i30 Owners Club

Caught on camera: The moment when a car hits cyclist from behind

Guest · 60 · 8110

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's still stupid behaviour on the part of the cyclist.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I can't see how those disembarking passengers had a chance of spotting her.

They've no mirrors and wouldn't expect a 'vehicle' to be undertaking at that speed between the pavement and their car.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Quite right, Steve.
Incidentally, we're in the throes of introducing a law which requires drivers to maintain at least a one meter gap from cyclists, and more at higher speeds.
I'm in favour of it, but surely it should apply in reverse.
No way was this woman more than a meter from the car if she hit the door.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It's not a no no here, Lester....as is mentioned in the story.  :wink:

I should have said no no for me. It happens here also.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

I still reckon all drivers need to spend 3 months riding a motorcycle or even a bicycle in traffic before they are allowed a car licence, maybe then they'd have a bit more empathy for our 2 wheeled road users....  :)

I've been saying this for about forty years about car drivers, motorcyclist and police in regards to heavy vehicles,they don't even have to drive them just sit in a passenger seat for a fortnight and see what we have to deal with,everyone needs to slow down,be more aware of their surroundings and stay the F*#% off their mobile phones.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
While the girl was probably pushing her luck a bit by passing where she did, it was still legal. It is up to passengers to make sure the road is clear before opening doors.

While it's not a dedicated bike lane, the white line is supposedly to encourage car drivers to keep right, allowing bicycles to safely pass.

141 No overtaking etc. to the left of a vehicle
(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless—
(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle; or
(b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or
(c) the vehicle is stationary and it is safe to overtake to the left of the vehicle.
Penalty: 5 penalty units.

269 Opening doors and getting out of a vehicle etc.
(3) A person must not cause a hazard to any person or vehicle by opening a door of a vehicle, leaving a door of a vehicle open, or getting off, or out of, a vehicle.
Penalty: 10 penalty units.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
The woman and the cab,your just trying to get a rise out of me aren't you rusty,there was mention of the cab sitting at the lights,I've replayed this video over and over as well,for the life of me I couldn't see any lights,not within 100 metres anyhow(maybe I'm blind)if in fact the passengers had reached their destination,if I were the taxi driver I personally would have pulled right into the gutter,so no cyclists could have got up the inside of the car.

If in fact the three dudes just decided to fix the driver for their fare and get out and walk as they thought it would be faster,yes they should have looked a lot more carefully before opening the door as the taxi was still in the flow of traffic,I'm assuming the white line out from the gutter is a bike lane.

• 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Rick, I think you'll find there were cars in front of the taxi that were stopped at the lights....  :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

141 No overtaking etc. to the left of a vehicle
(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless—
(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle; or
(b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or
(c) the vehicle is stationary and it is safe to overtake to the left of the vehicle.
Penalty: 5 penalty units.

Getting off topic here,just a note on the first one,it has become and increasing trend over here at least,motor cyclists,passing on the inside of lines of traffic on dual roads,after seeing the second video,dangerous practice

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Is it OK in Australia to overtake vehicles on the inside?

I recall a case in the UK some time back when a car pulled into the kerb to let a passenger out who opened her door and a cyclist speeding along the footpath ran into her.

The cyclist was fined and had to pay damages to the passenger.

However - there was not a cycling lane in that incident.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Quote from: Aussie Keith

Actually, motorised vehicles when they are on the road are a hazard to everything else on the road. With the exception of the freeways which have their own regulation, a shared carriageway is supposed to be just that. All users need to pay attention and be courteous to each other and abide by the rules.

Certainly don't disagree with the overall statement being made there, my experiences however, as both a cyclist and a motorised vehicle operator are that cyclists should not be anywhere near a road except to cross it to get to the other side, on foot.

Quote from: AlanHo
Is it OK in Australia to overtake vehicles on the inside?

Depends entirely on the situation and the state law. If a vehicle is turning left/right, then absolutely not.

IIRC, it is perfect fine to undertake traffic on a freeway/motorway in QLD, same for when you're driving on roads with 2+ lanes (both of which are travelling in the same direction).
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Depends entirely on the situation and the state law. If a vehicle is turning left/right, then absolutely not.

Just need to correct this, if a vehicle is turning left, then absolutely not, otherwise it is perfectly legal to undertake on the inside of a vehicle turning right. (see rule 141(b) above)

IIRC, it is perfect fine to undertake traffic on a freeway/motorway in QLD, same for when you're driving on roads with 2+ lanes (both of which are travelling in the same direction).

Cyclists are also able to undertake on the left on single lanes....

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
There is literally a bees you know what between the cab and the gutter, you would have to go back to the speech when the law was introduced to see what the intention was behind the laws, but I doubt they were introduced to encourage reckless riding on behalf of cyclists and was intended for normal sets of lights or where there was sufficient room (looking at the footage, old mate would have been lucky not to take out the mirror or scrape the car).

The poor bloke opening the rear door of the car has no chance to see the cyclist, he doesn't have a mirror and would have to turn 180 degrees to see old mate. They would need to take care beyond that that is reasonably possible in the circumstances to avoid the cyclist and I think a Magistrate would agree.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
So I guess the solution is the taxi mounting the curb to ensure irresponsible bike riders simply can't get past on the left?

That was a stupid place to be passing a vehicle on the left there simply wasn't enough room, before you take into account in the CBD of Melbourne there is a chance that a passenger could decide to get out and walk.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Quite right, Steve.
Incidentally, we're in the throes of introducing a law which requires drivers to maintain at least a one meter gap from cyclists, and more at higher speeds.
I'm in favour of it, but surely it should apply in reverse.
No way was this woman more than a meter from the car if she hit the door.

Can you ride a bike in reverse?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
This further adds weight to my argument....

The City of Melbourne said there was no dedicated bike lane on the part of Collins St where the crash occurred, only line marking to encourage drivers to stay to the right of cyclists

how can a stationary car stay right?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Beerman, whether it's a full blown bicycle lane or no lane at all, the passengers are still obliged to make sure all's clear before opening the doors.

Stay right of the lane BEFORE becoming stationary, it's not rocket science...  :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Do you find more cyclists are riding on the pavement rather than the road due to volume of traffic?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Beerman, whether it's a full blown bicycle lane or no lane at all, the passengers are still obliged to make sure all's clear before opening the doors.

Stay right of the lane BEFORE becoming stationary, it's not rocket science...  :lol:

By that argument, the Taxi had pulled over..... because it had moved to the left....:cool:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
This discussion really is pointless, the cyclist was legally passing on the left, the passenger opened the door without first checking it was safe to open.
The passenger is in the wrong, end of story...  :)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Worth checking out the following link as it shows a fair bit more of the "doored" cyclists video....  :)

Man comes forward to police over CBD car-dooring

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes was also reported Car Dooring Laws WOULD NOT be introduced anywhere else in Australia,they did have the cyclist on as well and as she said she could have been more careful,they were also showing more scenes from today same area,anyone that rides a bike there is a Moron,it's just a Death waiting to happen.
While I was watching the report as they were filming today,in that little bike lane there where at least four cyclists I could see trying to pass each other between the gutter and the cars,it just looked like bedlam.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yes was also reported Car Dooring Laws WOULD NOT be introduced anywhere else in Australia

What law is that, Rick?

It's already an offence to open your door when it is unsafe to do so in all States, I believe..... :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If that skinny little lane is meant to be a bike lane that is crazy.  :fum: I would be very worried about bikes scratching my car or worse still knocking someone off their bike.

I wouldn't have expected a bike to appear on that side (I will have to be really careful in Melbourne next month!)

It was an unfortunate occurrence, but if that was breaking the law! :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Here  bike lanes have a symbol of a bike etched on the ground within the lines.

No symbol no bike lane!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I would be very worried about bikes scratching my car or worse still knocking someone off their bike.

Good incentive to keep well clear and over to the right of the lane when driving up that street....  :whistler:

I wouldn't have expected a bike to appear on that side (I will have to be really careful in Melbourne next month!)

Not just in Melbourne, Daz...The same rule also applies in Tassie....  :winker:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:41:47 by eye30 »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal