i30 Owners Club

Replacing headlight bulbs revisited I & II

Lorian · 152 · 101676

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :whsaid:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's about a 24k round trip for me....
Works out just right, I'm having my last slurp as I pull up in my driveway.... :D

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Are you trying to confuse me, Lorian? How does colour make it harder to remove?  :eek:

I think maybe the black ones have a bigger lip on the bottom (I didn't measure it) becuase it's only folk with the black ones that seem to ever have problems. I did remove mine completely a couple of weeks ago to re-replace the bulbs, and sure it doesnt take long, but it did take a reasonable amount of force.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Oh ok.... :neutral:
I was quite surprised mine were quite loose once I removed the bolts. It was almost as if the headlights had been out before.....Then again, they may have been as I had headlight skins fitted as part of the deal when I bought the car. Can't really imagine why they'd need to remove the lights to do that though...  :-\

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, I took the plunge and decided to order a set of H1 & H7 Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs off eBay.

Fingers crossed they arrive safely and I don't have too much trouble installing them. I'll keep you all posted.... :cool:

Well, my globes turned up from the UK last week and today I decided to have a go at fitting them.....

All I can say is I don't know what people have been worried about, I had the drivers side cluster out, both H1 & H7 globes installed and then back in the car in about 12 minutes.....
The passenger side was done even quicker.... :goodjob:

Well, it's now been exactly 12 months since I fitted the Osram Nightbreaker Plus Globes and, touch wood, I haven't had any trouble with them blowing. 
I've happy with the performance and their longitivity so I'm more than happy to recommend them.... :goodjob:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Well, it's now been exactly 12 months since I fitted the Osram Nightbreaker Plus Globes and, touch wood, I haven't had any trouble with them blowing. 
I've happy with the performance and their longitivity so I'm more than happy to recommend them.... :goodjob:
Hmm, it is totally different to what I have heard from Russian Osram Nightbreaker owners (3 months life time on average)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hmm, it is totally different to what I have heard from Russian Osram Nightbreaker owners (3 months life time on average)

Mine lasted 2-3 months too, and they were some "Plus" series, which should last longer, then "ordinary" NightBreaker bulbs..

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Mine lasted 2-3 months too, and they were some "Plus" series, which should last longer, then "ordinary" NightBreaker bulbs..

Poor showing from Osram, and they weren't cheap either  :fum:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

does osram have a warranty?  :idea: :winker:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

You don't get something for nothing. Bulb life and brightness is related to the diameter of the filament.  The thinner the filament the brighter the light and the  shorter the life.  The gas fill is mainly  to preserve the filament not to improve the light per se.

If headlights could be genuinely brighter without affecting the lifetime don't you think vehicle manufacturers would use them instead of developing HID lamps?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

We have to take into account that the CRDi has a cloud over it as far as globe longevity goes  :whistler:  Hopefully this will be sorted in the 2012 model (fingers crossed)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my 2 i30s are three years old and Ive only changed one low beam bulb in my hatch,both cars still run the factory bulbs.  :winker:  but brake light bulbs in the cw,now that's a different story.  :wacko: :faint:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

my 2 i30s are three years old and Ive only changed one low beam bulb in my hatch,both cars still run the factory bulbs.  :winker:  but brake light bulbs in the cw,now that's a different story.  :wacko: :faint:

I must check Trish's CW brake lights (although they should have been checked at the 12 months service in January)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

I must check Trish's CW brake lights (although they should have been checked at the 12 months service in January)
i've replaced 6 in 3 years.  :disapp: :mad:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I checked Trish's they are fine  :happydance:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I checked Trish's they are fine  :happydance:
:sweating: :goodjob2: :goodjob: :mrgreen:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I do a lot of night driving so I'm pretty happy to have made it to the 12 month mark with these Osrams, especially in light of the trouble some have had with the diesel and standard globes....

What may have helped is I always start the engine with the headlights off...... :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I do a lot of night driving so I'm pretty happy to have made it to the 12 month mark with these Osrams, especially in light of the trouble some have had with the diesel and standard globes....

What may have helped is I always start the engine with the headlights off...... :)

I have long suspected that is the secret  :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

we do the same thing Russ,the one that blew on my hatch was due to the lights being switched on when i started the car.   :-[:disapp:

Offline Daken76

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Germany, Franken

• My other Ride is a GT650
Hy there Drivers.

Yes it´s hard to fight with the bulbs if they are burnt.
As i asked at the Garage for that problem, they told me that the i30 is a called "Lampenfresser" which means it´s a "lampeater".

I changed a few times my driving lights between the last fifteen month. so i know about that prob with the bulbs.

now i fitted a Spike killer on my battery because the  peaks of the  lightmachine (generator) can send pulses on switched on demands.

the varistor inside the box should eleminate?  :undecided: the peaks.

I try it out the next few month and report to you.
  • 2008er 2.0 crdi cw white leather clima 18"DBVs tint windows ms design

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hy there Drivers.

Yes it´s hard to fight with the bulbs if they are burnt.
As i asked at the Garage for that problem, they told me that the i30 is a called "Lampenfresser" which means it´s a "lampeater".

I changed a few times my driving lights between the last fifteen month. so i know about that prob with the bulbs.

now i fitted a Spike killer on my battery because the  peaks of the  lightmachine (generator) can send pulses on switched on demands.

the varistor inside the box should eleminate?  :undecided: the peaks.

I try it out the next few month and report to you.

Daken76: That would be great.

In case it really expands the life time of the bulbs, please write more about it. How it works, how it looks, where can we buy it and how to install it. My father in law is changing the bulbs every 2 months and is getting sick of it frankly speaking.. That's actually one of the rare things that he doesn't like about i30  :rolleyes:

Offline Daken76

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Germany, Franken

• My other Ride is a GT650
accim:

The  Overvoltage Protection is factured by Kemo.

Take a look at www.kemo-electronic.eu to find out more about it.  ;)

You just screw it between the both poles of your battery. It doesn´t need current if the car stands still. It just surpresses constantly all voltage spikes in the supply system of the motor vehicles its used in.
Prevertion of damage tot the sensitive supply sistem electronics through voltage spikes in the supply sys.  :winker:

Greetings to Slovenia.

Steve
  • 2008er 2.0 crdi cw white leather clima 18"DBVs tint windows ms design

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

In case it really expands the life time of the bulbs, please write more about it. How it works, how it looks, where can we buy it and how to install it. My father in law is changing the bulbs every 2 months and is getting sick of it frankly speaking.. That's actually one of the rare things that he doesn't like about i30  :rolleyes:

Does he start his car with the lights on accim? If he does slap his bottom and tell him to stop it.. :whistler:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Holding on firmly to a pencil (wood)

At almost 4 years old & with 29,000 miles plus on the clock my petrol version is still on its original bulbs. Does the Auto-lights system help preserve them I wonder?
My lights are always on... but on Auto... plus the DRL's I have fitted enable me to drive more without headlights on... but I make a judgement call on when full lighting is needed.

Or are the petrol versions just not such voracious bulb-eaters?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Don't know myself as mine left original bulb had lived for 1.5 year (2.5 years since car's production) or 32000 km with lights always on when it died, then I decided to change both bulbs

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I assume the more "powerful" battery/alternator set-up required for a diesel engine puts more strain on the globes  :confused:

The CRDi does seem far more prone to headlight globe failure....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Here's a thought I've been pondering on.

Most people would accept that electronic devices are sensitive instruments with circuit connections finer than a human hair. Why is it that there are no reports of voltage spike damage to these devices but a robust high temperature wire filament is failing on a regular basis in some cars  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, go figure  :lol:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Lets not forget the diesel engines front end vibration element.
And is a tailgate on an estate heavier than a boot-lid on a hatchback?
Slamming those down might explain the rear bulb failures on estates if so, as in theory at least, you might expect the tailgate of an estate to get more use than a hatchback rear door?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal