i30 Owners Club

New Rims

CraigB · 111 · 24798

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
That's a pretty good price. I had forgotten the rear is spring and shock.
They are definitely a lot firmer ride and wouldn't be pleasant if you do a lot of driving especially on rougher roads.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes and I don't want to make it to rough a ride as I'm now sitting on low profile tyres even though they are still listed in the comfort range but so far it's still a comfortable ride with the euro suspension.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looks like most of what WA Suspensions was advising me was not correct, after driving a similar setup earlier this morning coil overs will definitely roughen the ride as I thought they would and Tim confirmed also :goodjob:

WA Suspensions also said that King Springs would fit my vehicle and that was wrong as well since Wilkinson Suspensions are the state distributor of King springs and any Kings that WA Suspensions ordered would have to be done through Wilkinsons and they confirm there is no such Kings fitting for my vehicle.

The only brand available for my car ( euro built 2dr ) is Eibach which I'd prefer anyway as they're a more comfortable spring, Eibach Pro Kit Springs are the only one to fit with a 20mm drop which will halve the current gap I have and retain the comfortable ride without needing any extra components to fix alignment.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 13:11:18 by CraigB »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I am aware of, but have never used, WA Suspensions.
I have used Wilkinsons and found them to be expensive but very good.
For what it's worth. (It was a few years ago).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah I've used WA Suspensions years ago when I was 21 for the HZ Holden but their not the main distributor here now and were $200 more expensive than Wilkinsons for the Eibachs.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!!!!!!!
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I will, I will, I will... in a couple of months :)

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
Boo....  :fum:
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
Lemme check my lotto ticket monday evening and I'll get back to you.  :faint:

With your new rims, do you clean em with a brush? After reading about these wheel cleaning chems, I'm wondering how effective they are whem following the spray on and wash off instructions
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The only brush I might think of using would be the pipe cleaner style Meguiars brush but I only use rags on my wheels.

Offline harpy04

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondanna, WA
No lowering yet, I'll think about that once my 3 year cheap insurance is up with Allianz  :)

Yeah the guys spent a lot of time getting the offset just right, they knew exactly what I was after and the inside of that wheel clears the calliper buy 2-3mm :D

Hi Craig,
Car looks awesome. Can you tell us what the offset is with the new rims?
Are they 17" or 18"?

Merry Christmas to all.
  • I30SR Premium 2017

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think it was 40 ET but I'm not to sure now, best bet since you are in Perth is to give West State Tyres in Bentley a call as they were definitely the most professional and helpful that I spoke with and being the largest dealer here their prices are better ( at minimal $80 each cheaper than anywhere in Perth or the eastern states ), my wheels are 18"x 8", tyres are 225 x 40 x 18 " Weststate also fixed my front camber issues that Hyundai said I never had " :)

Standard specs are supposed to be as below

Tyre size       wheel & off set      Bolt pattern     Stud size      Centre Bore Size
205/55 R16       6x16 ET51            5x114.3       M12 x 1.5             67.1 
 

 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:48:29 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: harpy, as you can see Craig is one of our less helpful members :lol:  I'm off to WA shortly to sort him out! :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline harpy04

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondanna, WA
I think it was 35 positive but I'm not to sure now, best bet since you are in Perth is to give West State Tyres in Bentley a call as they were definitely the most professional and helpful that I spoke with and being the largest dealer here their prices are better ( at minimal $80 each cheaper than anywhere in Perth or the eastern states ), my wheels are 18"x 8", tyres are 225 x 40 x 18 " Weststate also fixed my front camber issues that Hyundai said I never had " :)

Standard specs are supposed to be as below

Tyre size       wheel & off set      Bolt pattern     Stud size      Centre Bore Size
205/55 R16       6x16 ET51            5x114.3       M12 x 1.5             67
 

Thanks Craig,
I will definitely give them a call in the new year.
  • I30SR Premium 2017

Offline harpy04

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondanna, WA
Thanks for the welcome.

The forum is great! Tons of useful stuff on here. :happydance:
  • I30SR Premium 2017

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
:welcum: harpy, as you can see Craig is one of our less helpful members :lol:  I'm off to WA shortly to sort him out! :D
:Prayer:  :drinks: :lol:
Thanks Craig,
I will definitely give them a call in the new year.
Your welcome :goodjob2:

Offline harpy04

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondanna, WA
Hi Craig,

How is the road noise with your new 18" rims and 225/40 R18 tyres?

Is it much worse than the stock rims?
  • I30SR Premium 2017

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The new Hankooks are completely silent on the good smooth roads like 90% of the freeway and Tonkin Hwy at 100km's ( where the stock tyres weren't ), if on the rough/more course roads then about the same as the original stockies.

The comfort is good I'm finding though I have the Euro suspension which is independent rear and softer than the Korean built models.

Offline harpy04

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondanna, WA
The new Hankooks are completely silent on the good smooth roads like 90% of the freeway and Tonkin Hwy at 100km's ( where the stock tyres weren't ), if on the rough/more course roads then about the same as the original stockies.

The comfort is good I'm finding though I have the Euro suspension which is independent rear and softer than the Korean built models.

Cool.
On my last car(Astra) I had 18" with Yokohamas. Very noisy tire, al be it a few years ago. Switched to Bridgestone Potenza's after that. Much better.
I was getting a bit concerned reading some of the posts here about noisy tires with 18" and 40 profile tires on the I30's

Thanks heaps.
  • I30SR Premium 2017

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Cool.
On my last car(Astra) I had 18" with Yokohamas. Very noisy tire, al be it a few years ago. Switched to Bridgestone Potenza's after that. Much better.
I was getting a bit concerned reading some of the posts here about noisy tires with 18" and 40 profile tires on the I30's

Thanks heaps.
Sometimes people confuse road noise with harshness. I'm not saying that is the case here.
Road noise is the sound which is generated by the tyre tread rolling along the road. A well designed tread these days will generate almost no noise at all.
However, harshness is more about how the suspension handles the road surface and transmits it through the car. This is something which becomes more obvious with the lower profile tyres and can't be avoided. Simply, with a low sidewall there is less material to flex and absorb unevenness in the road surface. Low profile tyres serve a couple of purposes. The first but by far the least important is to look good (filling the guards etc.). The main purpose is to improve steering response (and braking for that matter), by reducing the amount of flex in the sidewall so that steering wheel movements transfer more readily to the road wheels. In braking manoeuvres, especially if carried out while turning, you want as little distortion of the tread as possible so there is maximum contact with the road. Again, low profile tyres optimise this procedure. But in doing so, they stiffen the ride.
So, if you want your tyres to look good and improve your steering response, then low profile is for you. If you want  to retain the "armchair like" ride of the standard car, then make sure you try before you buy.

BTW, it IS possible to reduce the harshness of low profile tyres in the design stage. But the steering response will suffer, so you'll have good looking tyres and a reasonably smooth ride; with much less improvement in steering/ braking.

A bit confusing I know, but the problem is everyone sees something different in their tyres so it's difficult to take advice from someone else.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal