i30 Owners Club

8 small cars compared side by side (incl i30)

Offline s13_eisbaer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • Top 100 Experiences
Interesting article, and nice to see most of the competitors reviewed side-by-side.

• VW Golf
  • Mazda 3
  • Toyota Corolla
  • Holden (Vauxhall) Cruise
  • Ford Focus
  • Hundai i30
  • Opel (Vauxhall) Astra
  • Honda Civic

http://www.caradvice.com.au/232587/volkswagen-golf-v-mazda-3-v-toyota-corolla-v-holden-cruze-v-ford-focus-v-hyundai-i30-v-opel-astra-v-honda-civic/
  • 2013 GD Active hatch (6sp manual)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Interesting article, generally I don't believe the results that usually come from these reviews. This one is no different, it has no credibility because the "Holden Cruze" will ALWAYS be a Daewoo IMO. It is impossible to make a proper comparison when there are so many parameters to consider, equipment level, pricing etc. How many members here are driving the spec i30 reviewed, or the other brands / models in their specification.

The article is informative from the reviewer's perspective and provides some insight into the other brands, if you're looking.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Curious to know how the Cruze, being a Daewoo somehow gives the review no cred, Phil....  :undecided:

Offline s13_eisbaer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • Top 100 Experiences
I'm intrigued by the performance and handling of the latest SRi turbo Cruze, but the interior and its crappy plastic really turns me off.
  • 2013 GD Active hatch (6sp manual)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Interesting article, and nice to see most of the competitors reviewed side-by-side.

• VW Golf
  • Mazda 3
  • Toyota Corolla
  • Holden (Vauxhall) Cruise
  • Ford Focus
  • Hundai i30
  • Opel (Vauxhall) Astra
  • Honda Civic

http://www.caradvice.com.au/232587/volkswagen-golf-v-mazda-3-v-toyota-corolla-v-holden-cruze-v-ford-focus-v-hyundai-i30-v-opel-astra-v-honda-civic/
Interesting,myself personally when we were looking at so so many cars before deciding on the I30,I would always our our experience put the I30,above the Cruze and the focus,OMO
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Curious to know how the Cruze, being a Daewoo somehow gives the review no cred, Phil....  :undecided:
I tend to agree Rusty.
My experience with the Cruz and the Epica (which I also think was a  Daewoo) is that they have "done a Hyundai" and lifted their game in the last few years. And I have to admit, while it looks bigger than the I30, it looks pretty good.
Not that I'm gonna buy one.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
An interesting read.
Also interesting that they say that the MY14 upgrade is a backward step.

We were first to test the MY14 i30 which gets local suspension upgrades (but no visual tweaks). Body control is much tighter than it was previously, but the Hyundai suffers from intrusive stability control and average steering response.

Worse, the changes made to improve body control have introduced a level of urban and freeway intrusion that weren’t there previously. The i30 deals with large irregularities well, but it now transmits even the smallest of road imperfections to the cabin, thumps over larger ones, and responds far too aggressively to speed humps. It feels unrefined and at odds with the car’s character.

And another point I picked up was that the Honda needs a diesel engine a manual gearbox. Well now it has one.
Honda (in Australia at least) have always been known as a quality product IMO, so I'm thinking that they are the ones Hyundai needs to keep an eye on.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Maybe I was in a bad mood this morning, but I just felt that a spade should be called a spade. Putting a lion badge on the front doesn't make it a Holden product ( apart from the fact that it IS assembled here in a country where production workers jobs are declining by the week, guaranteeing a happy satisfied workforce (not)). It's a Korean car, so lets call it that.

It is surprising how many people I know that call this car a Holden, believing that its origin is from Holden design team. Marzipan actually likes the design and often mentions that she would like to own one, over my dead body.

What's wrong with the Cruze, well, one of my pet hates is silver plastic components where the silver flakes off leaving a horrible mixture of silver and white plastic underneath. Mazda are bad for this too and I know it has already happened in the Cruze, after such a short time, door handles etc.

The air conditioner condenser splits at the intrusion of stones through the grille. $1500 to fix and it's not warranty, there have been multiple instances of this, if you scan the forums. I did this before we went i30 because the car looked about right for us, too.

Excessive fuel consumption from the diesel, yes it does have bags of torque, but that needs feeding constantly.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I hear what you're saying, Phil.
Unfortunately (or fortunately  :undecided:) IMO they look nice, which is as far as many people go.
Same as the Captiva. I like the look of it.
I guess the same can be said of the Kia Optima which I think is quite a stunning looking car, especially for the price. It was a smart move to pay Peter Schreyer a heap of money to make the move over that will pay off big time because of how the cars now look.
But yes, once a Daewoo, always a Daewoo......
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Lucky people don't say that sort of thing about Hyundai.... :rofl:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Lucky people don't say that sort of thing about Hyundai.... :rofl:
Word on the street is that you've replaced your Hy badge with one off a BMW. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Hyundai’s i30 has the best warranty, cheap servicing, a fine interior and lots of kit, but the suspension upgrade has ruined its urban ride quality. 

Did I miss something here. What is this ruined urban ride quality of which they speak?
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Australian suspensions are beefed up slightly to cater for our roads (whatever that means). We also get torsion bar suspension, as opposed to IRS in Europe.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Hyundai’s i30 has the best warranty, cheap servicing, a fine interior and lots of kit, but the suspension upgrade has ruined its urban ride quality. 

Did I miss something here. What is this ruined urban ride quality of which they speak?

They're talking about the MY14 suspension upgrades that have been made that have apparently had an adverse effect on ride quality.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I will check the review out shortly  :ta: Looks comprehensive  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
HAHAHAH look at the fuel consumption on the holden cruize... its 14.5L/100km.

they are pretty much telling me, that a VF SS manual 6L V8 commodore is better on fuel at 11.5L/100km

http://www.holden.com.au/cars/commodore/sedan-range/ss#specifications
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 22:28:21 by agentr31 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I finally checked this out. I thought it was fairly unbiased. :cool:

Makes you wonder why the Corolla and i30 are the two best sellers at the moment (the power of advertising?)  :undecided:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
remember to put the drivers seat all the way back and sit in the back seat,the leg room in the rear seat is a huge factor in buying a new car.  :winker: 
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

remember to put the drivers seat all the way back and sit in the back seat,the leg room in the rear seat is a huge factor in buying a new car.  :winker:

Isn't it difficult to test drive it from that position?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline auto_buzz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Interesting to read from this article about Australian MY 14 changes to the suspension and this has had a negative effect. Does anyone know what changes have occurred or if there are any other changes to MY 14 i30s? I have not been able to find anything from dealers in Melbourne....
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome auto_buzz.

I have done a quick search of google, however the adverse comments in this comparison appear to be the only reference I can find (very little detail unfortunately)

You could try emailing Hyundai Australia for information (via their website)  :cool:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline kyle0968

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
i think the number of "stars" at the end of the review does not correspond to what was written in the text...   or is it just me?
  • GD i30 active petrol

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Not to a lot of the older people who buy them,look at the demographics of the age groups that buy the most I30's,when we where looking and there were five which came into the final considerstion,for purchase for us and all had comparable poor back seat leg room,for us personally this was not a big consideration
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i think the number of "stars" at the end of the review does not correspond to what was written in the text...   or is it just me?
I can see where you are coming from Kyle

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal