i30 Owners Club

2013 i30crdi a/c on rough idle

tonymac · 17 · 5259

Offline tonymac

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne chelsea
This rough idle happened with high outside temp 35c + all good in lower temp . no fault code found or in memory ?
  • 2013 i30 crdi man

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Need more info. :exclaim:

Rough idle can result from many root causes, which of the following do you think applies to your situation.

- Engine speed too low when a/c compressor engages, but returns to normal at cut out.
- Engine runs but, revs vary considerably, as indicated by your rev counter.
- Engine mixture alters and revs very erratic, sometimes with smoke from the exhaust.
- Engine temp gauge reads high 75% or greater.

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi tonymac

:wttc:

Can you tell a little bit more about what/when/how happens... :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline tonymac

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne chelsea
The fault appears to happen only on hot days we had a run of days over 35c up to over 40c .Has 20000k on clock so just new for a diesel . will run through fault
1. outside temp 35c
2. start car with a/c on .run fine a/c idle compensation as should be
3. drive car about 300mt stop sign a/c idle ok engine temp gauge still on first bar as normal 
4. drive on a further  500m a/c idle fault occurs .that is engine runs very rough .like dropping a plug in petrol motor.maybe 2 plugs its   
    very rough.its like a massive air leak .or in older car push in EGR valve and idle would go of song
5. temp gauge still normal rev counter is normal .not showing any erratic behaviour .
6. turn a/c of  idle normal.turn on fault back
7. the engine temp is normal no overheat
8. the fuel consumption is normal
9. the car is driven on freeway at least twice a week so about 3hrs of 100+kph
10. no smoke .me or the car. .the car is running ok now with cooler weather with a/c on .
  • 2013 i30 crdi man

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The car is obviously under warranty, so the fix will be the dealer's responsibility. However, the EGR valve in the i30 is electrically operated and this sounds like the faulty area IMO. This is because the fault can be switched on or off, yet engine revs stay in the normal range. I believe the EGR valve is disengaged when a/c is on. There are also air and coolant sensors on the car, so they too, will need to be checked over.

Glad there's no smoke from you, or the car.  :snigger:

Offline tonymac

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne chelsea
have taken car to dealer and as I though would happen no fault found or in history. having been a motor mac for 40 odd..very odd.. years I know these things can be a game of chase your tail.best hope is that your car is not the first with a problem.if fault occurs will put it on snap on scan tool at mates shop before I take it to dealer.and have no fear I will post fix cant give you a time on that.
  • 2013 i30 crdi man

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, Hy mechanics rely heavily on the fault codes to be present, otherwise they tend to be rather dismissive with clients. Ideally, make an arrangement to bring the car in when the fault is present, they can't argue with that.

We had a problem with rough start, no fault codes and only happened on 1st start of the day. Left the car there overnight and when they started it a major fault was evident, ended up replacing all 4 injectors, warranty, no arguments.

Motor mechanic for 40 years, you should be telling us what's wrong.  :eek: :mrgreen:

Good luck. :wink:

Offline tonymac

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne chelsea
 :twisted: it has been a while but the idle fault continuous .the dealer did re gas a/c in the hope that it was overcharged with gas..that didn't fix it. so I left it for a while , fortunately or unfortunately it has got slightly more pronounced . it has more to do with load , turn on both heated seats, headlights rear demist may be enough to set it off ,  seriously the motor rocks like crazy. the dealer will have a go at fixing tomorrow 13/8/14 will loan me a car ...a turbo veloster...not ..and cross fingers will pick up Monday next week .sorry for late update but on going ..ciao :victory:
  • 2013 i30 crdi man

Offline tonymac

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne chelsea
well that was a quick fix.. apparently the head office knew of this fault with i30 crdi and were ready with "an update" the dealer will give it a longer test drive tomorrow but are sure problem solved.tomorrow will see..now to tell them of the steering problem.which according to them is how electric steering is like.
1.when driving on freeway/tollway hand resting on steering wheel a slight amount of pressure to make car maintain straight line there is a feeling of resistance/sticking then frees up .if this was normal it would be there all the time ..again it is not there very often  .I find it hard to believe that it is normal .if  I was the test driver for company I would not put my name to it as Normal elec steerig have driven i40 and veloster no sticky steer there. still I do like the i30.that is why I traded up to newer model .done 27k now.ciao :victory:
  • 2013 i30 crdi man

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The electric steering assist is quite a complex design.

This is my theory on what you are describing.

Power is applied only when a torque rotation of the steering wheel is detected. This would occur when the wheel is actually being moved from its present position to a new position, therefore, whilst travelling straight without moving the steering wheel, there is actually no assistance required, so the steering may feel heavy. I can't tell you why it's different from one model to the next.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If the wheel feels as if it's trying to "re-centre" itself, then the angle sensors needs adjustment/recalibration. A scan tool (your Hyundai dealer will probably use one) should show if the two sensors are misaligned.

EDIT: here's an interesting link

:link: Steering Angle Sensor Diagnostics - Know Your Parts
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like the same steering feel issue Dave (doggie1) has :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tonymac

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne chelsea
well that was a waste of time .apart from getting to drive an auto 140 around that the dealer gave me ..had to give it back with fuel topped up even though the same amount of fuel was used in my car while they tested it. so it turns out that even though the mechanic agreed that the idle was rough and was aware of how to reproduce the problem and that the company said they had an update . after doing this update they kept the car for a further 2 days did not ring me and say its fixed ... the phone call was strange ..first question they asked was something like "did you order this car especially ?...what do they mean by that I wanted an i30 man crdi upgrade they supplied it ..6speed man .
so they said we cant find another 6speed man crdi to compare it but we think it feels better also said because I have been a mechanic for so long that I am feeling the rough idle that ..a normal person would not feel it..never mind that there mechanic agreed .
latest we think its normal ..bulldust normal ..it wasn't normal until it got to hard ..
so is there anyone out there in Melbourne or somewhere that has a 6speed man crdi  to compare ..sorry  to ramble ciao :victory:
  • 2013 i30 crdi man

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :disapp:

Compare is a good idea...  :goodjob:  Any takers?  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
New dealer & service facility required.  :fum:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Sorry, in the west, otherwise it'd be a given.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline tonymac

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne chelsea
sick of waiting rang Sydney head office gave them the story they are going to contact dealer.
the only thing is that the software upgrade....SE14015..seems to have done something to fuel  gone from 4.9 ave down after about two tanks 4.6 and initial freeway run after fill 4.2. but the idle for the only 6speed man crd in Australia is still crap. :victory:
  • 2013 i30 crdi man

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal