i30 Owners Club

UK - Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014

eye30 · 72 · 14630

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm sure the case for unregistered vehicles has increased because of the disc removal system. I'm quite in favour of the ANPR function, I think it's absolutely great. Our registration division now offers a reminder system for registration expiry, which I don't need, as it is in my cashbook software as a scheduled expense. I'm sure State revenues have increased as a result though.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Travel insurer Staysure hit by data breach: - Money Saving Expert

The problem with Staysure's Auto Renewal system, is that they should have kept the information encrypted, but failed to do so.

Sorry for Off Topic.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have lived in Middle East Countries where it is the car that is insured and not the owner. Anyone holding a full driver's licence can drive the car with the owners prior permission. If they have an accident - it is the owner's no-claims record that gets hit.

With this system when a car is sold - the insurance and road tax goes with it - and the seller is legally obliged to notify the insurance company and tax authority the identity and address of the new owner plus the effective date and time. The new owner is also obligated to notify the authorities that they now own the car. The insurance company will then look at the new owner's records and decide whether the premium needs adjustment (up or down) for the remainder of the period. The renewal date for insurance and road tax are the same for the life of the car. If you have it off the road for a period, tough luck, neither the road tax nor the insurance can be suspended.

All vehicles are subjected to an annual roadworthiness inspection by the road tax authority (government body) who will not licence the vehicle without it passing this test and proof that insurance is in place for the following year.  I used to pay for insurance renewal in advance and then send one of my staff to the test centre on the renewal date, to go through the test centre who issued him with a pass certificate. He would then park up and queue for an hour or so armed with my insurance certificate and the inspection pass to be given, upon payment, a confirmation that the car was now taxed for the following 12 months.

If you buy a used car you are stuck with the previous owners choice of insurance company until the renewal date - when you are free to change insurers.

This all may sound strange - but it works beautifully. (Especially when you have a subordinate to do all the donkey work)

The result is that the chance of a car on the road without valid insurance, road tax and an annual roadworthiness certificate is close to zero.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 20:06:28 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Excellent :ta:

Also,

debit card details being kept and used without me knowing

OK, but what is not said here is that when your insurance company send you the renewal paperwork they state that they will take the payment on renewal date subject to you NOT cancelling the policy prior to that date, therefore by implication you are giving them permission by not informing them you do not wish to renew.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

OK, but what is not said here is that when your insurance company send you the renewal paperwork they state that they will take the payment on renewal date subject to you NOT cancelling the policy prior to that date, therefore by implication you are giving them permission by not informing them you do not wish to renew.

Yes, this can happen, you really do have to be diligent.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I have lived in Middle East Countries where it is the car that is insured and not the owner. Anyone holding a full driver's licence can drive the car with the owners prior permission. If they have an accident - it is the owner's no-claims record that gets hit.

Same here. We insure the car. I can lend my car to anybody I want to, but if driver is under 26 and have an accident, the excess is double up.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I find my previous Banking, insurance and Management experience comes in really handy in these situations.  If I cancel anything I try and do it a couple of weeks from renewal (confirming though that it will still be covered/ valid until renewal date and noting the name of the person I spoke to, and the date)

I then monitor my accounts by netbank very closely and jump on anything that looks out of order.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Also,

I don't see the problem.

We have all our bills payed automatically by the bank. Insurance, Water, electricity, roadtax, you name it. The payment only stop if I cancel whetever agreement it's about. I don't sit every month paying bill's, don't have to worry about it.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

But, if you don't want to renew, you will call or write to them letting them know you don't want their product anymore, don't you.. :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Also,

I don't see the problem.

We have all our bills payed automatically by the bank. Insurance, Water, electricity, roadtax, you name it. The payment only stop if I cancel whetever agreement it's about. I don't sit every month paying bill's, don't have to worry about it.

True, their argument for doing this is to guarantee continuity of cover if customers overlook their renewal (which some can do)  :cool:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Totally agree Asterix, I have no issue with it either, however some people are less than happy about their details being kept on record.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Totally agree Asterix, I have no issue with it either, however some people are less than happy about their details being kept on record.

That fight is already lost in today's World...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

But, if you don't want to renew, you will call or write to them letting them know you don't want their product anymore, don't you.. :question:

A resounding YES :)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

That fight is already lost in today's World...

:whsaid:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

True, their argument for doing this is to guarantee continuity of cover if customers overlook their renewal (which some can do)  :cool:

May get continuity but you may not get the best price as company may not offer the lowest price at renewal which you may get if you shop around.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

:wts: :offtopic:

:backontopic:  I am happy to lose the tax disc.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I like the disc.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I like the disc.
Ours were rectangular  :P

May get continuity but you may not get the best price as company may not offer the lowest price at renewal which you may get if you shop around.

Don't worry I shop around!  :evil:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Potentially this could be an earnings loser for the councils around my area.

The car parks are routinely inspected by wardens checking for invalid or missing tax disks, which would render the car as an unauthorised vehicle on their land. I know, it happened to me around 10 years ago when I'd inadvertantly sandwiched my new tax disk between the expired one and a previous one that I'd kept in the display holder.

So yes, a thumbs up from me on losing this particular cash cow.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I like the disc.
Ours were rectangular  :P

Don't worry I shop around!  :evil:

I've been with the same company for nigh on 20 years but refuse their renewal and take a new policy always at a lower premium.

Go figure.  No lowest price for loyalty!

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I've been with the same company for nigh on 20 years but refuse their renewal and take a new policy always at a lower premium.

Go figure.  No lowest price for loyalty!

Crikey - if for nigh on 20 years your premium has been lower than the previous year - they will be paying you to have their insurance soon................... :rofl: :rofl:

You better tell us who they are............. :goodjob:.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

No. lower than the renewal price

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Ah...I C

I tried that last year.

Before I received my renewal I went on their web site (And their competitors) and download several quotes. Their web quote was about £20 less than the renewal when it arrived.

I rang them up and queried it - the agent then did a check and confirmed that the renewal price was correct. She added that web prices are normally lower those over the phone because of the lower overhead. 

Fair enough says I - but the renewal came by post, not over the phone.

Her reply......, It makes no difference - we have to work out the renewal price using our staff - when you do it via the web you are saving us labour.

I gave up and placed my business elsewhere at £40 less.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ah...I C

I tried that last year.

Before I received my renewal I went on their web site (And their competitors) and download several quotes. Their web quote was about £20 less than the renewal when it arrived.

I rang them up and queried it - the agent then did a check and confirmed that the renewal price was correct. She added that web prices are normally lower those over the phone because of the lower overhead. 

Fair enough says I - but the renewal came by post, not over the phone.

Her reply......, It makes no difference - we have to work out the renewal price using our staff - when you do it via the web you are saving us labour.

I gave up and placed my business elsewhere at £40 less.

But they don't seem to care that they loose customers.

Must be enough mugs paying the higher price

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Thing is, these days loads of Insurance companies are part of the same group so chances are that the same Group will be getting income from us even when we shop around.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

The practice is "to maintain or increase their Margins", ie. % profit per customer.
Really a job of balancing between retained, new & lost customers.
Basic Harvard economics, the so called Mugs, assisting the margin maintenance, whereby prices increase; as long as the customer base is also maintained.
Towards the end of a slack month, you could get lucky......

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thing is, these days loads of Insurance companies are part of the same group so chances are that the same Group will be getting income from us even when we shop around.

The practice is "to maintain or increase their Margins", ie. % profit per customer.
Really a job of balancing between retained, new & lost customers.
Basic Harvard economics, the so called Mugs, assisting the margin maintenance, whereby prices increase; as long as the customer base is also maintained.
Towards the end of a slack month, you could get lucky......

:wts: :Agoodpost: X 2

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal