i30 Owners Club

Replacing headlight bulbs revisited I & II

Lorian · 152 · 101670

Pip
Here's a thought I've been pondering on.

Most people would accept that electronic devices are sensitive instruments with circuit connections finer than a human hair. Why is it that there are no reports of voltage spike damage to these devices but a robust high temperature wire filament is failing on a regular basis in some cars  :question:

I think the answer to this is simply that the current required for the electronics is so relatively little that filtering and regulating their supply is simple. No voltage spikes should ever reach them.

Bright filaments on the other hand are surprisingly fragile. It doesn't help that they have a much lower resistance when cold and the in-rush current when first powered will be many times that when hot. It would be my belief that they pop when turned on and probably more so if that coincides with cranking the engine which I suspect produces spikes from the starter motor.

The general advice to start the engine with the lights off is good advice I think.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Just emphasising that my problem with headlight blowouts in a CRDi occurs even though I don't leave my headlights in the ON position all the time, and so they are OFF when car is started.

If you have a CRDi there is a known issue that Hyundai can fix.

4 months with no headlights blown after 10 in 9 months, TOUCH WOOD.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
drugginst

How did Hy fix the problem, did they explain to you at all  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Search for headlight blown or posts by me on the forum and you will see an explanation. The problem was fixed in November 2011 and posts were put up around that time.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Found it, thanks  :goodjob2:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Found it, thanks  :goodjob2:

You might have linked. Now I've got to search!

With over 55 years driving I have never ever  changed a headlamp bulb and only  changed two or three other bulbs.

I noticed the fog lamp bulbs in the i30 were Phillips Germany when I fitted the leds.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Searching is good for you, however, to cut a long story short, HY said it was due to high resistance in the earth side of the circuit. So power is ok but the connection of the housing to the chassis is poor (somewhere). On that basis, If my car was blowing bulbs frequently, I would put my own earth wire in to fix the problem.

Pip
Searching is good for you, however, to cut a long story short, HY said it was due to high resistance in the earth side of the circuit. So power is ok but the connection of the housing to the chassis is poor (somewhere). On that basis, If my car was blowing bulbs frequently, I would put my own earth wire in to fix the problem.

I'm having trouble accepting their explanation.  :confused: While it's not clear exactly where the high resistance from the poor earth is inserted, any extra resistance into the head lamp circuit can only reduce the current.  For the light to blow it must have an increased current whether that be continuous, momentarily or transiently it must by definition raise the temperature to the point where the filament fuses.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'm just echoing the explanation from Hy. Apparently, after resolving the high resistance, the blown light problem ceased.  :neutral:

Pip
I'm not doubting what you were told... just whether it was the truth and if it was, how it fixed it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You need to ask Druggist, as he was the original recipient of this information.

Pip

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's ok, Could it be that the high resistance is intermittent and when the resistance goes "low" that blows the bulb.  :question:

Pip
That's ok, Could it be that the high resistance is intermittent and when the resistance goes "low" that blows the bulb.  :question:

No. The resistance can't go too low. That's why I queried the explanation given. It sounds like technobabble to me.  :wink:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
My pluses have been in over a year too, working fine.

Didn't last much over a year though,  as one blew yesterday (dipped beam). I therefore wouldn't recommend nightbreakers any longer.

Only good thing is now I can change bulbls with no tools and without really looking, only took 3 minutes, a big difference to when I first tried when the car was new.

Offline hyundai_on_thames

• 2nd Gear
Shambles,

You! will! not! damage! your! paintwork! removing! the! headlamp! units!

YOU SOUND ANGRY MATE  :-[ :-[ :-[

Maybe not, but You! Will! Damage! Your! headlight! Glass! by scratching it, if you are not forensically careful. Because there's a sharp piece of metal pointing downwards which catches the headlight glass housing on the outer top corner, this is designed to scratch your glass (which seems to be soft - does metal normally easily scratch glass?)

I know 'cos I read the quoted post and even being aware & careful, my attention was on the opposite corner of the HL before I noticed the scratch.

I changed both sides' bulbs today as we are having a very rare non-rainy day here in the UK.
The RH (as seen from drivers seat) side is really easy as the washer bottle comes off in 2 mins. But the LH side is a bitch and even were the battery out, access seems more cramped than the other side.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Maybe not, but You! Will! Damage! Your! headlight! Glass! by scratching it, if you are not forensically careful. Because there's a sharp piece of metal pointing downwards which catches the headlight glass housing on the outer top corner, this is designed to scratch your glass (which seems to be soft - does metal normally easily scratch glass?)

The lamps are plastic not glass and, yes, will  be scratched quite easily.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've ripped my headlights out a squillion times and never had an issue with scratching them....and I'm certainly not "forensically careful"....  :undecided:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid: though my count of headlamp extractions is somewhat less than a squillion
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Like my mum used to say, "If I've told you once I've told you a million times - DON'T EXAGGERATE!"
  • Tertius the i30

Offline alc2

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
Te 2-nd  time  i  remove  my  headlights  i  did  scratch  in  the   same  sharp metal  piece ....

Offline coolbzk

• 2nd Gear
2 days ago I just replaced the headlight bulb for my  2009 diesel Wagon.

what I did was :

unscrew the 3  screws (2 on the top , 1 inside )
detach the power cable for headlight module.

then I unmounted the whole headlight module out of my car easily~

after replaced the bulb, remount it , connect the power cable and 3 screws
  • i30 slx wagon

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
As coolbzk says, it really is a simple job to remove and replace the headlight assembly.

Well done, coolbzk :goodjob2: :Agoodjob:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
I am so frustrated with bulbs, i cant do it myself and going to a service becouse of this takes too many time and especially money!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I am so frustrated with bulbs, i cant do it myself and going to a service becouse of this takes too many time and especially money!

Ogi the bulbs are totally do-able, after the first time I was able to change all my bulbs in about 15 - 20 minutes.
What stops you being able to change yours?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
Do-able my ass.   :rofl:

I can't imagine  harder way for changing bulbs than on i30, i need to like dismount half of the car for changing a bulb !???
I tried to pull the headlight out but i coudn't do it becouse it was stuck, it wouldnt get out...  i need to go to a Hyundai mechanic to change a bulb, how stupid is that !?
What if a bulb dies somewhere on the road in the middle of nowhere, in the night !???

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Time for a pictorial on changing light bulbs, both sides, I think. :idea:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal