i30 Owners Club

Terrible fuel consumption

Guest · 6 · 2807

angoraki
Car has now done just over 1,500 miles (2,415Km) from new.
Driven 364.5 miles and used 48.44 litres giving me just 34.21mpg(12.11Km/litre)
Car is a 1.6CRDi 6 speed
Climate control has been on all the time
Mixed town and country driving
Conservative driving - not hammering the engine!
Wondering if the car is set up correctly
Any ideas?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I haven't done any long test runs yet, haven't finished running in, but for example on my mixed (but mostly A/B road) journey yesterday of about 36 miles scangauge said the average was 62.7MPG.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My CRDi didn't loosen up until around the 12,000 mile mark. Noticeably better, smoother and more economical from then on.

I'm not convinced that 1,500 miles is enough of a marker for a brand new tight-as-a-gnats-chuff engine, especially doing town and country runs
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
That does sound a bit high!
only things i could think of to check would be , first jack each wheel off the ground, put a block each side of one wheel that is contacting the ground. then with car in neutral and hand brake off, rotate each wheel to make sure they spin freely.
then check tyre pressure i think you should have at least 34psi, i run mine as high as 40psi have done from new.
if that checks out ok. go to a servo fill tank right up to top, turn off trip fuel useage average and see how you go.
if still the same take it to dealer hopefully they would have a sniffer to check afr

Offline Nick Riffed

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Watford

• Oooh Errrr!!!
Hi,
I've now got 750 miles on the clock in total of my estate.
Filled up to the brim with  :eek: 56.14ltrs  :eek: for the last 506.7 miles or 815.5K
I make that 14.525 Km/ltr or 41.03 MPG with a fair mix of roads and speeds, driving as I normally would with no attempt at economy as I was trying to compare things with my old car which I wouldn't have been trying to coax every last inch out of.
The worst part was when the "miles to empty" indicator suddenly went from 30 miles to '- - -' 2 miles before the petrol station!!!!

I'm not too concerned with the MPG as the engine is still new and to do that sort of mileage in the Volvo would have cost about £120 as opposed to £63

Offline VatTas

• 2nd Gear

• lt Lithuania
      Lithuania

• i30 1.6 CRDi BlueDrive
The worst part was when the "miles to empty" indicator suddenly went from 30 miles to '- - -' 2 miles before the petrol station!!!!
Well, it's designed to do just that. At least user manual said so...
I think it was made this way to make you refill earlier than "km to empty" == 5km ;)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal