i30 Owners Club

New laws to give motorcyclists approval to move past stalled, slow cars

Guest · 86 · 16393

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Having followed these postings with great interest I agree that 30 kms speed is too fast when filtering through traffic at a stand still or moving slowly, 15 kms would be more sensible allowing a motorcyclist the chance to stop if necessary , my main concern was the attitude of some "I can't get up the front so neither will you". There will always be controversy over the new rules but like it or not this is going to be the new law and if everybody is sensible it will work. Motorbikes are more vulnerable than cars for sure and it is up to car drivers to do the right thing and be more aware. There will always be the hotheads that give motorcyclist a bad name as there is car drivers but I like to think that once the testosterone has eased off a bit and we all settle into a calmer state of life we accept responsibility and are more tolerant of each other, it sure makes life a lot easier. :neutral:

While I agree with most of what you said, John...I do disagree over the speed limit.
30kph is the maximum, anyone can always travel slower if they need to.
Travel too slowly and riders will start to wobble around raising the possibility of clipping other vehicles...
That's my opinion anyhow....  :)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Having followed these postings with great interest I agree that 30 kms speed is too fast when filtering through traffic at a stand still or moving slowly, 15 kms would be more sensible allowing a motorcyclist the chance to stop if necessary , my main concern was the attitude of some "I can't get up the front so neither will you". There will always be controversy over the new rules but like it or not this is going to be the new law and if everybody is sensible it will work. Motorbikes are more vulnerable than cars for sure and it is up to car drivers to do the right thing and be more aware. There will always be the hotheads that give motorcyclist a bad name as there is car drivers but I like to think that once the testosterone has eased off a bit and we all settle into a calmer state of life we accept responsibility and are more tolerant of each other, it sure makes life a lot easier. :neutral:

While I agree with most of what you said, John...I do disagree over the speed limit.
30kph is the maximum, anyone can always travel slower if they need to.
Travel too slowly and riders will start to wobble around raising the possibility of clipping other vehicles...
That's my opinion anyhow....  :)

Fair comment Rusty.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Geez. If they can't handle 15 kph with stability, they shouldn't have a licence.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yeah, but not everyone is as legendary at riding as you, Trev...   :lol:

Besides being less stable at low speeds, having a low maximum speed will mean a rider will be inclined to watch the speedo and not pay quite as much attention to looking for trouble ahead....

And for those thinking 30kph is too fast, how fast do you pass parked cars because that's what a lane filtering motorcyclist is basically doing.  :wink:

Regardless of the speed limit set for lane filtering though, I suspect it will be pretty much impossible to enforce.
Probably makes more sense to forget about setting a limit and just nab riders that are obviously lane filtering like a d*ckhead...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Labor plans to let motorcyclists weave through traffic

TENSIONS between motorcyclists and car users could erupt under a Labor plan that would allow motorbike riders to weave through slow-moving or stationary traffic.

The Opposition has pledged to change the law to allow lane filtering - where motorcycle and scooter riders can move between cars that have stopped or are moving slowly, if it wins the November election.

Lane filtering was endorsed in a 2012 report by the State Government’s Road Safety Committee, which recommended more research be done “with the aim of introducing filtering in Victoria”.

The committee assessed data from the Victorian Cor­oners Court and police crash reports which found that filtering was a factor in just three fatal motorcycle crashes in Victoria from January 2000 to February 2011.

While the committee also heard evidence that filtering could have safety and congestion benefits, the State Government rejected the recommendation.

The Opposition says its policy to allow lane filtering will help reduce traffic gridlock on Melbourne roads and would protect riders from same direction collisions, which is the main cause of riders ending up in hospital in Melbourne.

Labor’s spokesman for roads, road safety and the TAC Luke Donnellan said the Government had been “slow to act” on the recommendations.
“Lane filtering is a commonsense approach and that’s why Labor will move to implement this change, that will increase safety for all road users,” Mr Donnellan said.
“This policy is supported by motorists and road safety ­experts - it just makes sense.”

Labor’s plan follows interstate moves to allow the controversial manoeuvre.
From July, motorcyclists in NSW will be allowed to ride between cars at low speeds and the Queensland Government is looking at ways to safely introduce lane filtering.

Although there is no specific law preventing filtering in Victoria, riders can be penalised for not leaving a safe distance while overtaking, moving out of a marked lane or overtaking to the left of a ­vehicle, which can attract a fine of more than $500.

Principal lawyer from Maur­ice Blackburn John Voyage backed Labor’s plan and said the law was “legally ­ambiguous” in Victoria.
“As a safety issue, it’s a winner and as an anti-congestion issue, it’s a winner,” he said.
“We had a superb committee report and the government has shelved the committee’s recommendation.”

Damien Codognotto from the Independent Riders’ Group also welcomed the policy and said lane filtering was the “safest way to negotiate heavy traffic.”

Spokeswoman for Transport Minister Terry Mulder, Larissa Garvin, said: “The Victorian Government did not accept the recommendation on lane filtering, primarily due to the difficulty of enforcing the rule”.

She said the government was aware of interstate trials and would be “watching the implementation and outcomes” before making any decision on potential changes in Victoria.

Source: Labor plans to let motorcyclists weave through traffic | News.com.au

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeah, but not everyone is as legendary at riding as you, Trev...   :lol:
That statement offers nothing positive to this discussion.
Besides being less stable at low speeds, having a low maximum speed will mean a rider will be inclined to watch the speedo and not pay quite as much attention to looking for trouble ahead....
So, if we leave it at 30, that means they'll be riding twice as fast whilst looking at the speedo ...  :scared:
And for those thinking 30kph is too fast, how fast do you pass parked cars because that's what a lane filtering motorcyclist is basically doing.  :wink:
Parked cars are required to check for any potential dangers AND indicate before moving out. Plus they're likely to have brake lights on as they prepare to move. I con't believe this is a fair comparison.
Regardless of the speed limit set for lane filtering though, I suspect it will be pretty much impossible to enforce. Quite right but I suspect most riders would see it as a guideline and act accordingly. The issue is more one of what drivers have to expect when bikes are approaching through the mass of traffic behind them.
Probably makes more sense to forget about setting a limit and just nab riders that are obviously lane filtering like a d*ckhead... Agreed. There are several existing laws which could apply.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That statement offers nothing positive to this discussion.

And your comment did?? 
It's not rocket science, Trev....the slower a motorcycle goes, the less gyroscopic forces there are helping to keep the bike stable.

So, if we leave it at 30, that means they'll be riding twice as fast whilst looking at the speedo ...  :scared:

Or perhaps riders will travel below 30 and not have to concentrate on the speedo.

Parked cars are required to check for any potential dangers AND indicate before moving out. Plus they're likely to have brake lights on as they prepare to move. I con't believe this is a fair comparison.

And cars "parked" in traffic are somehow not required to check for potential dangers and indicate before changing lanes etc??? The same rules apply, drivers must only change lanes when it is safe to do so....

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^
As usual, you HAVE to have the last say. How come everyone else can contribute in a positive manner?
I'm out.
Go for your life.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
 :rolleyes:

Trevor, it would appear it's perfectly ok to pick anything I say to pieces but another matter entirely if anyone dares to do the same to you...  :head_butt:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:43:55 by rustynutz »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Getting back on topic, what an inflammatory headline the Herald Sun used in that news article.....  :rolleyes:
Not really surprising though as they are well known to be anti motorcycle.

There's nothing like trying to escalate tensions between car and motorcyclists even more than they are now for the sake of a headline...  :fum:

Motorcyclists already lane filter so basically not a lot will change even if these proposed road law changes are eventually bought in.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Motorcycle filtering laws: Victorian Government rejects proposal to allow riders to weave through stationary traffic -

But it found filtering was a factor in three motorbike fatalities between 2000 and 2011.

State Transport Minister Terry Mulder said he could not endorse something that had led to deaths on the roads.

"Given the fact it's proven to have killed people in the past, I'm not sure how many seriously injured, I couldn't on the back of that recommend that practice," Mr Mulder said.

The Victorian Transport Minister is a moron.....a total of 3 motorcyclists killed over 11 years, how many does he think have been killed in other road accidents such as rear end shunts?  :rolleyes:

Talk about having his head up his own backside, lane filtering has been shown to be safer yet he chooses to ignore what his fellow parliamentarians in other states have now realised and are in the process of introducing.

This bloke is so far out of touch when it comes to motorcycling it's not funny....

It's also interesting that the Media has been making a big song and dance over the possible introduction showing footage of high speed lane splitting instead of showing the general public what filtering actually is.
Headlines saying motorcyclists will be swerving through traffic is just uneducated garbage meant to try to turn the public against the practice of lane filtering.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I've been riding bikes on and off for the last 44yrs and still do, I've never heard anyone being killed through lane filtering, not saying it hasn't happened, but if executed correctly its a safe way of making progress in heavy traffic and no hardship to other road users  but it does p*&s some drivers off who are stuck in traffic queues. If you do a advanced motorcycle riding course they encourage to do so.

I've only had one close shave when i was in almost standing traffic on the motorway going over Barton Bridge i was filtering between the 1st and 2nd lane and doing about 5 to 10mph approached this 4x4 in the 1st lane and as i  got along side him i could see he was looking in his drivers door mirror and he decided to close the gap and that is when i came into contact with his door mirror, it didnt break off just knocked it back and there he was blasting his horn so i stopped and walked back to him and the best thing he did was to lock his doors coz i would of  ripped his head off if they were open.
I use the bike mainly to get to and from work and not to be sitting in traffic, it can take up to 3 times longer if i use the car in rush hour traffic.
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I've been riding bikes on and off for the last 44yrs and still do, I've never heard anyone being killed through lane filtering, not saying it hasn't happened, but if executed correctly its a safe way of making progress in heavy traffic and no hardship to other road users  but it does p*&s some drivers off who are stuck in traffic queues. If you do a advanced motorcycle riding course they encourage to do so.

I've only had one close shave when i was in almost standing traffic on the motorway going over Barton Bridge i was filtering between the 1st and 2nd lane and doing about 5 to 10mph approached this 4x4 in the 1st lane and as i  got along side him i could see he was looking in his drivers door mirror and he decided to close the gap and that is when i came into contact with his door mirror, it didnt break off just knocked it back and there he was blasting his horn so i stopped and walked back to him and the best thing he did was to lock his doors coz i would of  ripped his head off if they were open.
I use the bike mainly to get to and from work and not to be sitting in traffic, it can take up to 3 times longer if i use the car in rush hour traffic.

There's an old adage "two wrongs don't make a right".

And if the incident had been seen by a traffic cop who do you think would have received a ticket?    Getting off your bike to remonstrate could indicate "road rage"  to some  and, to others, that you may not have  been  in full command of  the situation  as you had anticipated what could happen. A  traffic penalty is bad enough but a criminal charge for assault is not a good idea.
Take a deep breath and make allowances for these occasional tossers.

On the general principle of lane splitting I have ridden two wheels even longer than you and we should be above ranting about the driving of others.  Living next to a motorway and travelling into London regularly  the  antics of some riders in rush hour traffic  is beyond belief.  I have seen them riding at 50mph through lanes of traffic barely moving when there is every likelihood of a motorist changing lanes to gain some anticipated advantage. It's no good saying car drivers should be aware of what is behind but in slow moving traffic attention is far more likely to be concentrated on what is going on ahead. The "Be biker aware" posters do make me smile as "bikers - be aware" is just as appropriate...IMO.

Happy biking.   :wink:

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Baradeur, I totally agree with you, but when someone blatantly tries to close the gap and which could lead me to injury well i'm afraid the red mist comes over, and as far as not being in full command of the situation I read the road ahead and the gap was clear to make the manoeuver safely, if I wasn't already along side his back wheel it would of been different and it wouldn't of bothered me ,I would just sit and wait for a safe gap.

I've been down to London loads of times and I know what you mean about the standard of some riders mostly couriers riders but also cyclists seem to have a death wish also I think some of them are more dangerous than bikers :Shocked:
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just a heads up for those living in Australia.....

As of the beginning of this month Queensland introduced their own version of lane filtering...naturally with slightly different rules to NSW...  :lol:  :head_butt:

A 2 year trial (also with, yet again slightly different rules) has also commenced in the Australian Capital Territory....so we now have 3 States in Oz where it is specifically legal to lane filter....  :goodjob2:

So, to all members, (whether you agree with the practice or not) please, please be on the lookout.....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
If it's legal in Canberra where Tony Abbott is in charge, I think it's a great idea.
But if it's made legal in Queensland where they have a new Labor government, it's a stupid idea.
Unless, of course, it was introduced by the outgoing Liberal government in which case it's a fantastic idea.
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Welcome back, Rusty.   ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks Dave....and yes it's a fantastic idea, introduced by your old mates before they got the flick...  :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
It's been allowed here in the Netherlands for like forever. There are restrictions, you can only drive between lane 1 and 2 or 2 and 3, and speed should be no more than 20kph. As soon as the traffic starts rolling again you should move back into the lane.

Interesting fact..... if a motorist opens his door and you hit it, he's to blame (he should have looked).

The only problems here are German and Belgian (and ONLY them) tourists who generally cut you up if they see you coming, but a hefty boot and a tweak of of the gas usually solves that.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I woulda thought this was plain old common sense Rusty.... happens all the time here as Lester says  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
It's been allowed here in the Netherlands for like forever. There are restrictions, you can only drive between lane 1 and 2 or 2 and 3, and speed should be no more than 20kph. As soon as the traffic starts rolling again you should move back into the lane.

Here in the UK lane filtering on motorways is always between the outer two lines and usually so on other three lane roads. 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I woulda thought this was plain old common sense Rusty.... happens all the time here as Lester says  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
Welcome back..
Where have you been?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome back..
Where have you been?

And where is your note!  :TutTut:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You guys talking to me or asa?  :undecided:

Asa, he has made only one post this month!  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal