking)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Nik,

I think a bit of wear on the drivers side boster is fairly common in the i30 (and other cars with sizeable bolsters)but yours is quite pronounced for the age of your car.. If you don't really like seat covers I would suggest shopping around for some that are similar to the i30 upholstery (I think K-mart might even have some..) only problem is they will have to be airbag compatible which may limit your choices and bump up the prices a bit..  :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Wow... incidentally, do you have / see any scuff wear on the door seal?

A member on here does, Hyundai dont see it as a reasonable Warranty claim... just curious as there is a small ?mark against some Hy materials & the "fit for purpose" issue.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia

A member on here does, Hyundai dont see it as a reasonable Warranty claim... just curious as there is a small ?mark against some Hy materials & the "fit for purpose" issue.

No Ffoxy thankfully I don't have any marks on the door seal.

your probably going to have to put seat covers on!! mabey try a "throw over" so you can take it off when you want nice looking seats quickly (although i think my seat covers are pretty good looking)

Yeah, more is the pity but I can't let this get any worse. I'll check the covers you have pretty sure you have some pics in another thread don't you. :cool:

Hi Nik,

I think a bit of wear on the drivers side boster is fairly common in the i30 (and other cars with sizeable bolsters)but yours is quite pronounced for the age of your car.. If you don't really like seat covers I would suggest shopping around for some that are similar to the i30 upholstery (I think K-mart might even have some..) only problem is they will have to be airbag compatible which may limit your choices and bump up the prices a bit..  :'(

A bit of wear an tear yes but this is a bit pronounced considering the car is only five months old. Checked myself yesterday and it seems I come down into the seat sliding my backside across the wing, didn't realise I was doing this before. Guess I am have been used to getting 'up' into a car like the Territory.
I think I will hunt for some sheepskin covers as these would be the most comfortable I imagine.

Cheers guys.. :razz:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Do you wear black jeans or soething, maybe its the pics but it looks like there is some black rubbing off onto the seat.

Unlike the the door seal I do touch that wing on the way in to my car. It's leather on mine, and it looks a bit wrinkled compare to the one on the other side, so it gets leather balm more often.

It might be worth trying some spray teflon fabric protector, would help keep it clean, but probably not do much to reduce the wear rate.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
no offence to opa_1, but its probably just a bit of "dirt" rubbing in to the material i would say lorian...

yer the seat covers i have, i forget they are seat covers they fit that well hahah

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia

Do you wear black jeans or soething, maybe its the pics but it looks like there is some black rubbing off onto the seat.

Unlike the the door seal I do touch that wing on the way in to my car. It's leather on mine, and it looks a bit wrinkled compare to the one on the other side, so it gets leather balm more often.

It might be worth trying some spray teflon fabric protector, would help keep it clean, but probably not do much to reduce the wear rate.

I think maybe the pic isn't quite clear, there is no black it is a scuff caused by rubbing against the wing.
I saw in your post in the other thread related to the door seal that you are tall and tend to sit then swing the legs in. I tried that and that works better as I don't touch the wing at all then. Now I have to remember for a while till it gets to be a habit.
I think I will still get some covers as well as take your advise on using some fabric protector. Gotta keep the girl looking good, she's done a lot of work for us recently.. :D

no offence to opa_1, but its probably just a bit of "dirt" rubbing in to the material i would say lorian...

yer the seat covers i have, i forget they are seat covers they fit that well hahah

No offense taken agentr31... :evil: :lol: :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Nik .. I had Sheepskin seat covers on mine (but the Pom's didn't like them  :wink:) Reckoned they looked gay and scruffy.. but they were nice and comfy (and protected the seat)  :D

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i bet the NZ members loved them tho dazz!!!

They probably call them "shag" pile...  :lol:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've never really quite got the logic of buying a car with nice seats and then covering them up with seat covers.....:neutral:

I compare it to wearing a suit with overalls over the top to stop the suit getting soiled.... :lol:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've never really quite got the logic of buying a car with nice seats and then covering them up with seat covers.....:neutral:

I compare it to wearing a suit with overalls over the top to stop the suit getting soiled.... :lol:
  i think the same way Russ.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia

i think the same way Russ.  :wink:

Have to say I agree as well but given the scuffing I do not want to make it any worse so unless I can retrain myself in getting in and out I will have to protect the seat. Today I forgot every time so that makes me...doh, doh, ummm ..slow.. :P :P

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
old habits are hard the change.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, I know what you mean.. Try NOT looking at attractive women with long legs and short skirts.. (no, sorry can't do it)  :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol: :lol:

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia

Yeah, I know what you mean.. Try NOT looking at attractive women with long legs and short skirts.. (no, sorry can't do it)  :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Only when the wife is not looking, of course.. :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
old habits are hard to change. very true.  :lol:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

:question: :question:  How do you know they are attractive, if they have legs (not necessarily long) and short skirts, I don't get as far as the face :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If they have long legs and short skirts they are attractive to me .. :lol: :wink:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If they have long legs and short skirts they are attractive to me .. :lol: :wink:

:eek: You need to get out more  :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

And I thought I was the only deviate on here..... :lol:
I'm actually not even that fussy, I'll even look at the ones with short legs if they have a plunging neckline... :-[

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

so, you dont wear overalls over your suit? :P :P :P

Only over my birthday suit..... :-[

Good answer!  :lol:

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria

By door seal, do you mean the rubber around the door opening on the body? If so I have noticed that I must rub against one part as I get in & out of my i30, as I have worn a small hole in it.

Also dont get into your car when heavy rain is falling - stained my front seats quite badly from dirty rain :( :( :( :(

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
By door seal, do you mean the rubber around the door opening on the body? If so I have noticed that I must rub against one part as I get in & out of my i30, as I have worn a small hole in it.

:eek: Rubber seal gate

Please see https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6624.0 and compare notes.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal