Dead Kangaroo on Road Causes Fatal Crash

Dazzler · 16 · 2901

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Many of our members dread the damage (or have sustained damage) from impact with animals on the road, but it can have an even worse outcome as illustrated by this story  :disapp:

http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/student-19-dies-after-swerving-to-miss-dead-kangaroo-20130521-2jxkc.html
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Sad thing too happen,but It was probably more due to inexperience,but still very sad,for many PPL,swerving would bethe natural instinct
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Very sad, and even worse, with ESP, probably avoidable too.  :disapp: :disapp: :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
Geez I feel bad for whinging about some smashes spoties and bent bill bar down.

Not much we can do about the dead ones unfortunately.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You could pull it off the road, so the next poor sod doesn't die, trying to avoid it.

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
We are lucky enough to have a councel truck in the blue mountains that does exactly that in the areas where it's "deemed" to dangerous for others. Mind you not too hard to pull over and wait for a gap in traffic

Pip
Yes indeed a dreadful result. When I was about that age I momentarily but seriously lost control trying not to run over a dog. I didn't but I was sufficiently scared by the event I vowed never to do that again. A few years later I needed to test that resolve and hit a dog (probably before I could have reacted anyway). Its head was the only thing I hit with the metal bumper. Its neck was broken and I'm sure it was dead before it hit the ground. Not a lot of fun for me either I might add.

I've recounted that sad story to my son, who's still in the first few years of his driving life, more than once in the hope he heeds my warning.

Not sure I'd run over a dead kangaroo though as I imagine that would be even riskier than swerving to avoid it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Similar thing happened here a year ago. Lady dodged a koala crossing the freeway. The koala made it, she didn't, there was a concrete bridge support in her diversion path. Killed instantly.  :disapp:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
If yuo have enough time to react, try to steer with your wheels either side of the carcass.
It'll make a hell of a thump but minimal damage.
It's the violent swerve or hitting it with a wheel that causes you to lose control.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Sad news indeed.
you would think that a car couldn't safely run over a dead kangaroo but from experience, I know it can.
I hit one once on a gravel road. It was a big male boomer, easily six feet tall, and as Trev said, a hell of a bang but no damage as the wheels went either side of it.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
If yuo have enough time to react, try to steer with your wheels either side of the carcass.
It'll make a hell of a thump but minimal damage.
It's the violent swerve or hitting it with a wheel that causes you to lose control.

yes going full tilt around a bend Trev,your option is the only one,like you say it makes a hell of a noise and on our smaller cars,It could do some minor damged,but your still alive,Like Phil said if you see a dead roo,if safe take the time to remove it from the road,next person in the dark may not see it as this poor girl didn't

I wish we had someone to monitor our local Hwy I use,came home tonight and I removed three smaller Blacklove wallabies.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
I wish we had someone to monitor our local Hwy I use,came home tonight and I removed three smaller Blacklove wallabies.

Took a long time for us to get someone to monitor the roads up this way, and unfortunately a similar incident to this but instead of swerving into a treat it was another car, very sad :(. But as many have said, better to run over it then run around it. Didnt see a wombat one night on my way through the Kangaroo Valley in my old commodore.. caused a crap load of damaged to front end but stayed on the road...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm really careful at dusk on the 3km Rural Road to our house.

I sit on about 50 - 60 kph as lots of wallabies and stuff around.

Unfortunately, sometimes idiots tailgate me up the road, which would make things nasty if I had to brake suddenly  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Didnt see a wombat one night on my way through the Kangaroo Valley in my old commodore.. caused a crap load of damaged to front end but stayed on the road...

Yes their tough little buggers,hit one across the nullabor many many moons ago,like you said did a shite load of damage,once I stopped went back to get in of the road,little turd just got up shook himself and wandered off ,bit of skin and fur missing but he walked off

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal