i30 Owners Club

Auto Diesel 1.6 2011 7000 miles

Offline h2Olondon

• 2nd Gear
On a run I get about 42 to 45 mpg ( depending  on o/s temp) Around town (london outskirts) low 30`s.
Anyone else got this? What about manual models?
I beleve the new  1.7  diesel is recond to be a bit better.
Any one else unhappy wih the virtually useless trip computer.
The only ones any good seem to be on VW and Vauxhalls. You need to have total average as well as current trip average as well as previous trip average.
Also the trip adjustsment after fill up does not say current average x fuel added = distance to go.
What it says is the last approx 200 miles was X mpg x fuel added.
This is not helpfull because we rarely do similar journeys that often
Comments please

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My i30CRDi has averaged 48.5 mpg over 11000 miles since new. I guess that is a mixture of 60% motorways, 20% main roads and 20% town driving.

I don't have a problem with the trip computer - my last 3 cars have been an Audi A6 petrol, an Audi A4 Petrol and an Audi A3 diesel with the trip features you mention - but I am quite happy with the i30 instrumentation. This is because I have yet to find a trip computer that is truly accurate regarding fuel economy. I brim my tank every time I refuel and note the litres loaded and the odometer reading which is fed into an Excel spreadsheet to calculate and record the fuel economy. As far as I am concerned it is the only way to get an accurate figure.  The trip computer gives you only a rough approximation.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome h2Olondon...

Maybe you could post something you like about your i30.. :'(

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
My i30CRDi has averaged 48.5 mpg over 11000 miles since new. I guess that is a mixture of 60% motorways, 20% main roads and 20% town driving.

I don't have a problem with the trip computer - my last 3 cars have been an Audi A6 petrol, an Audi A4 Petrol and an Audi A3 diesel with the trip features you mention - but I am quite happy with the i30 instrumentation. This is because I have yet to find a trip computer that is truly accurate regarding fuel economy. I brim my tank every time I refuel and note the litres loaded and the odometer reading which is fed into an Excel spreadsheet to calculate and record the fuel economy. As far as I am concerned it is the only way to get an accurate figure.  The trip computer gives you only a rough approximation.

:whsaid:

also

Your engine is still new, so you can expect better fuel consumption still to come.
You haven't indicated your driving style or normal cruising speed when you travel.  Some of our members have come from larger more powerful cars and are still adjusting their driving to suit the diesel. The most efficient speed is around 50-60 mph, but those speeds may not suit you.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline h2Olondon

• 2nd Gear
Update on mpg now my mileage is 17 000. Most of the last 6 months has been motorway driving where I try to maintain 68 to 72 mph which I dont think is high for a  modern car. Trip  computer says 44 .3 mpg but brimming and checking mileage gives approx real mpg as 41 mpg now.
I use variety of fuel suppliers and it makes little different. How anyone gets 48  mpg I do not know.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi.

I use my car ALMOST solely for work, which means motorway driving, as a work all over the place.  My car is the 1.6 petrol edition and I get 41MPG on a good day 40 is more or less the average.  Needless to say that would drop thru the floor if I used it to tuttle round town.

Based upon this I don't think you getting the best value from a diesel engine.   I would be attempting to get significantly great mileage if I had a diesel.

To achieve 40 MPG with my 1.6 petrol Edition I have to restrain myself when driving, which means, I find a nice big truck chugging along about sixty (which I believe is more realistic for optimal consumption) and set my internal cruise control select my favourite radio station and settle in for a stress free ride.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
asa - your car is a manual - h2Olondon's car is auto and is bound to be more thirsty than a manual.

Having said that - I am averaging 55 mpg in my car. The official combined government figure is 74.3 mpg. Hence I am achieving 75% of the government figure.

The combined  government figure for the auto 1.6 petrol version is 41.5 mpg and the auto diesel is 51.4 mpg.

Assuming that 75% of the combined government figure is "normal" (and I am not claiming that it is) - the 1.6 auto diesel should average 39 mpg and the petrol 31 mpg.

It seems to me that getting 41 mpg from the 1.6 diesel auto is about right.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
asa - your car is a manual - h2Olondon's car is auto and is bound to be more thirsty than a manual.

Having said that - I am averaging 55 mpg in my car. The official combined government figure is 74.3 mpg. Hence I am achieving 75% of the government figure.

The combined  government figure for the auto 1.6 petrol version is 41.5 mpg and the auto diesel is 51.4 mpg.

Assuming that 75% of the combined government figure is "normal" (and I am not claiming that it is) - the 1.6 auto diesel should average 39 mpg and the petrol 31 mpg

It seems to me that getting 41 mpg from the 1.6 diesel auto is about right.

:whsaid:  I was just gonna post that  H2O's car was an auto and autos kill the mpg alot in diesel thats why alot of reviews for the new i30 says stay away from the auto box
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline h2Olondon

• 2nd Gear
OK Thanks for your views i guess i  was expecting a bit more since most of my driving is 50 mph  plus and auto is locked up at this speed in 4th  and  so more like a manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal