i30 Owners Club

Another day with Meguiar's (pic heavy)

Nagaz · 17 · 4064

Offline Nagaz

• 2nd Gear
Hi All,

I received my i30 SLX CRDi on Friday 25th, September but did not post anything as Melbourne had a crazy amount of rain, and the car looked terrible. Now, HyerSilver in all her glory! Meguiar's added that extra 'pop' that makes it really stand out!

------------------------

Well, I finally received my new Hyundai i30 (new daily driver) last week, with an added extra.
I arrived at the dealership and when finalising all the paperwork, the dealer advises that they have 'mistakenly' put 'Ming paint protection' on the car (a cost of $900 if I was to pay for it). They stated that it was an error on their part and as such, I get it for free. Hearing this news, i winced on the inside, knowing that someone, somewhere has used some sort of cloth/sponge on my new car!

The car looked great, no noticeable swirls, scratches or anything of concern. It was clean and looked like a new car should. I had planned to start a proper detailing regime the following day (Saturday), but as Melbourne weather would have it, it rained. It rained for 4 days straight! (not bad considering we are in a drought).

So that weekend was lost, a whole week passed, until finally, today I had a chance to have a go at it.

This was my first detail ever so I was a little apprehensive but think it came out great!

Entire detail was down outdoors on an overcast, but warm day. Daily driver will not be garaged, as I don't own one
Products:

Process was as follows:
Hose down
Wheels sprayed with Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner
Wheels hosed down again
2 bucket method wash (extra bucket for wheels) - 2 Microfiber Mits - NXT Wash
Dried using Water Magnets
G220 - w8006 pad - Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (No need to clay as paint was 'glass like' to the touch)
Deep Crystal Polish - Applicator Pad
G220 - w9006 pad - NXT Tech Wax 2.0 Liquid x 2 coats
Ultimate Quick Detail after an hour to really bring the shine up

Vacuumed interior
All Purpose Cleaner (10:1) for scuff marks
Quick Interior Detail (amazing product!)
Gold Class Dash & Trim Foam (amazing product!)
Detailer Glass Cleaner (10:1) - All windows (interior & exterior)

So after all that, the car now looks like what a new car really should look like. Clean, shiny and 'pops' like it was meant to. The polish really does make a difference, as it adds a lot of depth. NXT 2.0 makes it look wet constantly, which is what I was hoping for.

Lessons Learned:
- Slowdown with the G220. It's really easy to move fast and get it over and done with.
- Don't drop MF towels, its just a waste of washing!
- Sit back and enjoy the final product when done!

Below are some pictures of the final product (sun was going down, so not that great):
il/IMG_3876_640x480.jpg" class=" highslide bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" onclick="return hs.expand(this, { slideshowGroup: '41834' })">il/IMG_3874_640x480.jpg" class=" highslide bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" onclick="return hs.expand(this, { slideshowGroup: '41834' })">il/IMG_3875_640x480.jpg" class=" highslide bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" onclick="return hs.expand(this, { slideshowGroup: '41834' })">il/IMG_3872_640x480.jpg" class=" highslide bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" onclick="return hs.expand(this, { slideshowGroup: '41834' })">

So thats it!

Any advice would be gratefully accepted and appreciated.
Thanks to all those who came before me as so much information was/is available and has come in handy.

- Nagaz

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
i ..just..aaa..umm..what... :eek:

umm what is paint cleaner?
 :-[

its very pretty but i have spent all weekend trying to learn how to clean and protect car and i'm so confused and now i read that and just feel sad  :'(

i just wish i knew already, i've already found Snows first biggish stone chip. and all i can do is just hand wash her and nothing else.
its ok i'll get there and a fantastic job  :D

------

as an aside, why use a buffer? don't they scratch the car?
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
^^ This is the reason why I bought a white car... :lol: I don't know where to begin.. I just wash my car with whatever my dad uses.

Nagaz you're car is so shiny that we can see you in several pics... :wink:
  • 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline Nagaz

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the kind words...

snowcherry: A paint cleaner will remove 'below surface contaminants' where as washing a car will remove 'above surface contaminants'. To clean this further, you can use a clay bar, but in my case, this was not necessary, yet... Dont be disheartened, I spent the 3 month waiting period for my i30 researching the correct process of what to do, how to do it and what products to use.. The 'buffer' as you mentioned is not actually a buffer in the general sense. Its what is called a Dual Action or "Random Orbital Buffer". Rather then just spinning in the one direction, the disc spins as well as the entire axle. This way you get no scratches (assuming you use the right product) and cannot 'burn' the paint. This saves time and ensures that you use the same pressure over the entire car.

sweetbix: Thanks, thats what I was going for... You can still acheive the same on a white car, just need to use the right products..

With what I have done, i wont need to wax again for a few months, but will wash every weekend as long as the weather holds out...

If anyone has questions about my process, I am more then happy to help. By no means do I think I am a professional, nor experienced, but I learnt a lot today, and although strange, really enjoyed cleaning my car. In fact, I am actually looking forward to getting out there and doing it all again.. In the long run, it will save me $$ on paint work!

Nagaz

Offline karhung

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Caroline Springs
wow. Impressive :D. Looks great..

Now just one question? is ur window tinted? and (maybe two Q) if so doesn't using products on the interior window (Detailer Glass Cleaner (10:1) - All windows (interior & exterior)) wreck the tint?

Nagaz, which part of melbourne r u from?
Hope you can join us on our Melbourne meet on Nov 8th (Sunday).
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3203.30.html   

It be great to have another member to join!! More to talk and pix to take :D

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
thanks nagaz for answering my question! i had read about clay just yesterday so the surface contaminants bit made sense  :)

actually i would have another Q for you. i am currently looking into interior cleaners
i need cleaner/conditioner for the leather, thats ok. and protector for the fabric. here i'm not so sure
are you going to protect your seats and if so what with?
i was going to grab scotchguard but apparently 303 is much preferred, i just have to order it in
or do nothing at all which many choose to do as well

@karhung. when i got my car tinted last week i asked about detailing and he said to not detail inside car for two weeks to prevent moisture getting back into tint. i presumed it would be ok after that?

Offline Nagaz

• 2nd Gear
Hi All,

karhung: Windows are tinted from dealership, and cleaning wont harm them. That is as long as you use a cleaner with NO amonia. It is amonia that destroys the tint, turns it purple and really makes you wish you did your homework. Things like Windex, Shower Glass Cleaner and the like are the things you should never use on your car, it really will damage the tint. Meguiar's Detailer Glass Cleaner comes in a 3.8ltr bottle, that makes 38 liters of cleaner once diluted. Enough for a life time, but I use it arouond the house for windows, mirrors, etc... Also, as a side note, never use dishwashing soap to clean your car! :P

Im in Endeavour Hills (South East Melbourne) so there is no issue if I can get to the meet, just need to make sure the other-half hasnt got something organised. I'll confirm in the other thread, closer to the date...

snowcherry: I havent used a leather cleaner as I have the SLX (no leather trim, well, not much). If you are wanting to do seats (SR model) then you will need a dedicated cleaner. I'll look into it for you ange let you know what I can find. I looked at 303, but preferred the use of Scotchguard (for the effectiveness and cost). Scotch guard will protect your seats (reapply it every 6-8 months) and wont cost you the earth. 303 is great, especially if you want to protect your leather from UVA/UVB damage, but is expensive for what it is. I would think scotchguard and a dedicated leather cleaner (ill get back to you on this one) will be sufficient. I know i have seen some leather cleaners in the Meguiar's range (and others) that also inclue UV protection...

Keep the questions coming!

Nagaz

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
oh sorry nagaz i think i'm ok with the leather side - i'm going to order some Lexol, i like the look of that one. it was the fabric side i wasn't sure on....sorry for not being clear  :-[

i have just been reading mostly (washing the car with just some maguires car wash only at this stage) while i learn as i don't want to damage anything. i've read a couple of rather conflicting points on the scotchguard - one being possible discolouration and the other that the guard oddly can make the fabric hard to clean, while the 303 has neither problem. but the info doesn't seem conclusive so i'm still reading.
thanks for replying :)

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
not sure where else to write this
popped in to see a guy in town today who was recommended to detail my car

ummm i'm a bit scared as he says never use car wash, only dishwashing detergent
surely as a soap this is a major no-no??  :eek:

i think i need to keep looking (trying to find a good detailer to get it polished etc so i can just wash it - keep getting it done like that every few months or so i think)

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
not sure where else to write this
popped in to see a guy in town today who was recommended to detail my car

ummm i'm a bit scared as he says never use car wash, only dishwashing detergent
surely as a soap this is a major no-no??  :eek:

That's something I've definitely been told NOT to do...  :eek:
  • 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Definitely not, dishwash style detergents are strongly alkaline in order to remove protein/fat residues at fairly high temperatures.

Cars should not be washed in "hot" water as this removes the wax protection.
There will be no protein/fat on your car therefore you should use a car shampoo such as Meguiars Liquid Gold or Autoglym Conditioning Shampoo.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I like to clean and wax my car:

• I enjoy doing it myself
  • Its a reasonable upper body workout
  • I know the water and microfibres are clean
  • I get to choose good products
  • Saves money
  • It gets done more often

I do however pay someone to clean my house windows  :lol:

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
looks good :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I like to clean and wax my car:

• I enjoy doing it myself
  • Its a reasonable upper body workout
  • I know the water and microfibres are clean
  • I get to choose good products
  • Saves money
  • It gets done more often

I do however pay someone to clean my house windows  :lol:

Me too :lol: :lol:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Definitely not, dishwash style detergents are strongly alkaline in order to remove protein/fat residues at fairly high temperatures.

this is what i thought! he was highly recommended, apparently he can clean anything from anything, but this really has me worried as to how he achieves his results. i will keep searching. i have another town to look at yet

Offline Nagaz

• 2nd Gear
Snowcherry: From all my research there is only one time you would actually reach for the dish soap, and that is when you want to strip your car of all the products put on it. As bumpkin has said, dish soap is designed to remove fats, proteins and grease from your kitchen ware. Like a paint cleaner, dish soap will remove all the wax, polish and other products you have put on your car, but it will do it a lot faster while washing it. In fact, I have spoken to people (detailers) who use this method, and then wash the car using a ph neutral soap to remove incorrectly applied products. The other main issue with dish soap that should make you run and hide from that detailer is that dish soap is 'abrasive' in nature (due to its fat and greasing removing compounds) and will actually abrade the clear coat faster then normal washing. Most people I have spoken to have advised they will use dish soap once a year (twice at maximum) for a cra that is washed weekly, waxed monthly and not used daily. As such, i'd suggest that dish soap is a no-no...

If you want an easy all in one product and you want to get into the detailing yourself, have a look ColorX from the Meguiar's range. I have used this on my fiance's car and it comes up great. Its slightly abrasive, great wax and can be used often without issue. It also revives the color, cleans the paint and has a small amount of polish in it. Its actually a Cleaner Wax as it does both, it cleans the paint (after washing) and leaves a highly durable wax.

Nagaz

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal