i30 Owners Club

Dealer service v Hyundai service

feldom · 16 · 5301

Offline feldom

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Ilkley

• Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
My daughter was quoted £374 for the 2 year Hyundai service by the local Hyundai dealer. She complained about the price and was told the dealer could do the service for £145 but they would not use genuine Hyundai parts. I guess that would invalidate the warranty!
So how does it work. Does she get the same dealer stamp in her service book? Does the dealer log the service on Hyundai's computer with a special marker saying "not a genuine" Hyundai service? Or is it not registered at all with Hyundai? The actual facts are, that she would have had the correct service done by a genuine Hyundai approved dealer.
I am starting to question the usefulness of the 5 year warranty. Genuine services over that period would be around about £1000. DIY? what,  £150 - £200. Provided you don't get a major problem that would have been covered by Hyundai warranty, during that period you come out ahead.
Any comments on either of these dilemmas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent post feldom... (and good idea for a thread) I think you will get plenty of comments (although this can sometimes prove unpredictable)

I am still waking up  :winker: So I won't waffle as much as usual but here are a couple of thoughts to start things off..

Firstly, I am surprised that the dealer offered a second price with non genuine parts and also that there was such a difference in the quoted prices as Dealer labour charges usually amount to close to half most service bills.

I avoid dealer service (mostly) as not only do they charge top dollar but I believe they often get their lowly paid apprentices to do the work but still charge a premium labour rate.

My recommendation has always been to try and negotiate a good price on genuine parts (or in the case of that failing) use the equivalent identical Kia parts if you can get them considerably cheaper and get a respected local independent dealer to service your car/s. If you make it clear they will gain a loyal long term customer if they are efficient and realistic in their pricing they will hopefully look after you. 

I, and many other members shop around and buy good oil which we also supply for the service to save further cost.

As long as  you keep all your receipts and get the service book stamped and dated etc..your warranty should be fine and your wallet a lot healthier.

P.S. No guarantees an independent won't use an apprentice (but hurts less if the cost is halved)
P.P.S. Ok, I waffled (but I am passionate about this topic...)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Sounds like her dealer is talking BS mate, 2nd year service should be around the £150-£200 mark.  Use of non-Hyundai parts as you rightly point out would invalidate the warranty which I would point out is actually very good, I had an anti-roll bar and two TPMS valves replaced FOC at coming up to the 3 year mark, saving me somewhere in the region of £700.

Sent from my 1000et
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That price is exhorbitant for a comfort diesel, in anybodys book.

The 2nd [year] service on my Premium model was just £224.

I've no idea of the validity of the warranty if non-genuine parts are used, but would be very wary of a dealership that even considered offering such a compromise. Me, personally, being the hardnosed git that I am, might even consider querying the offer with Head Office.

Scrap all the above if, in fact, the non-genuine parts are those supplied by Kia, as Dazz said.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Mike....

I have nothing to say further than the others have said, get on the Hyundai an ask them whats going on here.  Is this a case of a mechanic thinking he could treat a female customer with great disrespect ?????    good luck with it and let us know how things pan out 

Asa

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
Disgraceful in my mind to try to con a motorist like that. A dealer could lose their franchise for offering non Hyundai parts too. Let the phone do the work and ring a few dealers in the area and you can knock off over hundred pounds off that price. After you find the cheapest dealer trying ringing the others back so they can either match or beat the price but give the original con artist a wide berth.

The five year warranty is worth well over £1000 if you took out a third party warranty and the third party one would not cover or be nearly as good as the Hyundai one. Don't risk losing it as in 5 years you are bound to use it at least once  :goodjob:
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Am I missing something here?

A couple of the above posts read as if you have to pay extra in the UK for 5 year warranty. That can't be right. Can it???

And feldom, there are other topics on here about this parts issue. It seems that the consumer laws are different in different countries. In Australia, if you used non genuine parts the only section of your warranty that "may" be affected is that relating to flow through from the non-genuine part. And if that failed, you have recourse to the original supplier of that part.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.

Am I missing something here?

Surferdude, not sure I can help you with that. Maybe your partner/wife might be able to help  :rofl:

As to the warranty, no you don't pay extra here but if you had to purchase a car warranty for five years it would cost well over £1000. My Ford only came with 3 years warranty so took another 2 years warranty cover out after 3 years and it cost £250 each year.  :blubber:
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
in my opinion,they have seen the young lady coming a mile away.  :mad: :disapp: I'll bet my left arm that if you had taken her car in for a service it would have been a different story.  :idea: 
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Mine was a lot less than what you have been quoted.

I think it was same as shambles price.

Ring a few other dealers and ask them for a price. I would expect them to be lower.

You could then present the lower prices to the dealer and see if they will match.

If not then consider travelling to the lower priced dealer especially if the saving is less than the fuel you would use plus your time.

The dealer I use will give you a timed service and you can wait, if you want, while they do it.

HY UK will probably tell you that they do not set the service price as a franchised dealer can set what they wish/the market will pay.

You can always use a non franchised garage so long as they use the genuine HY parts and they are VAT registered as this will keep the warranty valid.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Forgive me for butting in here guys but, in Europe, the law is that as long as you have any motor dealer or independent garage fit / supply components or fluids that are of identical or better quality as the manufacturers AND that they can demonstrate they have followed the manufacturers service routine for the age / mileage, the Warranty cannot be voided. Any independent garage has to be V.A.T. registered of course.

In my experience "equal or better quality" really means a "known manufacturer". In the case of lubricant the key is to match the requirements of the manufacturers chosen lubricant in every way regarding type, weight, grade, quantity & specification. Even manufacturers that are based outside of Europe but are selling into Europe must comply.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Forgive me for butting in here guys but, in Europe, the law is that as long as you have any motor dealer or independent garage fit / supply components or fluids that are of identical or better quality as the manufacturers AND that they can demonstrate they have followed the manufacturers service routine for the age / mileage, the Warranty cannot be voided. Any independent garage has to be V.A.T. registered of course.

In my experience "equal or better quality" really means a "known manufacturer". In the case of lubricant the key is to match the requirements of the manufacturers chosen lubricant in every way regarding type, weight, grade, quantity & specification. Even manufacturers that are based outside of Europe but are selling into Europe must comply.

I don't have my service book to hand but I'm sure it says HY parts and therefore prevents you using components or fluids that are not embossed with Hy/Kia logo.

I know I mentioned VAT registered as well but I remember recently there was a report from the European courts which may overrule this requirement.  Not sure if this has been enacted yet but if and when it is I wonder what new terms manufacturers will add for warranty conditions.

Offline feldom

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Ilkley

• Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks all, for the answers in thread.
There appears to be a difference of opinion between Ffoxy and eye30 regarding what would or would not invalidate the warranty. Especially around the area of same or better quality parts. Quality of oil in the engine would be a difficult one to determine, I would imagine.
I own an i30 which will be due for it's first service in August so I will check the small print in my warranty book. I will look round the net for other posts re warranty claims.
Thanks again
Mike

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

To ensure that my warranty isn't compromised I will be using a HY franchised service dealer for services 1 to 4. 
I may decide to use them for service 5, although it will probably be outside the warranty.

For Service 6 plus, if I still own the car, I will check prices at Hy dealer and independents and select the best deal.

By using the dealer, if HY UK query any part used and decide the correct part/liquid/oil etc wasn't used then the dealer will be compromised and will have to rectify.  I don't think I would have this recourse if it was serviced by an independent.

Just as a side note. 
I've found my local HY dealer to be very competative on the service cost when matched against independents and for that extra few £, yes just a few £, for peace of mind I will use them.

I know of other HY dealers, some xx miles away, do charge more for the same service, I phoned to get prices, so you do need to shop around even with Hy dealers.

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
Hi ask a local non-Hy garage the price difference for using genuine parts, for my second service it was about £20 extra which I paid to keep the warranty valid. About £150 in total from memory for a petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I know of other HY dealers, some xx miles away, do charge more for the same service, I phoned to get prices, so you do need to shop around even with Hy dealers.

In Tassie because of our lower population, we only have one dealer with 4 locations so can't shop around if we want to use the dealer (who is pretty expensive) :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal