At Last - a Quiet Harley.

AlanHo · 22 · 3662

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It will be a relief to us if this catches on (which it won't) because every Sunday we have about 100 bikers roar past the end of our road heading out to the countryside from Birmingham. The noise is unbelievable.

:link: BBC News - Harley-Davidson invites public to test electric motorbike
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Half the fun of owning Harleys is the looks and sound.

With only a range of 130 miles and a 30 minute to 1 hour recharge I cant see them taking off any time soon, their also a bit behind in the electrics development and need to move into the current with Hydrogen electrics.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

With only a range of 130 miles and a 30 minute to 1 hour recharge I cant see them taking off any time soon, their also a bit behind in the electrics development and need to move into the current with Hydrogen electrics.

Might be a safety issue too.. Bad enough driving a silent car (some don't hear me coming...) so to speak!  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
As much as I'm not a fan of Harleys and their owners obsession with making a racket, I do believe the "racket" does help in letting car drivers know they are around which can be a good thing...  :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
As much as I'm not a fan of Harleys and their owners obsession with making a racket, I do believe the "racket" does help in letting car drivers know they are around which can be a good thing...  :)

That surprises me Rusty,being very bike aware I see them far sooner than I hear them,it is only while their passing me that I hear to ungodly racket and some of the Harley's I hear,you can't tell me that fall within the noise abatement laws,I know over here they have clamped down on performance exhaust for cars,about time they got some of these bikes either off the road or clamping down on the noise they're putting out,absolutely no excuse for it,straight through exhaust is not legal on any car,so why should it be legal on a motor cycle.JMO
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

That surprises me Rusty,being very bike aware I see them far sooner than I hear them,it is only while their passing me that I hear to ungodly racket and some of the Harley's I hear,you can't tell me that fall within the noise abatement laws,I know over here they have clamped down on performance exhaust for cars,about time they got some of these bikes either off the road or clamping down on the noise they're putting out,absolutely no excuse for it,straight through exhaust is not legal on any car,so why should it be legal on a motor cycle.JMO
Agreed Rick.
If you can hear them you've not been watching closely enough.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: CraigB

I agree. The "electric sound" is certainly fascinating but detracts from the whole Harley experience...

:link: Harley-Davidson Unveils Electric Motorcycle - YouTube
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Sounds great. Much better than the current crop that sound like the muffler fell off the mower.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I hate loud bikes (and cars) and don't understand why they are not defected and/or confiscated. I vote an end to noise pollution in all cases. :fum:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Quote from: CraigB

I agree. The "electric sound" is certainly fascinating but detracts from the whole Harley experience...

:link: Harley-Davidson Unveils Electric Motorcycle - YouTube

After seeing that I definitely don't want one,but having said that I definitely don't want a petrol one either
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I hate loud bikes (and cars) and don't understand why they are not defected and/or confiscated. I vote an end to noise pollution in all cases. :fum:

Bit harsh,better not flog my commodore past your place,you might shoot me  :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It's all a matter of balance, time, place and circumstance.
Some are extreme and should be targeted.
I do appreciate a nice V8 exhaust though.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds great. Much better than the current crop that sound like the muffler fell off the mower.

:whsaid:

But I happen to like electric stuff!  :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

That's the thing, Rick, you're bike aware, most drivers aren't so I reckon if that's the only way they become aware of a motorcycle near them, then that has got to be a good thing.
Obviously it would be much much better if the average driver bothered to keep a lookout for motorcycles but seeing as motorcycles have been around since Jesus was a boy and they still don't see them, I won't hold my breath.

Plenty on here have argued for lights on and brightly coloured clothing to make a motorcyclist more "conspicuous", hard to argue that a loud motorcycle doesn't contribute to this...   :whistler:  :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Do you a have a genuine photograph of Jesus' motorbike?  :undecided:
Or did you make that up :question:
I'd like to see that.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Dave, I never said Jesus had a motorcycle....  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dave, I never said Jesus had a motorcycle....  :whistler:

Yeah, but you didn't say he didn't... :winker:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Okay, I browsed the dead sea scrolls and found this pic of Jesus being a smartarse performing stunts....

Happy now?  :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fare lee..  :whistler:

Good find BTW :goodjob:

Although he looks older than a boy to me!  :whistler:

since Jesus was a boy ....

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
C'mon Daz...I said motorcycles have been around since he was a boy....  :rolleyes:

You're as bad as Dave...why you no listen!!!! 
Or read as in this case.....:lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's all a matter of balance, time, place and circumstance.
Some are extreme and should be targeted.
I do appreciate a nice V8 exhaust though.
I agree, I used to idle my HSV out of the local streets so I didn't cause any problems though even at idle it still set of all the house and car alarms as I went by :D with a huge cam - worked heads and a twin 3inch exhaust system the reverberation that was given off was astronomical even though the exhaust was reasonably quiet at low revs ( a different story at high rpm though :Shocked: ) it took my friends 4yo daughter just over a year to come anywhere near my car after scaring the crap out of her one day while doing some tunning in the backyard :scared:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal