eye30 · 63 · 18403

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like the new i30 will suit you to a T Alan... :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Nice little video...

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Nice little video...

Yes indeedy :D

I didn't realise it came with an automatic air brake (00:56) :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Why do promo vids always have left hand drive cars and not right hand drive?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Left hand drive is normal...

Some day you guys will realise...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
and at the bottom of the ad in little letters it says...over seas model shown.  :disapp: almost every car ad on TV in oz has that little disclaimer at the bottom.  :wacko: it wouldn't be a bad idea to make an ad showing the actual vehicles being sold.  :faint:  nice little video though.  :mrgreen: was the policeman on the horse picking his nose?  :Shocked:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Another little annoying bit is when it says that spec for models sold in your country differ from that shown

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I don't care which side the steering wheel was on.. Still a nice little video (than Alan)  :goodjob:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Right Alan, let's look at what you are asking here.

You are looking to change car for the final time in your motoring life, you are mainly doing short trip driving with the occasional long haul, you are paying more for diesel than a petrol owner and are also paying the extra premium for a diesel model in the first place.  You are interested in cabin noise and have found that in your experience the 16" wheels are less noisy than the 17" wheels.  You are also slightly "distressed" by the cost of the new i30.

I really think that you need to have a look at the ix20 (if you need the space) or even i20 if you don't.

My ix20 is in Style (Premium) guise, 16" alloys on Continental ContiPremiumContact 2 (Hyundai supplied) low resistance tyres, I have ISG, ESP, folding mirrors with insert indicators, electric windows (only drivers is Auto), full panoramic sunroof, Bluetooth, single zone climate control, front fog lights etc etc.
The 1.4 petrol delivers 89bhp, but it honestly is as fleet as the 1.6 petrol i30 and dare I suggest more manoevreable (in town) and more comfortable (especially on longer journeys) than the i30.  The extra height may also be of benefit to the older driver/passenger who may be less mobile than they once were (both my parents have gone to higher vehicles as they find them easier particularly to get out of than the average car).  Fuel consumption sits around 32-35 mpg in town and I have had as high as 48 on the open road.  I can honestly say that on a continual long journey I expect to get 500 miles from the 10 gallon tank.

I filled up just a couple of miles from home the other day and had only been using the car to and from work since then, the cold weather and the 800 foot elevation from work to my house everyday meant than my economy was sitting at 30 when I left the house to drive the 14 miles to golf yesterday morning, by the time I had returned from golf the gauge had risen to 37mpg (including 5 days of journeys of 3 miles or so to and from work/dancing/swimming/beavers etc etc) so very good in my opinion.

Brand new my car cost £14,500 so a good £5000 less than the i30 Premium, perhaps not quite the car but extremely proficient at what it does nonetheless. 

You won't get the torque you currently enjoy with your diesel but if you are mainly town driving I would ask if you really need it.

At the very least of you look further "down" the model line-up and don't like what you see, at least you have used the option, but I think you would be denying yourself the options by only looking at the new i30.

EDIT - meant to say the ix20 is very very quiet, even at 70mph on the motorway. :goodjob2:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

How about the i10.

My dad has one and I've drove it a few times.

Great little car for around town but does lack the power on m/way especially when you slow down and then wish to accelerate quickly. Otherwise OK on m/way/

Noise.  Not too bad.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

My wife has an i10 and it is a joy to drive. Comfortable, frugal and very nippy. We can't use it as our main car because it lacks enough luggage space and we sometimes holiday with friends - hence we need a car with 5 doors, good rear leg room and enough luggage space for 4. My i30 just about does that.

I have test driven an ix20 with a 1.4 diesel engine and was surprised at how well packaged it is. But the one I tested was noisy and soon ran out of breath. However - it is a tempting alternative and thank you for your post which will serve to remind me not to rush off and let my heart rule my head. Although I do quite a lot of town driving - every month we go on long distance trips and I am currently planning a 10 day trip to the Scottish Highlands in May. Hence a car with long legs is important.

I will be test driving the ix20 again - as well as spending a day with the new i30 which will be a better test than trying one at Silverstone on a smooth race track. I am also going to test drive the equivalent Golf and Focus to try and see why the motoring media set them as benchmarks that others are not "allowed" to match. Sad but true for Hyundai - the pricing of the new i30 1.6 CRDi Style is well into Golf, Focus and Audi A3 territory.

I need to get this coming decision right - and the news that the new ix30 is about 12 months away - adds another dimension.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It is well documented that the 1.4 diesel ix20 is not the most refined diesel engine available out there.  Most UK reviews reckon the petrol 1.4 is the best buy in the range.

I have travelled in the i30 and ix20 with three adults and one child and the ix20 coped with the luggage load better.

You will still feel the ix20 is less impressive than the diesel i30 but you have to factor in a couple of long trips with four adults (who can move the back seats to accomodate them) against the majority of driving you do.  Certainly the ix20 copes with the mountains fine, I have to admit at being disappointed in the i30 the first few times I took it over the mountains, but then I had to recognise I had come from the 2.0 Impreza and there was bound to be slight difference, I did however find that on really steep hills in the i30 second gear would sometimes not go from low enough, yet it was screaming in first.  Obviously not a problem with the diesel variant and judging by the happy 1.4 i30 owners here, possibly a quirk of the 1.6 petrol :question:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Although I do quite a lot of town driving -

every month we go on long distance trips and I am currently planning a 10 day trip to the Scottish Highlands in May. Hence a car with long legs is important.

Buy a 5 door i10 ...................... then for those odd trips hire a larger car on a special rental deal.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Our i10 is a 5 door - very roomy for the class - but not really suitable for 4 adults. Great for grandchildren in the back though.

We go away 2 or 2 times a month on short 2 to 3 day breaks around the country working our way through the National Trust and English Heritage sites of which we are members. Hiring a car each time would be an expensive business - plus - with a hire car you can never be sure what you are getting. My experiences of cheap car hire deals from smaller hire companies have not been good - I feel that you have to go to the majors like Hertz, Avis, Sixt, Europcar etc to get proper service - and they are expensive.

Hence, if I change the current i30 (bought new in 2010 and now with 12000 miles on the clock) it has to be a roomy car with long legs because running 2 cars is a high cost and it is rare for both cars to be in use at the same time. We are therefore contemplating becoming a one car family.

Thanks for the thought though............ :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I will say that being without my i30 for those 89 days plus another unknown number of days in a weeks time I did miss the space and comfort in the i30.

I agree with your comments on the i10.

Great for just 2 adults and reasonable for 4 so long as trips are short and no luggage.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Alan,why not keep the i30 and sell the i10.  :idea:  the money from the i10 and the money saved not buying a new car could buy several cruises,or even a nice round the world trip.  :winker: :razz: you could even buy the wife a new ladder to help with cleaning the gutters out.  :whistler:  :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Alan,why not keep the i30 and sell the i10.  :idea:  the money from the i10 and the money saved not buying a new car could buy several cruises,or even a nice round the world trip.  :winker: :razz: you could even buy the wife a new ladder to help with cleaning the gutters out.  :whistler:  :winker:

You are only saying that because you are safely several thousand miles away.............................. :P :P

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Another road test - from a respected source

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/hyundai/hyundai-i30-2012/

Wow, that is a very favourable road test  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's a good read. I found this interesting though.

"But most people are likely to go for a diesel i30. There are three available - a 1.4 CRDi with 90PS in the entry-level Classic plus two 1.6-litre engines."

How could the writer possibly come to that conclusion  :question: With DPF & EGR  :exclaim:

He also mentions lack of noise when driving, now that is good news.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a good read. I found this interesting though.

"But most people are likely to go for a diesel i30. There are three available - a 1.4 CRDi with 90PS in the entry-level Classic plus two 1.6-litre engines."

How could the writer possibly come to that conclusion  :question: With DPF & EGR  :exclaim:

Diesels are more popular in most parts of Europe than they are in Australia..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
O___I___C      :D

Offline nifty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Broulee
The CO2 emission difference between the manual and auto diesel models suggest to me that the auto is a standard torque converter type and not a dual clutch type. If so that will not be good news.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Welcome nifty, hope this forum is enjoyable for you.

Can you give me more details on your reasoning please.  :neutral:

Offline nifty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Broulee
My reasoning is this: The UK Hyundai site shows the CO2 emissions for the 1.6CRDi 110PS as 100 for the manual and 145 for the auto; quite a difference. The emission figure for a DCT should be about the same as a MT since a DCT is really a smart MT. On the other hand a torque converter auto will have higher emissions than an MT due to losses in the torque converter.

I forgot to include in my initial post two things:

1. The difference between the 100 and 145 figures seems excessive; perhaps the figures are rubbery.

2. Does anyone know for sure what type of auto it is?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

My reasoning is this: The UK Hyundai site shows the CO2 emissions for the 1.6CRDi 110PS as 100 for the manual and 145 for the auto; quite a difference. The emission figure for a DCT should be about the same as a MT since a DCT is really a smart MT. On the other hand a torque converter auto will have higher emissions than an MT due to losses in the torque converter.

I forgot to include in my initial post two things:

1. The difference between the 100 and 145 figures seems excessive; perhaps the figures are rubbery.

2. Does anyone know for sure what type of auto it is?

It is a conventional 6 speed torque converter auto box.

However Hyundai have developed a new twin clutch box which will feature in future new models.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks to you both.  :goodjob2:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
So I get home from work to discover Hyundai have sent me a lovely letter telling me all about the new i30 along with a voucher for £700 off the purchase price of one.

Do I go and look?  Pretty good price I reckon, the 1.4 petrol Style Slides in at under £16k with this offer :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

So I get home from work to discover Hyundai have sent me a lovely letter telling me all about the new i30 along with a voucher for £700 off the purchase price of one.

Do I go and look?  Pretty good price I reckon, the 1.4 petrol Style Slides in at under £16k with this offer :goodjob:

It may pay you to wait until after the initial flush of enthusiasm for the new model subsides and there are bigger discounts to be had. The diesel i30 is priced too close to the VX Golf and Ford Focus for them to achieve the hoped for increased market share. I think that Hyundai will give the dealers a discount within a few months to boost sales and this could well push the 1.4 petrol prices south.

I could be wrong of course. My wife reckons I usually am...................... :rofl:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It's valid until June, so I guess the question is will dealers be able to discount more than the voucher is worth?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal