i30 Owners Club

Older Drivers

Dazzler · 52 · 10124

Poll

At what age do you consider someone an OLDER driver?

Over 40
0 (0%)
Over 50
3 (15.8%)
Over 60
4 (21.1%)
Over 70
10 (52.6%)
Over 80
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: December 23, 2010, 20:59:53

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'll start with 70+ :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I was wavering with this one, was originally going to go with 60+ (based on retirement age) and then decided that since our government has decided that I can work till I am approaching 70 then I can drive to way past that please!

I see some cheeky sod reckons 50's, they should remember that most of the admin of this site are approaching or already at that age..............bumpkin goes off to search for the ban button :rofl: :rofl:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
It is a difficult question, and it is a matter of defining what is an 'Older Driver'!
There is a lot of conflicting research... :confused: so at this time I will say 70+

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Very interesting question, this.

In my mind, an older driver is someone probably 20 years my senior, so that would make them 41 over 70  :-\

I see some cheeky sod reckons 50's...

Tempting to disclose the voter of that one :yoohoo:  :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
You really can't put an age on it.
That would be unfair.
There are all sorts of "afflictions" which age people prematurely in mind and/or body.
Plenty of mature age people have none of these afflictions.

See if you can take the time to skim through this lady's history.

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/cityhall/mayor

She was born in 1921 and was recently re-elected Mayor of Mississauga, a Canadian city of about 750,000 people, adjoining Toronto.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
I think an older driver would be in the age group mid 70+ ? but it would all come down to their health and reaction times .... A lot of old people just focus on the road 30 metres ahead of them ...... some drive real slow and others far too fast, they have no peripheral vision or awareness but do we take a chance and let them drive for a little longer or take their licence away so they can sit at home and die a bit sooner .... Not an easy decision to make.

:goodjob: 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

She is an amazing Lady Trev .. there are exceptions to every rule (Look at "our" Alan  :D)

I reckon most of those I see driving at half the speed limit and hanging on to the steering wheel for grim death are in their eighties....(the way I feel these days I'll be lucky to reach that age  :'()

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
the way I feel these days I'll be lucky to reach that age  :'()

Women will do that to ya.... :wink: :lol:

Pip
I think an older driver would be in the age group mid 70+ ? but it would all come down to their health and reaction times .... A lot of old people just focus on the road 30 metres ahead of them ...... some drive real slow and others far too fast, they have no peripheral vision or awareness but do we take a chance and let them drive for a little longer or take their licence away so they can sit at home and die a bit sooner .... Not an easy decision to make.

Crikey Oz, everything you atribute here to "older" drivers could and does apply at any age. :scared: :wink:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :rofl: so true pip.  :sweating:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Crikey Oz, everything you atribute here to "older" drivers could and does apply at any age. :scared: :wink:

There's another factor which I feel should be taken into account and that is the amount of time the person currently spends behind the wheel. There's little doubt in my mind that your confidence suffers dramatically unless you regularly travel significant distances.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
At 73 I class myself as not just an "older" driver - but an "old" driver.

My boy racing habits have definitely tempered over he past 10 years and I now drive for economy, comfort and safety - rather than hurtle from A to B as fast as possible. My tyres are lasting longer, fuel costs are reduced, my passengers no longer "enjoy" white knuckle rides, I see more of the countryside as it drifts by and I am far more considerate to other drivers - even the idiots. I have yet to get myself a flat cap, pipe and a pair of thick rimmed bottle glasses, dodder from lane to lane, park at 45 degrees or attack a shop window.

I still fell comfortable and confident at the wheel and feel sure I drive well within my limits. The only time I feel unsure is when reversing - rear vision from the i30 is not the best and I rely more and more on the reversing sensors.

The widow of a late friend is still driving very competently at the age of 89. She is smooth, fast, very competent and has only had one accident in her life - and that was being rear ended at a Tee junction. My wife is happy to go out with her and wishes she was as confident with her own driving.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
hey Alan,you sound like a bloody good driver in my opinion mate.  :goodjob:  my grand father was still driving at 91,they took his licence off him at 92 for speeding. 105kmh in a 100kmh zone. the cop apparently nearly fell over when he saw my pop was the driver,all 5 foot nothing of him.  :faint: :rofl: keep up the good work mate.  :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good "insider" feedback there Alan.. Appreciate you taking it in good spirits... :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
  my grand father was still driving at 91,they took his licence off him at 92 for speeding. 105kmh in a 100kmh zone.

bit harsh :eek:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA

Fair suck of the sap there Pip  :o I was posting on the topic 'Older Drivers' .... not looking for a critical acclaim to my post  ??? .. how about an opinion on the topic ? rather than a dissection of someones post  :winker:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Fair suck of the sap there Pip  :o I was posting on the topic 'Older Drivers' .... not looking for a critical acclaim to my post  ??? .. how about an opinion on the topic ? rather than a dissection of someones post  :winker:

:wtf:

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
  Well sometimes you have to say what you   :exclaim:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
A good indicator of whether someone is a good driver or not is to go shopping in a supermarket that is busy. The people who dawdle down the centre of the aisle totally oblivious of the fact they are holding back other customers, or those who park their trolley at an angle and block all traffic, or those who crash into you, or those who charge out of an aisle intersection without looking, or those who suddenly reverse without any regard for who is behind them are all highly likely to exhibit the same habits in the car. It's enough to give you aisle rage. By my observations today - there are thousands of the buggers - and most of them are women........ :mrgreen:.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Never thought of that Alan.. But you are probably right.. :lol:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
an older driver is the little old man or lady that can barely see over the wheel (shrinking) and looks like they're not seeing everything (going blind) and drive about half the speed limit. or the gentleman reversing out of a carpark i was waiting for one day, and his wife (presumably) had to stand behind the car and wave him out; and i could not see any notable obstacles that needed her to that.  ???

i voted 70+ as an 'older' driver here
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Pip
A good indicator of whether someone is a good driver or not is to go shopping in a supermarket that is busy. The people who dawdle down the centre of the aisle totally oblivious of the fact they are holding back other customers, or those who park their trolley at an angle and block all traffic, or those who crash into you, or those who charge out of an aisle intersection without looking, or those who suddenly reverse without any regard for who is behind them are all highly likely to exhibit the same habits in the car. It's enough to give you aisle rage. By my observations today - there are thousands of the buggers - and most of them are women........ :mrgreen:.
I think I love Alan... makes more sense than my missus. :goodjob:

Pip

Sorry Oz...  :-[

I know I've said things here in the past (and will probably do so in the future :winker:) that may have been poorly worded, but honestly I'm not sure what could be misinterpreted as personal or OT with this post. :cool:

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA

I know I've said things here in the past (and will probably do so in the future :winker:) that may have been poorly worded, but honestly I'm not sure what could be misinterpreted as personal or OT with this post. :cool:

No worries Pip and thank you for taking what I said in good jest and no offence was intended towards you either, I'm sorry if I came across as overly reactive to your post and I didn't take it in anyway personal your post  :cool:

What I felt was misinterpreted Pip was you simple commented on my post rathere than throw in a constructive post on 'Older Drivers' in to the ring, I hope this explains it and I'm really interested in your posts .... so please if you feel I was OT in my reply ... I too am sorry.
Lets be friends and move .... but no big close hugs  :-[

Pip

No worries Pip and thank you for taking what I said in good jest and no offence was intended towards you either, I'm sorry if I came across as overly reactive to your post and I didn't take it in anyway personal your post  :cool:

What I felt was misinterpreted Pip was you simple commented on my post rathere than throw in a constructive post on 'Older Drivers' in to the ring, I hope this explains it and I'm really interested in your posts .... so please if you feel I was OT in my reply ... I too am sorry.
Lets be friends and move .... but no big close hugs  :-[

Well actually, I think you have completely missed the point I made WRT your opinion of older drivers.

This bit...
A lot of old people just focus on the road 30 metres ahead of them ...... some drive real slow and others far too fast, they have no peripheral vision or awareness
.. is not a valid description of older drivers but just (some) drivers.

And yes, this was a comment on your post which implied an unreasonable bias towards older drivers.

I assure you, none of this is or was personal but merely a rebuttle. :cool:

mick55
I'm 55 so I think 70+ and there are many highly competant safe drivers in this age group. Another poll could be what age group has the most dangerous and accident prone drivers? Insurance companies would suggest it is the 18 - 30 year age group. What do our members think? Sorry I don't know how to post a poll   duh :mrgreen:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Mick, here's some statistics from Australia.

Road Deaths - All users (drivers/pedestrians/cyclists etc) for the 12 months to Jan 2010

60+                  20+ years                19.7%
40 - 59             19 years                   25%
26 - 39             14 years                   23.1%
21 - 25             5 years                     11.8%
17 - 20             4 years                     12%
0 - 16               16 years                   7.5%

If you combine the 17 - 20 and 21 - 25 age groups you then cover 9 years which represent 23.8% of deaths.

So the 17 years to 25 years age group would seem tp be most at risk and apart from children, the 60+ group doesn't seem to be any worse than the other groups.
Of course, in analysing what this means, you have to take into account the fact that the age groups have been arbitrarily configured (ie what difference would it make to the percentages if you added a couple ofyears to where each group started?) and that different groups cover more or less kilometers in a year than others.
Younger drivers tend to drive a lot but not necessarily with a purpose (destination), whilst the 26 - 39 group would include a lot of commercial travellers and truck drivers (my assumption).
You might also find that pedestrian deaths are much higher among the 60+ group.

Also, somewhere I've seen figures which split the top groups differently - I think up to 55 and then 55 to 65 and then 66+ (but don't quote me on that).

mick55
Thanks for that, you make some very good points. I remember one of the highlights of turning 30 was receiving lower comprehensive insurance premiums. I think 55 is also a magic number so long as you are partially retired, unfortunately I'm not.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very interesting Stats Trevor.. as you say lots of variable come into play..

Even things like the type of cars they drive.. Young folks and their older commodores or early excels for example (older people with better safer cars etc..) :cool:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
Road Deaths - All users (drivers/pedestrians/cyclists etc) for the 12 months to Jan 2010

60+                  20+ years                19.7%
40 - 59             19 years                   25%
26 - 39             14 years                   23.1%
21 - 25             5 years                     11.8%
17 - 20             4 years                     12%
0 - 16               16 years                   7.5%

looks more like a case putting the age brackets togethor to suit! break it down to 5 year gaps across the board please  :confused:
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal