Top Gear in Decline

Dazzler · 19 · 3981

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting Article .. I am not as big a fan of the show as some other Members on here are..

Don't think anyone else has posted this ...

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/car-shows-wheels-are-falling-off-20130307-2fodu.html
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Every dog has its day.
I've never been a huge fan of Top Gear and have never watched it religiously.
But if it was on while I was channel surfing, I did quite enjoy the British versions.
The Australian ones never did it for me.
As far as the race, disability, homophobic, political jokes etc go, personally, I don't have a problem with it as long as it's generic because I choose to see it as humour.
It becomes pretty obvious when it's personal and directed at someone and that's a different story.
I think we need to lighten up a bit and allow humour for humour's sake IMO.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The thing is Dave, I get the feeling Clarkson is so big for his boots he feels untouchable  :fum:

I'm a big fan of humour but usually know where to draw the line .. :winker:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Fair call.
He doesn't worry me personally because I see it just as showmanship for tv, but I see what you mean.
It's a bit like talk back radio - if the presenter is ho hum, no one remembers him, but if he's controversial, everyone knows him.
It's just his job.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I think we need to lighten up a bit and allow humour for humour's sake IMO.

:goodjob2:  :goodjob:

Bloody whingers, can't slag off or make fun of anyone these days.... :fum:

Well, other than Daz and Dave and a few others.... :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The thing is Dave, I get the feeling Clarkson is so big for his boots he feels untouchable  :fum:

I'm a big fan of humour but usually know where to draw the line .. :winker:
There's no doubt he is. And, as you say, he knows it. But he's earning several million pounds a year doing it. I reckon he's like a public servant who sets out to see just how far he can go before he gets the sack.
If they turf him and the show tomorrow, he's still on easy street for the rest of his life.
He still earns a nice little side as part of those millions with his newspaper column.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I suppose I would come across as a tosser if I was on TV  :confused: :rofl:

Trev, and his books and his videos  :eek:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I agree with the article and will continue to enjoy it (Top Gear) - whilst it lasts.

However - I would like to see a parallel car programme on TV more suited to the average car buyer where cars and accessories the average Joe can afford are put through their paces and comparisons drawn. I doubt it will ever happen because that would be "documentary" rather than "entertainment" and todays programme producers are under commercial pressure to appeal to the lowest common denominator to get high ratings.

If such a programme was ever launched it would soon descend into having tests like "Which family hatchback has the best back seat for having sex" or "Which hot hatch has the most storage for cans of booze" etc to sponsor high ratings.

Sad innit................... :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Oh, I don't know.
All relevant stuff I would have thought.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It's gone right down the pan, imho  :disapp:

Last weeks show was spent entirely covering the three of them, in battered estate cars, trying to find the source of the Nile, travelling thousands of miles to do so.

They let slip that there were 30+ crew members with them, and the whole first episode (part 2 tomorrow) was shot from various angles by the crew with obvious retakes through some of the muddier terrain.

No longer what I'd call a motoring magazine  :rolleyes:

But I still watch it.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The Aussie show was a waste of time. Clarkson, whether you like him or not, lives a lot better than all of us, so he's got it worked out and we haven't.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I'm with Dave,it's just another comedy show,hosted by a tosspot,a midget and a gay guy,if this lot can't make fun of PPL we're all screwed,again as Dave said,lighten up PPL,it's just a show,a very funny one I think and you get to see a lot of cool cars that most of us won't be able to afford or get to see normally.

Original show is the best the Aussie show is garbage,lost interest in it within 30 -40 seconds of watching it
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I'm with Dave,it's just another comedy show,hosted by a tosser,a midget and a gay guy,if this lot can't make fun of PPL we're all screwed,again as Dave said,lighten up PPL,it's just a show,a very funny one I think and you get to see a lot of cool cars that most of us won't be able to afford or get to see normally.

Original show is the best the Aussie show is garbage,lost interest in it within 30 -40 seconds of watching it

Crikey - it never entered my head that JC was gay.  :head_butt:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
looks like the stig bailed[or was pushed]just before the ship sunk.  :undecided:  Richard Hammond has about half a dozen shows he's on over here.  :Shocked: $$$$$$$$ :workitout:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
looks like the stig bailed[or was pushed]just before the ship sunk.  :undecided:  Richard Hammond has about half a dozen shows he's on over here.  :Shocked: $$$$$$$$ :workitout:

only one I have not seen with his own shows so far over here is JC,but with what he has been paid over the years on TG,you can see who was getting the lions share of the money and kickbacks from that show.  Over the years there was always concern of some about who got paid what.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I used to watch the show religiously, but now I don't care whether I watch it or not (generally I don't watch it).  I agree with what Rick has said, it is a funny show that occasionally has nice cars on it (ones that I would never be able to afford).

BTW, my favourite episode is the African Challenge (driving through Botswana).  Laugh, I nearly ......

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I used to watch the show religiously, but now I don't care whether I watch it or not (generally I don't watch it).  I agree with what Rick has said, it is a funny show that occasionally has nice cars on it (ones that I would never be able to afford).

BTW, my favourite episode is the African Challenge (driving through Botswana).  Laugh, I nearly ......
I like the camping one where they set off towing a caravan through the wilds of southern England. Even though these things are scripted, they can be hilarious.
I also like what they did with The Hi Lux, way back when.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the Vietnam show was great,they rode scooters for about 5 days.  :Shocked: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
BTW.

The jury's still out.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal