i30 Owners Club

Hi from Sydney, will be a new owner soon!

Boogs · 28 · 6019

Offline Boogs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi guys,
Matthew here just saying hello and a quickish introduction.

After owning highly modified cars for over 10 years and on a few car forums at present, its time to settle down, be sensible and now very seriously looking at a brand new i30 in the next 3 or so months. The only problem I have is whether turbo diesel or petrol lol.

I have my eyes on a SR 2.0 manual or a SLX 1.6 CRDi  possibly with the optional SR model 17's and dark tint. It's so hard to choose.  :confused:
Hyundai was never really a car that I considered in the past but after driving around in works SX 2.0 auto for a few weeks, I'm totally hooked. Comfy, roomy, the stock stereo rocked, it even handled pretty well throwing it thru some twisties on Old Pacific Highway and was very economical - especially on a return trip up to Taree and back, and I was very very impressed overall but found it a little sluggish at times, but as it's a Govt vehicle, it had only done less than 5,000km in 12months and only had a diet of E10 fuel.  I'd always run it on Shell V-Power if I went petrol anyway.

My only question re: t/d's.. After owning high performance petrol turbocharged cars, do any t/d owners use turbo timers on their vehicles. Would it be safe to drive a t/d without one or would I just be better off spending the few extra dollars in buying one for safe keeping. As this will be my first ever t/d car I've owned, or even diesel in that case, would just like a few opinions.

Majority of my driving is say, half City, half Highway and I rack up between 35 - 40,000km per year.

Thanks all. Hope to hear from you soon.  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Boogs and Welcome :D

I had a SLX CRDi 1.6 Manual Hatch from March 2008 to around August last year and did 68,000 kms before trading it on something bigger and quieter (A Camry Hybrid Luxury)

I have just bought my wife a MY11 2.0 Petrol Manual CW (Wagon) to replace our second car...

From what you have said you would get more satisfaction and about 30% better fuel economy out of a diesel.. That Push in the back from the standard 255nm of torque is hard to beat in such an economical vehicle. Remember you will recover probably half if not more of the extra you pay for the diesel in your resale  :cool:

I do have a new found respect for the qualities of the 2.0 petrol though.. it is much better than I had previously realised  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Welcome Boogs...

For me it's a no brainer....Get the diesel.
Flying up hills passing other cars while still in 5th gear will convince you of that.... :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome aboard mat.  :razz: i did the same as your looking at doing,i went from owning high performance cars and at 40 odd decided to by a 4 cyl car each. owning a bog stock car didn't last more than a month.  :rofl:  i again got the mod bug.  :cool: :goodjob:  our 2i30's are petrol but if i update down the track I'm going diesel . :razz:  one last thing mat,never put bio fuel in your i30 wether it be a petrol or a diesel.  :o  it will void your warranty.  :scared:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
one last thing mat,never put bio fuel in your i30 wether it be a petrol or a diesel.  :o  it will void your warranty.  :scared:

Wow. Is that right?
Not intending to use it but not looking forward to the death of ULP91 either. Fuel is expensive enough without going to 95. :twisted:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
Hi Matthew and welcome... :goodjob:

I have had my SLX 1.6 Crdi since June last year and clocked up 20k kms and I have to say it is one of the best cars I have had. Never been into performance cars as such but always like to have plenty of power in reserve,,, :mrgreen: The i30 turbo diesel does not disappoint and the economy is second to none!  :winker:
Even got me down to Tasmania Dazmania... :lol: last September and all in style...Hi to Dazzler and TrishCW... :razz:!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Even got me down to Tasmania Dazmania... :lol: last September and all in style...Hi to Dazzler and TrishCW... :razz:!!

Hi Nic  :D  Loving the CW just as much as the Crdi  :goodjob:

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
author=Dazzler link=topic=7956.msg93844#msg93844 date=1296119904
Hi Nic  :D  Loving the CW just as much as the Crdi  :goodjob:

Good to hear, but if your loving it what is Trish driving???
Maybe you should let her have a turn :lol: :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
one last thing mat,never put bio fuel in your i30 wether it be a petrol or a diesel.  :o  it will void your warranty.  :scared:

Wow. Is that right?
Not intending to use it but not looking forward to the death of ULP91 either. Fuel is expensive enough without going to 95. :twisted:
95,i only use 98.  :wink: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome boogs
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Hi Matthew and  :welcome:
Save the planet, buy a diesel (*)

(*) I think they are more environment-friendly, aren't they?
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline olddude

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Love the technology
Hi Boogs,

I have had many "sportier" petrol cars in the past but ended up liking V8's and the grunt rather than fast noisy buzz boxes. When lap dashing the V8 has it up the hills although is slower into the corners. My I30 Auto diesel was a good decision(not quite a V8 but has similar grunt). It is quiet for a diesel, yep it does smell like a diesel but it has the torque. Possibly not quite as quick as a petrol at take off(some turbo lag) but it laughs at hills and just seems to keep on going. If you do a lot of K's give the diesel a chance before opting for the petrol version it just makes driving so much easier, I would suggest a cruise control (not out when I got mine) because the little devils can be very deceptive, very easy to cruise at 110+ speeds if you don't keep an eye on the speedo and at economy of 6.5 ltrs or better per 100k's (at least for an auto, manuals seem to do a lot better). Anyway good luck with your purchase and have fun. This is a great site to get ideas, maybe too good at times.

Regards OLDDUDE

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

...This is a great site to get ideas, maybe too good at times.

This ponders me too sometimes :lol:

Offline Boogs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Boogs,

I have had many "sportier" petrol cars in the past but ended up liking V8's and the grunt rather than fast noisy buzz boxes. When lap dashing the V8 has it up the hills although is slower into the corners. My I30 Auto diesel was a good decision(not quite a V8 but has similar grunt). It is quiet for a diesel, yep it does smell like a diesel but it has the torque. Possibly not quite as quick as a petrol at take off(some turbo lag) but it laughs at hills and just seems to keep on going. If you do a lot of K's give the diesel a chance before opting for the petrol version it just makes driving so much easier, I would suggest a cruise control (not out when I got mine) because the little devils can be very deceptive, very easy to cruise at 110+ speeds if you don't keep an eye on the speedo and at economy of 6.5 ltrs or better per 100k's (at least for an auto, manuals seem to do a lot better). Anyway good luck with your purchase and have fun. This is a great site to get ideas, maybe too good at times.

Regards OLDDUDE

Hey olddude, cheers mate.. Yeah I'm leaning towards the diesel more and more actually. I'm actually pretty excited to be honest, like a kid in a toy shop. I want one now but I don't want the loan to go with it, plus figured waiting a few months towards the end of the financial year incase there are are upgrade changes and hopefully the 6 speed man will be introduced. LOL. *fingers crossed*  April/May I will be in a better position to lay down $25k or so outright for the car, which I'm planning on anyway.

but also, works i30 (petrol 2.0litre) had cruise and I have to say, I love it. Was instant, kept to the speed I set it at and it didn't seem to go over that set speed - not even by 1 or 2km/h. So I'll definitely get cruise anyway.
I'm sure the SLX/SR has it standard as it is. And also you're right about the quietness of the diesel, another thing I liked is that they don't sound like the old rattly oil burner. Had one idling next to me at the shops last week and I couldn't hear it, I only noticed it was a T/D because of the badge on the back. Another big plus!

I've noticed a stack of i30's on the road tho.. Dunno if I'm noticing them more cos I want one or not but it seems they are everywhere, which is good.. Obviously there is a pretty damn good selling car. :)

Cheers and thanks for more welcomes! :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

works i30 (petrol 2.0litre) had cruise and I have to say, I love it. Was instant, kept to the speed I set it at and it didn't seem to go over that set speed - not even by 1 or 2km/h. So I'll definitely get cruise anyway.

I've noticed a stack of i30's on the road tho.. Dunno if I'm noticing them more cos I want one or not but it seems they are everywhere, which is good.. Obviously there is a pretty damn good selling car. :)

I can vouch for the i30 Petrol Cruise being very good also.. Just as you described the Cruise on the Wife's 2.0 CW works a treat (Better than on my Hybrid)  :'(

And the i30 has been in the top 10 best selling cars in OZ for a long time now (got as high as 3rd at one stage I think.. ) That is why there are so many about..

They have sold absolutely bucket loads in WA :goodjob:

See Here:-
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=7691.0

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

1,035 million units?? That is, more than 1 of 20 citizens (including kids and newborns) drives an i30! And only for 2010!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

1,035 million units?? That is, more than 1 of 20 citizens (including kids and newborns) drives an i30! And only for 2010!

Your a silly "duffer" Babis  :rofl: 1.035 million is all the cars sold in Australia (not just i30's ) only 20 something thousand were i30's  :goodjob:

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
As Dazz said they sell heaps here in far away WA and in fact it's the No: 1 selling car here for 2010 and just a little point of interest here to ad ... we have the more millionairs living here in WA than any other state in Australia ...... so even rich people must like them  :D

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Your a silly "duffer" Babis  :rofl: 1.035 million is all the cars sold in Australia (not just i30's ) only 20 something thousand were i30's  :goodjob:

:-[  Eventually, i'm strong at maths but my logic sucks :whistler:

Offline dki30

• 1st Gear
Hi Boogs,
I bought a new SLX CRDi manual last September. Ordered a MY11, vivid blue and optioned the SR 17" rims plus dark tint.  The car is brilliant!!! Done 7,500km now and recently covered 2,500ks on holidays.  Me, my wife and two teenage kids plus luggage and all travelled comfortably, performance was fantastic and economy averaged 6.0l/100km.  These cars are awesome.  At the time of puchasing I was very tempted by a MY10 black SR the dealer had on the floor. He offered it for $25000 driveaway but I was very keen on the diesel.  I am absolutely glad I held off and went for the car I got and at $26900 driveaway (inc wheels, my choice of tyres; Toyo eco pluses, tint, h/light guards and mats) I am stoked.
You'll have no regrets with an SLX CRDi.
Cheers, dki30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I still get a kick out of those diesel rants .. yep great drive  :goodjob:

Offline Boogs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Boogs,
I bought a new SLX CRDi manual last September. Ordered a MY11, vivid blue and optioned the SR 17" rims plus dark tint.  The car is brilliant!!! Done 7,500km now and recently covered 2,500ks on holidays.  Me, my wife and two teenage kids plus luggage and all travelled comfortably, performance was fantastic and economy averaged 6.0l/100km.  These cars are awesome.  At the time of puchasing I was very tempted by a MY10 black SR the dealer had on the floor. He offered it for $25000 driveaway but I was very keen on the diesel.  I am absolutely glad I held off and went for the car I got and at $26900 driveaway (inc wheels, my choice of tyres; Toyo eco pluses, tint, h/light guards and mats) I am stoked.
You'll have no regrets with an SLX CRDi.
Cheers, dki30

Hi Dki, cheers mate, that sounds like a pretty good deal actually.. I was budgeting around the $26 - 27k mark on road.. There are a few dealers out there tho that are a rort but I've got two or three on my list to go see and get some figures.

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
G'day Boogs and welcome to the club, we bought our White SLX CRDI Auto with the minor upgrade for 2011(dark wheels and black headlight bezels) at the end of November last year for $26870.00 on road with slimline plates.  Cheers Gaz
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline Boogs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Gaz, cheers mate. that's alright for an auto..

Seeing thru car sales, there is a MY10 new manual SX petrol with an ISV pack - leather gear knob, pedals, electric sunroof, tint and 17's for $27k..  tempting, very nice I really prefer a SLX CRDi tho..
It's a run out sale with delivery kays on it...

oh gosh.. i've kinda forgotten about the hassles of buying a new car since it's been a while. :p

mattj255

Offline Boogs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Cheers Matt... :)

I know I will be.. :D

I just recently got my Satria GTi back on the road after 9 months so that took a bit of cash out of my budget
but the more I drive my works i30, the more and more I want one  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal