Hyundai, Kia to pay owners for inflated mileage

eye30 · 16 · 4862

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
South Korean automakers Hyundai and Kia said Friday they will reimburse car owners in the United States and Canada for having exaggerated the fuel efficiency of their vehicles.

The announcement came after the US Environmental Protection Agency said it had discovered inflated gasoline economy numbers on a wide range of Hyundai and Kia models in an investigation sparked by consumer complaints.

After first testing a Hyundai Elantra and finding a discrepancy, the EPA expanded the tests to more models from both manufacturers.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific_business/view/1235008/1/.html
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :Shocked: Wow, that is a revelation with ongoing ramifications for Hyundai, Kia and other manufacturers. (and what an administrative nightmare)  :disapp: open to rorting  :confused:

Will it stretch to other markets? I suspect figures for some other brands as well!  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Given the Elantra is involved, I wonder if the same is true here. Could be that the government does it's own testing here in Australia so not applicable.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Rich, there is another thread about this matter posted a bit earlier (we may have to roll them together)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
For a moment I thought this wouldn't apply to Australia as I thought the Government did its own testing. However reading the factsheet from the Green Vehicle Guide website ( http://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/GVGPublicUI/StaticContent/file/2010%20Fuel%20Consumption%20Label.pdf)  it appears that even here, the figures on the fuel consumption labels are done in manufacturers' labs which are subject to Government audits. So still possible to rort the system.

I can't wait to see how this affects other markets.

Myself I have found it hard to achieve the urban fuel economy figures for my diesel i30. I note the average speed during the urban cycle is 19km/h and the fuel economy they achieve is 5.3 L/100km. I get a calculated figure of 5.7-5.8 with more freeway driving included and average speed of 37km/h. Something a bit fishy in all of this. Higher average speed should mean lower consumption.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I have found the deisel to be very economical, but driving under normal conditions(or what I consider normal)can not reach anywhere near their figures,to get anywhere near their figures for the Hwy cycle,I would have to drive round at about 70 KPH everywhere (stuff that)I can be patient,but not that patient.
going from memory combined Hwy/City cycle is 4.7 per 100,I am getting regularly 5.7 to 6.1 I'm happy with that.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Yeah, just look at the thread that I started on the topic of fuel usage. 15,000 km on the clock and I'm still seeing figures between 6.0 and 7.0 l/100 km. The only time that I see it dip into the 5s is on freeway trips. Even then, it's high fives.

Still better than my Tribute's 15l/100 km...
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My son, who's visiting from Canada at the moment tells me Ford have already been in trouble for the same thing in North America.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This has all been covered before. The figures quoted are generally unattainable by normal driving (with a few notable exceptions), they are supposed to provide a "level" playing field for car testing.

Testing should be removed from the manufacturer, and carried out on a random new vehicle by an independent authority.

ANCAP perform crash testing as an independent group of organisations, providing credible, highly regarded results, why not fuel economy as well before they crash the cars.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
and now we know why its so hard to even get close to their fuel consumption figures,schemer's.  :fum: :disapp:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Back in the early 90s they had two methods of determining a vehicle's fuel usage, Highway and City Cycles. Then, and I don't know when, they changed the methodology to supposedly make it "more accurate". However, as it was back in 93 when I bought my VN Commodore with a claimed 30 mpg highway cycle, I could best get low 20s.

Today, we have this more "accurate" method and it seems that it's still a mythical one.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Think of a number, any number.

Does it seem reasonable?

No.

Ok.  That number will do....................
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Pip
and now we know why its so hard to even get close to their fuel consumption figures,schemer's.  :fum: :disapp:
I've said before I can get figures near the published. Currently near the end of a tank of maybe 50/50 driving showing 4.3 l/100k and 49 km/h average speed. The relatively high average speed probably says it all but given easy conditions 4.0 l/100k can be achieved. So how are Hyundai (and the rest of them) cheating on this?

I mean if it's possible it's possible and that's all they are saying. They are not saying that you will get it - too many other variables.  :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This has all been covered before. The figures quoted are generally unattainable by normal driving (with a few notable exceptions),

I had you in mind when I wrote this, Pip.  :)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm 99% sure they get the fuel consumption figures with an engine bolted to a frame in an engine testing room, and get the overall consumption figures that way.  :wacko: :fum:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal