i30 Owners Club

Digital TV pixelation

beerman · 28 · 3571

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day Brains trust (and Dazz).

Ever since I switched over to Digital TV with a dodgy set top box and now with my 2 tvs), I have received perfect TV reception on all channels.

Recently I have noticed interference late in the afternoon and early evenings, this is the only time I have a problem with it. It kicks in at different times and without me doing anything (ie turning on lights, fridge trips on etc). Otherwise the reception is perfect.

The second set does not have the problem (I have hooked my laptop up to the outlet and it receives the same interference so it is not the TV). On the off chance I changed the aerial, which has made the interference less annoying (ie it is there, but I can follow the TV show in most parts before it gives up). 

I don't think it could be the cable, otherwise it would show up all the time, so I am reluctant to play with that too much. Ditto for the splitter which is no doubt up there somewhere.

Any ideas?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is when we have trouble too (sometimes) I think it must be something to do with atmospheric conditions. Is the "weaker" point further from the antenna? (longer run of co-ax)

Some TV's have stronger Tuners than others too. Panasonic are pretty good (LG aren't bad either, but not quite as good as Panasonic apparently) some other brands are less so. Laptop tuners are usually borderline as well.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Looking at where the aerial is, I dare say it would be close to identical.

The one doing ok is an LG. I guess one day I should pull it off the wall in the bedroom and take it into the living room to see what happens. Problem is when it happens either the kids are up, and I don't want a TV in their way, or the kids are asleep (and I am relaxing with a beer)....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You know that recently I have had extreme difficulties with 1 group of channels. After rechecking all my connections, the problem largely disappeared yesterday, however it is back again today to a lesser degree. I am starting to believe it is simply atmospherics, sunspots or someone else is using disruptive equipment. We have 4 TV's, they are all affected equally, so I can rule them out. I was told that each TV requires about 12 db of gain to get an acceptable signal, so you need an aerial that can either supply the gain, or a masthead amplifier to enable multiple sets, which I have fitted. Without the amp, I can not get any signal at all on any TV. :'(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Could it be the insulation around the cable is too thin and thicker will shield the signal?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The "F" connector I use require the correct thickness of cable, or they will not hold. I bought the aerial and cable from Bunnings at the TV section. The cable was that which was specified on the antenna box. You can't use the old analogue cable as the shielding is insufficient for digital.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Beerman you can get a boosted splitter. We have 2 different antennas connected backwards through a diplexer into a masthead amplifier and then into the roof where it goes through a 4 way boosted splitter which is powered from a power point in the roof!

I set it up myself when we first built an a couple of antenna guys who i have had around since were surprised it worked!  :lol: They seemed to think the booster in the middle would stop the masthead amplifier working with the power supply plugged in down near the TV but tests show it doesn't interfere with the function.

I probably could have used better quality co-ax and intend replacing it at some stage (maybe with help from an antenna guy)

Patchy reception is a pain in the A$$, so glad we have the VAST as a back up which I would use more if I was a big TV watcher (Trish will sometimes sit through pixilation rather than switch!  :wacko:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I can live with pixelation, but not the drop out of sound. :fum:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Slightly off topic but still in relation to Ch 10 and reception.

They have to be the worst to watch catchup TV on.
Lose the picture with pixelation, freezes, sound goes funny.
I often have to stop the playback and start again, then try to FF to where I was. But you can't FF through the ads. :disapp:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
@Beerman: you might want to check with your neighbours if they started using any mains power equipment since you have your issues. What you describe sounds a lot like electrical interference through the power line to your power circuits. Brushed motors (grinders, drills etc) are notorious for generating spikes like that especially if the commuters are worn and the brushes are sparking.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
>especially if the commuters are worn and the brushes are sparking.

Would they be old train passengers with nice clean teeth perhaps???  :whistler:  :rofl:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@Beerman: you might want to check with your neighbours if they started using any mains power equipment since you have your issues. What you describe sounds a lot like electrical interference through the power line to your power circuits. Brushed motors (grinders, drills etc) are notorious for generating spikes like that especially if the commuters are worn and the brushes are sparking.

Funny, that's what I was thinking, it can't be perfect 99% of the time and just drop out 1%.  Always seems to happen in the window of 'just got home from work will do some work on X time too' Perhaps it is the blokes next door working on their XC Falcon restoration.....The Hisense tuner just can't handle it.....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I might have to go outside and listen for power tools next time it happens to us. Only problem is our closest neighbours are at least 150 metres away so I might not hear them. Would that sort of physical distance reduce the possibility I wonder?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Could it be a feathered friend sitting in the arial preventing the already weak signal to not hit the receiver correctly.

Or the directional position is slightly out.

Or high trees/ buildings distort the signal due to certain atmospheric situations
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Depends on the size of the source Daz. It certainly not impossible. I could also be something quieter, like a mill that you would not hear outside the shed. Ah... Electric fence could be a cause too.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
A good test for electrical interference is a hand held electric food mixer, they are the worst type of device for the reasons Hati described, however, being portable you can use it in various locations to try to induce the problem and prove if this is the source of interference.

I built a house alarm years ago, all the wiring was wrapped around the mixer and the circuit had to pass this test before installation. Never had a problem with false alarms during lightning or electrical switching.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Depends on the size of the source Daz. It certainly not impossible. I could also be something quieter, like a mill that you would not hear outside the shed. Ah... Electric fence could be a cause too.
Hmmmm?

Or "electric gates"  :whistler: :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hmmmm?

Or "electric gates"  :whistler: :mrgreen:
Can't be that, ours are temporarily out of action and nobody nearby has bothered with any. :pout:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Could it be a feathered friend sitting in the arial preventing the already weak signal to not hit the receiver correctly.

Or high trees/ buildings distort the signal due to certain atmospheric situations

Birds are a possibility, will check next time. Direction is locked pretty tight. Still suspect trees and atmospheric conditions are at least partly to blame.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Birds are not normally a problem. They would have to carry a wire and place it across the correct elements of the aerial to short it out. There's nowhere for a bird to sit on our digital type aerial.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Birds are a possibility, will check next time. Direction is locked pretty tight. Still suspect trees and atmospheric conditions are at least partly to blame.

Hey. Come on.

You live in Dazzmania.

You're lucky to get any reception.  :victory:

(that's for the old man snoring dig  :P)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I wouldn't dismiss connection quality just because it's inconsistent. You could hit a threshold of quality whereby other factors like temperature and weather will break through and cause problems. Still a good idea to recheck, clean and reseat connections especially up in the roof exposed to slightly more extreme conditions. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Been up there and done that Gonz, undid all connections and with my dimming eyes, checked for whiskers of braid that could be shorting the copper wire, bent the copper just slightly to ensure it makes good contact when reconnected and then used a spanner to tighten the nut just past finger tight.

Last night, 1, 10 & 11 were back to normal but still missed Neighbours as I was cooking dinner.  :Pout:

I wonder how long b4 the interference returns again.  :fum:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I wouldn't dismiss connection quality just because it's inconsistent. You could hit a threshold of quality whereby other factors like temperature and weather will break through and cause problems. Still a good idea to recheck, clean and reseat connections especially up in the roof exposed to slightly more extreme conditions. :victory:

How did I know you were going to say that.....My roof void is a top place to be  :head_butt:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey. Come on.

You live in Dazzmania.

You're lucky to get any reception.  :victory:

(that's for the old man snoring dig  :P)

Gee, you might not get a good reception next time you come to Tassie :rofl:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal