i30 Owners Club

Airline Safety Briefs

FatBoy · 32 · 7293

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I had to fly up to Sydney for work this week, and I was interested in how many people actually paid attention to the safety brief that the cabin crew give (or should I say, didn't pay attention).  I don't know whether they think that they already know the information (frequent business travellers), or just thought that they were safe.  I wonder how many would know where the nearest exit was if asked?

I for one, always pay attention to the brief, and make sure I count the seats to the nearest and secondary exits, and always re-read the safety card.  Call it professional courtesy to the crew, and a butt saving exercise.  In my previous job, I always made sure a safety brief was given before we took passengers, and we would quiz them on it too!!

On another work trip years back, a couple of young ladies were talking loudly during the safety brief.  The cabin crew (female) leaned over and said, not too quietly, "Ladies, shut the f*** up.  You may not be concerned about your safety, but other people are concerned about theirs!!"  Gotta love those Virgin girls!!

FatBoy

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I generally fly twice a week. The same attitude can be seen to the safety briefs on every flight. I usually sit in the front row or by the over wing exits. I could open the exits blind fold. I can recite the safety brief from memory, but I still watch intently

Its worth checking out the thomson kids flight briefing, that works at getting attention. There is a thread about it somewhere.

Sent from my Blade

Offline BarryD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Milton Keynes
 :D likewise, I fly once or twice a month - same sector (same crew even) and always pay attention.  They are doing for your safety. 

Always amazes me the people who cannot be bothered - it's all of three mintues.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
there is a program in oz called air crash investigation based on how and why a plane has crashed. the bulk of the survivors are usually the ones that are frequent fliers or listened to the pre flight safety info,or just damn lucky.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i listen... may as well, your life may count on it!

BTW i hate flying...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i never fly.  :-[ :scared:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
sometimes you have to!!! you cant drive everywhere!

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
I fly a couple of times a year, I also listen like you say it doesn't take long and it may save your life, but there is always someone that is rude, on my trip to Darwin last month the couple in the seat in front of me was very loud the whole trip. I wish I had ear plugs  to block them out.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
years ago [in my teens] i went on a helicopter ride with my parents at sea world while on a holiday.  half an hour later we all heard on the radio in the car that the same helicopter had crashed killing all on board. i haven't flown ever since that day.  :sweating: :scared:

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
years ago [in my teens] i went on a helicopter ride with my parents at sea world while on a holiday.  half an hour later we all heard on the radio in the car that the same helicopter had crashed killing all on board. i haven't flown ever since that day.  :sweating: :scared:

That was getting close, I can understand how you feel, although I love flying, but Daz doesn't like it very much.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i love going on boats,the wife hates it. she hates flying also. 

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
i love going on boats,the wife hates it. she hates flying also. 

Try doing both at the same time  :) :) :)

Helicopters at sea!!  God I love my job!!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

This sort of thing I struggle to understand.... :-\
Why would you be afraid of flying because of that incident, are you afraid to drive because someone was killed in a car accident? Sorry mate, not having a go at you....just trying to understand the logic of it, I guess.... :-[

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
meh, i can see the reason...

a close call is a close call, no need to tempt fate!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Why would you be afraid of flying because of that incident, are you afraid to drive because someone was killed in a car accident? Sorry mate, not having a go at you....just trying to understand the logic of it, I guess.... :-[

There's no logic in a fear of flying any more than in a fear of heights.
I've only had one helicopter ride (well, two. There and back). From Charlotte to Charlotte Motor Raceway for a night NASCAR race. Awesome trip.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've only had one ride in a helicopter and that was to hospital.... :-[

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It's very rare that anything exciting happens on a plane. I have't even looked out the window for the last 50 or so flights. good job I'm not the pilot  :rofl:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Should there be one everytime you get into your car?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well all this talk of flying just goes to show how good the i30 is  :rofl:
Me i don't mind flying, but if i have the time i'd rather get there a more interesting way. if i have one day to get there and its to Melbourne. i'd rather ride my Harley. If i have to take a bit more gear with me i'd drive the i30 CRDi as it takes more gear and gets there one full tank easy i could do it non stop too.
About safty & plane crashes...... there not safe. simple as that. but they are convinient, worst thing about Australia is if you want to fly to another country it takes forever so overseas travel is never much fun till you get were your going.

another way to look at say a flight to Melb or bris from syd, would take me around 9 hours driving to melb GPO from Syd GPO take about 10 to Bris if i fly it will take me 3/4 hour to get to airport, then i would have to park in long term parking that would take at least 20 mins to park then get transfered back to the terminal, then i would have over an hour to wait for plane and have all the joy's & pleasures of taking half my cloths off everything out my pockets then full body search. then getting everything back and getting dressed again then on arrival at Melb or Bris would be another hour at airport getting luggage 3/4 hour trip to the city so add up all they time waisted it's not that quick.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
i never fly.  :-[ :scared:
years ago [in my teens] i went on a helicopter ride with my parents at sea world while on a holiday.  half an hour later we all heard on the radio in the car that the same helicopter had crashed killing all on board. i haven't flown ever since that day.  :sweating: :scared:

I can see how it would put you off.. We're going on a Qantas plane soon (really looking forward to that)  :rolleyes:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Sorry Lakes, I'll have to disagree on one point, and agree on another.

Airline transport is one of the safest ways to travel, statistics prove that. Particularly in a highly regulated country such as Australia (or NZ, USA, UK etc). Much safer than driving. I know that when I fly, the guys (and girls) driving the jets have been properly trained (and that's all jets in Australia). Whereas you see regularly in the news that some accident was caused by an unlicensed, uninsured, drunk driver (who has lost their license yet continues to drive).

But flying is boring! I'd much rather drive. (or fly at low level, where you do see things)

Dazzler, don't believe all of the media hype about Qantas being unsafe and poorly maintained. It is generally a beat up by the media, driven by the unions, who are upset that their maintenance has been sent off shore. BTW, most of the incidents have occurred on aircraft maintained in Australia.

Qantas is still one of the safest airlines in the world. (No, I don't work for them or own any shares)

FatBoy

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
For those who would like a light hearted look at air safety briefings, go to youtube and search for "chopper air safety". I would post it, but think there may be a couple of swear words in that that may offend the more sensitive forum members.

I'm sure you will enjoy Chopper's take on air safety. :rofl: :rofl:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sorry Lakes, I'll have to disagree on one point, and agree on another.

Airline transport is one of the safest ways to travel, statistics prove that. Particularly in a highly regulated country such as Australia (or NZ, USA, UK etc). Much safer than driving. I know that when I fly, the guys (and girls) driving the jets have been properly trained (and that's all jets in Australia). Whereas you see regularly in the news that some accident was caused by an unlicensed, uninsured, drunk driver (who has lost their license yet continues to drive).

But flying is boring! I'd much rather drive. (or fly at low level, where you do see things)

Dazzler, don't believe all of the media hype about Qantas being unsafe and poorly maintained. It is generally a beat up by the media, driven by the unions, who are upset that their maintenance has been sent off shore. BTW, most of the incidents have occurred on aircraft maintained in Australia.

Qantas is still one of the safest airlines in the world. (No, I don't work for them or own any shares)

FatBoy

What about terroist threat? i used to fly international a lot, then that happened in USA i think that would be the worst way i could think of to die.
well i'm 62 years of age i have clocked up a lot of K's in Australia and Miles in USA still alive.
 but nothing against flying its the cheapest form of transport right now. in australia.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
The majority of casualties from the terrorist attacks on 11 September were on the ground!!  The only safe place to be now would be in a small, out of the way town, that the terrorists haven't heard of, nor care about.  Can we come and live at your place, Dazzler?

The terrorists will win when we stop doing what we used to do because we are scared of what could happen.

FatBoy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The majority of casualties from the terrorist attacks on 11 September were on the ground!!  The only safe place to be now would be in a small, out of the way town, that the terrorists haven't heard of, nor care about.  Can we come and live at your place, Dazzler?

FatBoy

Once I saw a picture of Bin Laden in his "den" and there was a map of the world looking sort of from below which made Tassie look quite big..  :eek: :confused: (that worried me a bit)  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Gotta love those Virgin girls!!

Mmmm... Isn't that the whole reason they ARE Virgin Girls??

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :rofl:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

The terrorists will win when we stop doing what we used to do because we are scared of what could happen.

FatBoy

FatBoy, i'll tell you something, i like excitement mate, anything exciting is dangeriouse if it kill's me so be it. rather die living than die of boredom.
Cheers m8
one thing how many people were on the ground? USA has a huge population, & how many were in the planes? then tell me how many from the planes survived.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal