i30 Owners Club

Hyundai MY2011 upgrades

inmn · 53 · 23257

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Alas there are a few things removed too (sound proofing, full size spare etc)

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2019 N-line i30, back in 2011 SLX i30cw diesel
the skirts and different front look great though..

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
i'm confused on what australia gets in the new model - do they get the new front?  :-[
i'm not sure i like it.

love the thought they're finally adding bluetooth. its the biggest that always bugged me about the i30. (presuming it's properly integrated into the stereo and not just an addon)
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
i'm confused on what australia gets in the new model - do they get the new front?  :-[
i'm not sure i like it.

I see where you are coming from SC (Looks a bit like a tropical fish, "GUPPY" from some angles but looks good in some colours and looks better with a number plate on than bare...)

I don't think we get it in Australia (looking at the Aussie website and recent postings on here) Must be like the ix35 which gets a different front for th European market.. 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Whilst I like it, give most people the choice between a full size spare and blue tooth and they will choose the latter.

Not sure about the wisdom of removing sound proofing and making the cabin louder....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2019 N-line i30, back in 2011 SLX i30cw diesel
Not sure about the wisdom of removing sound proofing and making the cabin louder....

Especially when you combine it with bluetooth handsfree which gets harder to use the louder the cabin is...   :eek:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
good point about the soundproofing, i already think the car suffers from 'road noise' with the default tyres.
removal of the sound proofing would surely be horrendous  :'(

and cheers Dazz. maybe we don't get this one then.
sorta curious as while i have no consideration of upgrading at this stage, i do wonder where the i30 is going
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yep I have 4.5 years and 113,000 before my lease is up. Time for them to lose their way, then return with a good package again.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Good call!  What soundproofing have they removed for 2011 spec cars?  (Although I presume you will be talking about Korean builds).  Just asking as my own Czech built 2011 model (in UK) is not the quietest car I have had - by far.  I think that the (16") Hankook tyres are largely to blame but would welcome any pointers with soundproofing.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  I think that the (16") Hankook tyres are largely to blame but would welcome any pointers with soundproofing.

There are a couple of recent threads on here with discussions and photos of soundproofing efforts... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I am sure the tyres get quieter as they get a few thousand miles on them. When new I could really hear them, but now I don't notice hardly at all. It could be just a matter of my brain habituating to it though.

The sound proofing I was really refering to was the large pad in the top of the bonnet, but its possible that was UK only and model specific. All the recent posts of new cars I've seen on here recently are of the paintwork, not under the bonnect etc, but I think at least two people have mentioned its missing.

If I had remained annoyed by the front roadwheel noise then I would have invested in the pads you can get to glue to the reverse sides of the plastic wheel arches (these get called different things in different countries). It remains to be seen how much is transmitted by air and how much up the steering colum though. These pads along with other "custom fit" soundproofing pads are often available on ebay as kits, but cost $$$.

I did make one small mod, and I never took it back out to find if it really made any difference, but its really cheap (should be my catchphrase) and easy to do. Undeneath the steering wheel there is a BIG slot and as soon as I saw that I thought it would make the dashboard act like the resonance chamber (on a violin say) and send any noise from the firewall or inside the dash directly at the driver. I located a piece of silver pipe lagging (I guess its PU foam, a bit like depron but softer) and used it to block, and as it happens trim very neatly, this gap. It might help, it might not, but it looks neater than a hole and it only costs £1 for 2m of the stuff over here.

Offline DaveCRDi

• 2nd Gear

The sound proofing I was really refering to was the large pad in the top of the bonnet, but its possible that was UK only and model specific. All the recent posts of new cars I've seen on here recently are of the paintwork, not under the bonnect etc, but I think at least two people have mentioned its missing.

My 2011 i30 has the under bonnet sound proofing.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
Other than the wheel colour and headlight bezels, the other features on the "real"  2011 model are integrated BT and a smart pedal setup, where if your foot is on the brake pedal and you hit the accelerator the brake will take over, I suppose it'll stop oldies driving through shop fronts.
 Also apparently there will be no dealer bonuses so rrp will be the price for a while at least...
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the smart pedal sounds like a good idea.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Is that because you're getting on in years?  :wink:

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
Only 52 yrs young, but getting there..
 :lol:
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol: :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

smart pedal setup, where if your foot is on the brake pedal and you hit the accelerator the brake will take over, I suppose it'll stop oldies driving through shop fronts.

We've had that for quite a while (more than a year). Toyota probably have it too now.

Offline steinrk

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway

• 1.6CRDi U2/6Spd
a smart pedal setup, where if your foot is on the brake pedal and you hit the accelerator the brake will take over, I suppose it'll stop oldies driving through shop fronts.

....hmmm, didn't know that. This has to be tested, preferably not in front of a shop  :rolleyes:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline de Bounce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thomastown
Easy way to check (in an auto) is over a speed hump.
Set throttle position with right foot
Brake with left foot, car should slow
Release brake, car should return to previous speed.

I was under the impression it only worked for the diesel as it had fly-by-wire!
  • 2010 MY11 FD SLX CW 1.6 CRDi in Clear Blue

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal