i30 Owners Club

Data retention Hokey Pokey

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I've stated b4 that in principle, I can't agree with the retention due to privacy concerns, but regardless of the criminal reason, if it is used as a tool to find criminals or thwart crime before it happens, that has to be a good thing.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rumcajs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Addy, SA
I've stated b4 that in principle, I can't agree with the retention due to privacy concerns, but regardless of the criminal reason, if it is used as a tool to find criminals or thwart crime before it happens, that has to be a good thing.

I agree with you in principle however the possibility that an entity will have at its disposal complete picture of every step an individual makes is frightening. I'm sure that even during your today's activities you have perhaps unintentionally contravened some law or regulations.
That  is worrisome as we'll be getting at very thin edge.  In the popular culture this was very nicely demonstrated in the movie "Minority Report".

Some things will never change ==> Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? This quote is as valid today as it was 2,000 years ago when it first appeared,  the phrase has universal, timeless applications to concepts such as tyrannical governments, uncontrollably oppressive dictatorships, and police or judicial corruption and overreach, in context within the original  poem it refers to the impossibility of enforcing moral behaviour on individuals when the enforcers (custodes) are corruptible....

Will this be a basis for "thought" crimes?  In any case it is none of "anyone's business" to know what I read, think or do in the course of the day as long as nobody gets hurt or is burdened by it.  Its nobody's business who I talk, write or sing to.  Its nobody's business who I meet, hug or barrack for.

This pervasive surveillance is not compatible with democracy so either it is time to drop the charade or refuse this usurpation of basic right of every individual to live free from oppression of any kind.

B/R

• i30 SX MY11

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Don't panic. The scheme will be implemented sparingly. There isn't enough storage in the Universe for this to work as feared. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal