i30 Owners Club

i30 Tourer

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Just checked at the dealership. The Oz i30 Tourer EX Czechoslovakia, is NOT fitted with a DPF. :goodjob2: :happydance:

Only took 40 minutes to find out.

The service dept advised me to use a C3 oil for Ruby's service.  :eek: I had to correct them.  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol: Nice job, Phil. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I guess it's a fair saving for Hyundai not having them in the Australian model when they aren't required here..... :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
They must cost a bit if blokes are knocking them off for the scrap metal...... :scared:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
I just bought one of these yesterday.  It's a new car, so won't be delivered to me until the end of January.  Looking forward to i!
  • GD i30 Active Tourer CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Excellent, please give us your opinion of it soon after it arrives. There aren't many owners in Australia, of the imported model.  :goodjob2:

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Happy to.  I'll report in when I receive it, then when I've driven it a bit.

I've actually taken a bit of a risk, in that the dealership could only provide a regular i30 diesel for me to test drive, but given the weight difference is small (and they gave me a very good deal) I went for the Tourer anyway.  I'm looking forward to a few road trips to the beach!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
IF we were to get another, it would be the tourer as well. The extra space is very handy, I'm told. Coming from a WRX, you WILL need to adjust your driving style. The Diesel is happiest under 3k rpm and has sufficient torque for most people between 1800-3000. I think you will enjoy the ride after getting used to the engine.

Remember the fuel economy takes some time to achieve, so don't be too critical about the early km results.  :goodjob2:

And we love pics too.  :happydance:

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Thanks! :)

Part of the reason I got out of the WRX was the practicality aspect, but also because now I'm an old bugger (I'll be 40 in a couple of years!) I don't tend to drive quickly any more.  Most of my driving in the WRX was actually under 3000 rpm!

I've also had a long term fascination with fuel economy, and am looking forward to seeing how I go.  When I test drove the i30 I only went over 3000rpm once to see what was up there.  Given the torque band, and the revs at which torque is strongest, I'm expecting to have to adjust a bit.  I've also never had a 6 speed gearbox before, so I'll need to get used to getting the best out of the engine using the available ratios (which are very wide).

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Glad to hear that you are open to change of style, occasionally we get people who insist on driving the car like a petrol and then complain about being slower in acceleration than petrol etc.

A good guide to top end performance is the last number on the speedo, I'm happy if the car can do 75% of the top number.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Tourer_guy.. Nice Choice.. Sounds like you went the manual too .. :mrgreen: :victory:

We had a 2008 CRDi (love that motor).

We upgraded to something bigger as our main car and then swapped the wifes car to the previous "tourer".

Because of the low kilometres she does (less than 8000 per year) we went the petrol which was luck for her .. otherwise I might be borrowing it all the time. :evil:

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Glad to hear that you are open to change of style, occasionally we get people who insist on driving the car like a petrol and then complain about being slower in acceleration than petrol etc.

A good guide to top end performance is the last number on the speedo, I'm happy if the car can do 75% of the top number.

Cheers.

The biggest different I noticed when test driving the diesel was that 'off the line' launch is slower than a petrol, but that the rolling acceleration was as good or better.  Under real world driving, maximum launch is a lot less useful than mid range flexibility, especially for the types of driving I do (mainly commuting in fast flowing traffic with few complete stops).

I've noticed that first gear is very short, and only good for perhaps 40 km/h flat out, but that top gear is very tall, good for over 50km/h per 1000 rpm.  I've attached a PDF dump of part of a spreadsheet I use for estimating in gear speeds.

At this stage I'm guessing I'll be spending the majority of my driving life between 1800 and 2300 rpm.  And fortunately I'll have a good spread of gears to make that viable.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Just checked at the dealership. The Oz i30 Tourer EX Czechoslovakia, is NOT fitted with a DPF. :goodjob2: :happydance:

The service dept advised me to use a C3 oil for Ruby's service.  :eek: I had to correct them.  :whistler:

DPF ? Please explain to a dummy.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Short answer is, DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter.

The exhaust is filtered as an anti pollution measure in Europe and other selected world zones. The filter becomes clogged periodically and enters a regeneration cycle where extra fuel is injected late in the combustion process and burns in the exhaust pipe to raise temperature and self clean the filter. This is a fully automated process, controlled by the ECU. The fuel used does not produce any power and is therefore considered wasted. This in turn, increases the Diesel fuel consumption overall, but does contribute to cleaner air. In Australia, we are not required to have a DPF on Diesel engines, yet.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Short answer is, DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter.

The exhaust is filtered as an anti pollution measure in Europe and other selected world zones. The filter becomes clogged periodically and enters a regeneration cycle where extra fuel is injected late in the combustion process and burns in the exhaust pipe to raise temperature and self clean the filter. This is a fully automated process, controlled by the ECU. The fuel used does not produce any power and is therefore considered wasted. This in turn, increases the Diesel fuel consumption overall, but does contribute to cleaner air. In Australia, we are not required to have a DPF on Diesel engines, yet.

Copied Phil, thanks. :happydance:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline si618

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Blackwood, Adelaide

Hello, first poster here, on our i30 CRDi tourer, there's a sticker on the engine cover which states a DPF filter is not fitted and gives the specific type of oil to use.

Having read about DPF filters before buying, since our car is mostly for urban driving, I probably would've gone for a petrol instead if a DPF was fitted. We got the diesel for the same price as the petrol model, so decided to go with it, and have planted an extra dozen trees in our garden to balance the scales :mrgreen:

FWIW, we're getting ~7.5L/100km, which I'm happy with since we live in the Adelaide hills so will never get the claimed economy. Currently only going by the computer and haven't done a proper brim-to-brim test yet as we've only just passed 2,000 km on the odometer.

Given their historic rep, was a bit of leap of faith going with Hyundai, but so far so good, we love the car and happy with the decision. Only issue we've had was the fuel flap cover opened a couple of times by itself in the first month. Hasn't happened again so I've put it down to the release spring which unlocks it being too tight, but will warranty it if it happens again.
  • 2013 i30 GD CRDi Active Auto Tourer

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hello, first poster here, on our i30 CRDi tourer, there's a sticker on the engine cover which states a DPF filter is not fitted and gives the specific type of oil to use.

Thanks si618, it's nice to have the lack of dpf confirmed by the sticker on the engine cover... :goodjob:

Welcome to the forum, by the way... :drinks:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Good 1st post si. A few tourer's in Europe are having trouble with the roof rails twisting. Keep an eye on yours too.

Diesels take a long time to return the best economy 10000k +, so there's still room for improvement yet.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:wttc: You have a very nice choice of car :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info about the sticker too ..  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline si618

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Blackwood, Adelaide
A few tourer's in Europe are having trouble with the roof rails twisting. Keep an eye on yours too.

Thanks, I saw that in another thread as well, so had a look last night and they're fine, but will keep an eye on them, cheers!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Having read about DPF filters before buying, since our car is mostly for urban driving, I probably would've gone for a petrol instead if a DPF was fitted. We got the diesel for the same price as the petrol model, so decided to go with it, and have planted an extra dozen trees in our garden to balance the scales :mrgreen:

FWIW, we're getting ~7.5L/100km, which I'm happy with since we live in the Adelaide hills so will never get the claimed economy. Currently only going by the computer and haven't done a proper brim-to-brim test yet as we've only just passed 2,000 km on the odometer.

Given their historic rep, was a bit of leap of faith going with Hyundai, but so far so good, we love the car and happy with the decision. Only issue we've had was the fuel flap cover opened a couple of times by itself in the first month. Hasn't happened again so I've put it down to the release spring which unlocks it being too tight, but will warranty it if it happens again.

Historic Rep? please explain? I've heard nothing but praise for the I30.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline si618

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Blackwood, Adelaide
Given their historic rep, was a bit of leap of faith going with Hyundai...
Historic Rep? please explain? I've heard nothing but praise for the I30.....
I was talking about Hyundai, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal