UK - Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014

eye30 · 72 · 14632

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Motorists that sell cars privately will not be entitled to offer the “unexpired tax” incentive from October 2014, the Automobile Association has revealed. Sellers will have to claim vehicle excise duty refunds for any remaining months from the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Buyers will then have to pay road tax online, at post offices or via telephone before taking to the road.

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/private-cars-cannot-be-sold-with-road-tax-from-october-2014_60347?utm_source=motoring.co.uk&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter&src=motoring
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Bloody stupid... Makes selling a car privately just a it harder...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Makes the Government a heap of 'cancellation' and new registration fees though.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

With the increase in anpr cameras they will have a field day catching those who buy a car and decide to take a chance driving it home without tax.

Picture taken, fine sent via post.......

With insurance you can at least arrange in advance but not it appear for road tax

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Sounds complicated to me, how much is the UK Road Tax then?

We pay Annual Registration and 3rd party insurance (for injury claims) plus comprehensive damage insurance is optional. :wacko:

As in UK, the ANPR in Highway Patrol/Traffic vehicles is detecting a lot of these shonks who don't register their car, but then you cannot get blood out of a stone. They get disqualified and keep on driving. :evil:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
They get disqualified and keep on driving. :evil:

There needs to be the correct deterrent, car forfeited, no court, straight to jail, hard labour, for a standard period.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Sounds complicated to me, how much is the UK Road Tax then?

We pay Annual Registration and 3rd party insurance (for injury claims) plus comprehensive damage insurance is optional. :wacko:

As in UK, the ANPR in Highway Patrol/Traffic vehicles is detecting a lot of these shonks who don't register their car, but then you cannot get blood out of a stone. They get disqualified and keep on driving. :evil:

Road tax (or Vehicle Excise Duty) varies from nothing to about £480 per year depending on CO2 emissions. My 1.4 petrol is £140 per year, which is silly really considering how few miles I do per year.

Police cars which scan registrations and check with the databases are fairly common so driving without it is a no-no.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Stupid idea.

A big selling phrase in private car adverts is "taxed and tested". That'd have to change to just "tested" :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It is just another cash cow, mine is now £175 p/a and again I do low mileage so have the same comment as Diablo.

Now some of us will remember when it was called Road Tax and you paid either a motorcycle or private passenger vehicle fee and the money was (originally) used to
(click to show/hide)

Now we have a system which is nothing more than a revenue raiser, the money is certainly not spent on our road networks.

Now an idea a few years back was to scrap it completely and add a further duty to fuel, that way the more you use the roads the more you pay (so is related to wear of the network AND emissions), however the flip side of that is of course rising costs of all goods due to increased cost of transportation.

As has been pointed out this will have a knock on effect on the govt. department with an increase on refund requests, however I think this may be easier than it first looks, they have just announced that you will no longer have to display the VED disc in the windscreen anymore, therefore refund will be by cancellation on the internet or by phone and cash returned to you by bank transfer.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Irefund will be by cancellation on the internet or by phone and cash returned to you by bank transfer.

Collection of private banking information, by stealth. :fum:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Or ex owners will not bother for a few months refund and money kept by government

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Irefund will be by cancellation on the internet or by phone and cash returned to you by bank transfer.

It might be refund to the card you used to pay it with, they have already collected the information when you have paid!

Can't see anyone saying I am not applying for the refund Lester, I wouldn't urinate on this lot if they were on fire, let alone give them extra money!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

wouldn't urinate on this lot if they were on fire, let alone give them extra money!
Stent not working Brian? : undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :rofl:

Nice one Dazz!  Stent is doing fine thanks!

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
It might be refund to the card you used to pay it with, they have already collected the information when you have paid!

Under the Data Protection Act, it is an offence to hold & keep these records.

However, Staysure Insurance recently had thousands of Debit Card Details scammed from their database - including the 3 digit security number, (on the back of the card). Staysure knew for several weeks but failed to inform Cardholders until exterior influences held them to account.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It seems an eminently sensible idea to me. Anything to get untaxed and uninsured cars identified must surely be a good thing.

You cannot get a car taxed without proof of insurance - hence it is an indirect means of ensuring that someone cannot buy and immediately drive a car without insurance.

I realise some idiots will try and ignore the new legislation - but they run the risk of the police detecting them much more easily.

If it causes second hand car sellers and buyers a few minutes inconvenience - I think it is worth the small sacrifice.

I guess I am in the minority here - but so be it. Some of us have to be pioneers. :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Got to agree with most of what you say Alan, I do however wonder at the idea of not having to show a tax disc in the windscreen, we are now even more reliant on the police car with ANPR system to ensure that the vehicle is legally on the road, no longer can an untaxed car be checked by the bobby on the beat or traffic warden.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Got to agree with most of what you say Alan, I do however wonder at the idea of not having to show a tax disc in the windscreen, we are now even more reliant on the police car with ANPR system to ensure that the vehicle is legally on the road, no longer can an untaxed car be checked by the bobby on the beat or traffic warden.

No different to here.

We pay an annual fee for the road tax, but no stickers on the car at all, and there haven't been for the 23 years I've been driving.

Here, when selling a car private, the new owner have 3 weeks to get the car registered in his/her name. Sellers Insurance will cover the period until registration is done. When new registration is in the system, seller get's refund of whatever roadtax is left.

As a seller you can also just hand in the registration plates ( number plate ) to the DMV then your Insurance and roadtax will expire immediately. New owner will then have to pay for new numberplates to get it registered.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
They get disqualified and keep on driving. :evil:

There needs to be the correct deterrent, car forfeited, no court, straight to jail, hard labour, for a standard period.

Oh c'mon Phil, if yer gonna do a job ya might as well do it right first time round 'Hang um'   :victory: :victory: :victory:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Sellers Insurance will cover the period until registration is done.

So if new buyer has an at fault accident does the sellers insurance cover it and therefore loose their no claims and hence higher premium on renewal?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No problem at all with the concept, Alan, just the refund method.

@Colorphase,

The law must be different here, I had an insurance company bill me for motor insurance using my card details from the previous year's payment, all without my authority.  :fum:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Sellers Insurance will cover the period until registration is done.

So if new buyer has an at fault accident does the sellers insurance cover it and therefore loose their no claims and hence higher premium on renewal?

Sellers Insurance will cover the damage without the normal excess, and as it's in the selling process seller won't be hold responsible for the damage, i.e no higher Premium.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Pretty much all of Australia have stopped the Registration stickers now Brian .. seems to be a world wide trend.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
No problem at all with the concept, Alan, just the refund method.

@Colorphase,

The law must be different here, I had an insurance company bill me for motor insurance using my card details from the previous year's payment, all without my authority.  :fum:

Mine did that in October also, must have my card details from the year before :confused:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

@Colorphase,

It can be the same here - if you allow Automatic Renewal.
Hire Companies, Hotels etc. get you to agree to any damage or additional subsequent charges against your Card.
If not obvious, I try to check the small print.
Under our Data Protection Act, you have to agree first.
A Dealer may well refuse to hold such sensitive information - even if you verbally request it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Nobody informed me about auto renewal, it probably was in the fine print, but the initial insurance was conducted over the phone. I got a full refund.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Nobody informed me about auto renewal, it probably was in the fine print, but the initial insurance was conducted over the phone. I got a full refund.

Here, they do not do that either - you need to read the T & C's :(

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
From this thread then we find out that many countries have never had to display the tax papers or have removed the need to.

Has there been any data to show a change in untaxed vehicles in any of your countries??

Has there been more untaxed vehicles picked up by ANPR systems than by the old methods?

There have been a huge number of threads on this forum about the proliferation of camera detection across the globe, yet it now is more apparent than ever that in order to protect us from illegal activity, even as basic as untaxed vehicles on the road (which in the UK are therefore uninsured), we really need this increase in big brother tactics.  Scary!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal