Bargain Tuning Chip on eBay

Guest · 20 · 5809

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
The old cynic who hides inside me popped up as soon as I looked at this rusty.....    :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Me too, Asa....but the price is certainly right and he has pretty good feedback....  :undecided:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Me too, Asa....but the price is certainly right and he has pretty good feedback....  :undecided:
feedback might mean nothing in some cases
I wouldn't dare fit this thing in my car

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Looks like the kind of circuit board I used to build on when I was doing electronics at 7 y/o :eek:

I'd sure steer clear.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
As a comparision, what would the price be direct from Hy
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Looks like the kind of circuit board I used to build on when I was doing electronics at 7 y/o :eek:

I'd sure steer clear.

h it was you buying all that stuff a Tandy was it....     :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I'd sure steer clear.

What's that saying, don't judge a book by it's cover???  :winker:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot barge pole, how is it possible to make ridiculous claims about fuel consumption & power. If it was true don't you think the manufacturer would put it in as standard to compete with the other brands. BTW how can this device work on both petrol & diesel engines if it's mapping fuel induction timing & quantity. Surely they can't be the same, it's "Droppings of the cow's husband."  ;)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot barge pole, how is it possible to make ridiculous claims about fuel consumption & power. If it was true don't you think the manufacturer would put it in as standard to compete with the other brands. BTW how can this device work on both petrol & diesel engines if it's mapping fuel induction timing & quantity. Surely they can't be the same, it's "Droppings of the cow's husband."  ;)

It's no different to all the other tuning chips, they all claim similar gains in power, torque and fuel savings.

Many of our members are running these devices and swear by them.  :D

Do a search on this forum..... ;)

Pip
No mate... this one's a scam, pure and simple. :scared: Fits all cars including petrol (you can't chip tune petrol cars).

Like Shambles said... my prototypes are more professional than that placky box. :rofl:

You can't seriously think this is genuine? Did you read his feedback? The guy sounds like one of those fast talking blokes that sells 24 caret gold jewelery in the street for "bargain" prices. They always seem to be pomms for some reason. :whistler:

Apologies to the English gentlemen here. :wink:

Edit: BTW I have a proper tuning box. It looks a lot different to this and yes it works. I imagine the most important thing (other than it works) is that it has compatible cables and plugs so that it can plug into the wiring. Something as generic as this with instructions to "ask me how to connect it after you get it" is already telling the buyer that it won't fit.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:31:10 by Pip »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
(you can't chip tune petrol cars).

Seems you can, here's one such company..... http://www.powertuning.cc/page.php?16

You can't seriously think this is genuine? Did you read his feedback? The guy sounds like one of those fast talking blokes that sells 24 caret gold jewelery in the street for "bargain" prices. They always seem to be pomms for some reason. :whistler:

I'm assuming you mean his advert, not his feedback?
His feedback is actually very good, better than many others that sell tuning boxes on eBay.

Something as generic as this with instructions to "ask me how to connect it after you get it" is already telling the buyer that it won't fit.

It comes with fitting instructions and photos. and he has mentioned that if you have trouble installing, contact him....Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.... :undecided:

While I don't profess to knowing that much about tuning boxes, it seems to me that everyone is judging the "book by it's cover".
Would you be more comfortable with it if he was charging 5 times the price and only showed a sealed box like others do? 

Looking at his received feedback, people that have purchased one of these boxes seem to be happy with it, so I'm gonna reserve my judgement until I see lot's of negative feedback..... :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Aw come on Rusty - his young son is knocking these up in school :rolleyes:

Yes, the "book cover" does let it down. My guess is he's found a cheap source of ICs and worked out that pins 11 & 12 have a 22Ω resistance between them, so he's using that in the same way as those he's [correctly] knocking.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Pip
No Rusty, I did mean his feedback.  Read his responses to those that gave negative and neutral feedback. It's pure smart arse stuff. I wouldn't buy anything from this guy... however it is so cheap that a lot of people (like you perhaps) would take a chance.

Give it a go and tell us how you get on.  :scared: :sweating: :blubber:

I truly thought you posted this for us to have a laugh.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hope he makes the chips better than he spells.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
These are the best chips to buy   :rofl:

http://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk/love-chips/homepage/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 16:09:37 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, this bloke is still selling these bargain tuning chips, and there appears to be very little negative feedback on them..... :whistler:

Not bad for a scam..... :p

Pip
Why don't you get one and do a review for us sceptics? :goodjob2:

mick55
Why buy this when you can do an ECU reset by simply disconnecting your battery? :rofl: By the way I've got this big bridge for sale in Sydney very reasonably priced, first to see will buy. PM me for details  :whistler:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Look he even sells fuel saving magnets guaranteed to cut your fuel consumption by wrapping around the fuel pipe.  Apparently it works by "charging fuel molecules with a single polarity, this means the molecules repel each other which results in the fuel dispersing more efficiently allowing a better combustion."

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250910641559#ht_3016wt_1037

WOW.

Can't wait to get my hands on that one.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal