i30Dave · 370 · 88329

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Adelaide, South Australia - Steel Grey SR i30
    • http://www.i30ownersclub.com
Quote from: "eye30"
From reading postings on this and H F there seems to be a wide variation in fuel consumption.  

Can you post your best and worst over the next few weeks and against each the type of driving i.e. town, motorway leisure, mixed etc

If enough enter details I'll collate and do a summary posting at the end of May.

This way we'll see if figures given by Hyundai are achievable.

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Quote from: "Ouri30"
Based on Consumption between Refuelling

Worst 5.3l/100k
This included around 800km with a combination of highway, hilly terain, city and general sight-seeing.  The average speed for was 69kph

Best 4.6l/100k
This included around 600km of primarily open road with minimal driving in built-up areas, maintaining speed between 85kph and 100kph with smooth acceleration and decceleration.  The average speed was 78kph.

Bob

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Quote from: "Thumper"
Best 3.8lt/100km (Over 500km traveled)

Worst 4.5lt/100km (Over 500km traveled)

Only 2,000km on the clock, hoping it will get better when the motor frees up a bit.

(Diesel Manual highway travel only)

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Quote from: "ozsnowman"
first tank 5.41
2nd tank 5.36
3rd tank 4.5 :)  (wasnt a full tank, topped up from 2/3 full)

About 2300km done now

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Quote from: "Lakes"
You boy's have to play fare! you are all useing a PC and just quoting what it tell's you, would you like me to give you the amount of fuel you have quoted then take you 60 mile or 100K from anywhere and see how u go? :D  ( what else) i used my Cruise Control wisely and used the great TQ from this motor. before i left i filled the tank to the very top all foam was gone and the level was to the brim. on my return did the same on the same bowser just spilt some getting it full. got 45 Lt's in with gauge reading 1/4 so they must hold more than 52L but see that b4 on other cars. so i think i got 4.4L/ per 100K and with a trip PC could probably have got better, but thats just guessing. still will have a go at 1,200 to a tank full and that will be the best i've ever gone. i once drove to QLD on one tank with a GT Falcon Phrase one windsor 351 4 speed, but that had a 36 gallion ( multiply that by 4.54 ) and was going over 160kph most of the way.
 whats the furthest anyone here has gone on one tank full?

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

With my own 4.09/100k (69mpg) this was calculated by filling to top (diesel right to the brim) them refilling to the same point.

The PC said, I think 57 mpg. so I'm not to keen on taking that as read.

Since my trip the PC has been showing 55.3 or.4 or.5 or.6 etc. I've only done town driving since my trip which previously the best I was getting was 48 to 54 MPG.

I'll reset when I next fill up to the brim and see what I calculate and compare to PC.

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Eye, that's what i mean, the trip pc takes time to calculate, also if you were driving in ideal conditions and getting your best mileage, then you changed to stop start driving the trip PC average would be out also the distance to empty would be wrong. but if you understand that you are ok. i went from driving in country averaging 9.8 L/per 100k with my V8 then started driving in the city was useing the distance to empty to the max, it said i had 20k left and i was on m2 motorway with no service stations at all. ran out of fuel :D  was about 11pm on a monday night. lucky i had a push bike in the back of the ute, i road up and down hills for about 12 k's to home and got a container got fuel road back to ute. you live and you learn.
cheers

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well i just filled up tonight as i'm going away down the south coast to stay with my friends  for the weekend at beautiful Mystery Bay.
on filling up i work out i have averaged 5.2l/per 100k in sydney peak traffic this week, the motor has 2,200k up so i'm very happy. :D

Offline dannytucker

• 2nd Gear
Hey guys very curious what fuel consumption the automatic is getting over the manual

Mine being manual so far down to 4.4 per 100 whats the autos doin

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
With All the cold weather here in Tasmania at the moment (Frosty nights - glorious but still crisp days) from say 1 overnight to between 12 and 15 during the day getting my worst ever economy (5.5 ltrs/100km combined city and highway cycle) but my friend who has a Mazda CX7 says I shouldn't really complain!

My usual range is from 5.1 to 5.4 (can't seem to crack that 5.0 or less for any distance and up until now 5.4 was my worst no matter where or how I drove) Roll on summer (not really going to warm up much down here until September/October.

Rgds,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
I still haven't reset the trip meter since I took the car from the dealership in early April as I want to see what the long term effect of all the various driving conditions I encounter will eventually average out to be.

Started out around 5.8L/100km from the dealership and dropped fairly quickly to 5.5L/100km after the first 1000km or so. Then began to drop less quickly to 5.4, then to 5.3 ..................... seemed to sit on 5.2 for ages and ages.

However today, with a little under 4000km on the odometer, it dropped to 5.1 for the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

And while this may not sound very low I've got to remember that this average has been achieved on a downward trend. In other words, I'm probably getting under 5.0 now to average out the earlier high-5 figures. So I am looking forward to it dropping even further although I think any further downward changes will probably take a long time to achieve.

I do plan to reset the reading eventually but that will probably be after the car goes in for an intermediate service at 7500km.

P.S. I've done all sorts of driving .....city driving, climbed some hilly terrain,etc,...... but I would say the majority of the driving has been on good, open roads. And in sunnnnyyyyy Queensland I guess the wamer temp might play a part. ( Sorry Dazz )
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi S-M,

You're right M8! (It's not all bad because I bought the wife her Tiida with $1000 free fuel around the same time as the i30 I've been sharing her BPcard -  between us we've travelled 8000km in around 10 weeks and used half of the $1000 already!) Hopefully by the time the card runs out the weather will be warming a little!

The new site's good isn't it.

Catch ya later

Dazz

ouri30
Seoul-mate,

That is really starting to take shape.  Looks interesting and gives a real indication of what can be achieved.  Lately I am getting consistenly around the 4.6 - 4.8 over a tank, so you are proably getting close to that at the lowere end of the scale.  I do most of my driving on flat country roads.  I am finding that I can get better results in the middle of the day when it is warmer than I can first thing in the morning on the way to warm at 7:30am.  

I assume you saw my little experiment with the trip meter and DTE (Distance to Empty), where I averaged 4.6 for the tank and got in excess of 1200k comfortably on a tank.  It has been good to get the info from various owners, such as yourself as we conduct our own little experiments in our own way.  

We are off to Qld tomorrow morning, loaded up with 2 + 2 and luggage, through the back of NSW to Toowoomba.  Will return in about a week and should do in excess of 4000km round trip. My intention is to leave the trip computer alone and see what we can achieve.  Will be travelling at speed limits for most of that time.  When we return the car will be almost due for its 15000km service.  Let you all know the fuel consumption results.

Bob

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yeah Dazz, this new site is really good. Actually, my wife also got a new car when I got mine...a 2008 Holden Barina 1.6L petrol, but no free fuel with that one!! Gives about 6L/100km and she is very happy with it. ( Of course it is also a Korean car .......a re-badged Daewoo Kalos).

Yes, "ouri30", I followed your experiment with interest. And I'll be interested to hear your fuel figures on the trip to Toowoomba. (Sorry about your Father-in-law)
It would also be interesting to hear what you pay per litre as you travel further north.

Toowoomba is probably going to be quite cool this time of year. We stayed there a few weeks back in a great B&B.....nice place to visit.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "ouri30"
Seoul-mate,

That is really starting to take shape.  Looks interesting and gives a real indication of what can be achieved.  Lately I am getting consistenly around the 4.6 - 4.8 over a tank, so you are proably getting close to that at the lowere end of the scale.  I do most of my driving on flat country roads.  I am finding that I can get better results in the middle of the day when it is warmer than I can first thing in the morning on the way to warm at 7:30am.  

ouri30, this is what I have mentioned here, I am finding that the i30 does not like cold weather running.

I've tested blocking off air to the front of the intercooler during cold weather. I've found that the i30 responds favorably to warmer air going into the engine.

I have fitted temperature probes to the bottom of the intercooler, the top of the intercooler and one just in front of the intercooler. I am measuring pre/post intercooler temp and ambient temp.

Now, what I am finding is, the intercooler in the turbo diesel i30 is VERY efficient. On a drive from Bega NSW up the Brown mountain to Cooma NSW, ambient temp in Bega, 14 degrees C. Light running, inlet temp to intercooler ranges from 20-35 degrees C. Outlet temp around 15 degrees C.

Now, going up the Brown mountain. A very long and steep hill. 3rd gear all the way, light to 1/4 throttle, 4 people and luggage, ambient dropped down to 6 degrees C at the top. Inlet temp to the intercooler was 70 degrees C.

Now the surprise, outlet temp of the intercooler at the top of the hill was 10 degrees C.

Ok, it was getting late in the evening, ambient temp was dropping. At Cooma, ambient was -2, inlet into intercooler was 12 degrees C, outlet was -4 degrees C. This was driving on the open flat road, very light throttle input.

This was interesting since it's lower than ambient temp. Only guess was the high humidity in the air causing the temp of the intercooler to drop lower than ambient due to 'wind chill factor' at 100km/h.

My economy was 5.1lt/100km

I pulled over, fitted the custom made screen to the front of the intercooler, idled for a little, watching temps of the intercooler to warm up, then reset the average lt/100km, off I went again.

Ambient air now -4 degrees C, inlet into intercooler 13 degrees C, outlet, 12 degrees C. Economy after 100km, 4.2lt/100km

I have sent an email to Hyundai Australia about this, awaiting a response.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi S-M,

Glad you are enjoying the site (The warmness between members from far afield is very gratifying)

Thumper, do you think blocking off the air intake to the intercooler could effect the warranty?  I would love to improve my economy to be closer to that of Bob and others...

Could the viscosity of the oil also make some difference (cooler temperatures oil running thicker...?)

Very interesting info thanks...

Dazz

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Thumper, do you think blocking off the air intake to the intercooler could effect the warranty?  I would love to improve my economy to be closer to that of Bob and others...

Could the viscosity of the oil also make some difference (cooler temperatures oil running thicker...?)

Very interesting info thanks...

Dazz

I've thought about this carefully. (I don't want to cause any warranty issues with a brand new vehicle) My thoughts go along the lines of, if the i30 can drive during Summer weather, 40+ degrees C, then the intercooler would bring down the hot air from the turbo to ambient temp. Thus, watching outlet temps from the intercooler, I am making sure the outlet temp will never go above normal ambient that the i30 would encounter during the middle of summer.

If I notice outlet temps rising above 40 degrees C, I will immediately stop and remove the intercooler cover. So far I haven't seen temps rise above 15 degrees C from the intercooler.

If I forget, and temps rise, causing any damage, then I'll take full responsibility.

When I owned a 2005 Nissan Patrol Turbo Diesel (ZD30 4cyl 3lt) I was driving way out West of Ivanhoe when I ran into a swarm of locusts. , didn't notice anything was wrong until the water temp started to rise above normal, then a slight shudder as thick black smoke poured out the back. I pulled over, let the engine idle whilst opening the bonnet.

Now the Nissan has an air-air intercooler sitting on top of the engine, with a forward facing air scoop on the bonnet feeding fresh air onto the intercooler. Problem was, all the locusts I drove through had been 'sucked' into the inlet and now piling up on top of the intercooler, blocking it off.

This was during the middle of summer, 45+ degree C day, towing 2.9ton worth of car trailer + vehicle.

Cleaned all the dead bugs out of the intercooler, closed the bonnet, off I went again, no problems.

I believe, the i30's intercooler is very efficient, to the point that it is hurting cold weather fuel economy.  :P

As for the oil temp, I'll ask the dealer when it goes in for it's 7,500km service.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Thumper it's all good (one of my favourite sayings)

So the input to the intercooler is those 4 "nostrils" above the radiator at the front of the engine compartment? Had a bit of a look today and assumed thats where the air was getting in...

Any chance of posting an image of the cover you use to block them?

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
dazzling_darryl for want of hijacking another's thread (Sorry dannytucker)  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:oops:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: "i30Dave"

Can you post your best and worst over the next few weeks and against each the type of driving i.e. town, motorway leisure, mixed etc

If enough enter details I'll collate and do a summary posting at the end of May.

Well nearly the end of May so it your last chance to post figures.

I'll wade thro' them and post best and worse by the end of the week.

Not sure if each posting has indicated fuel - petrol or diesel or transmission - manual or auto.

If you can just check what you posted and edit that will be appreciated.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
ok, left work tonight the fuel light came on - stopped at my usual walking spot, when I re-started fuel light didnt come on.

So rather than tempt fate, i hurried along to my usual pump - turned out i didnt need to worry lol

821.6km for 41.02 litres = 5.06 L/100km!! This includes a weekend in Melbourne where I was fanging it round the streets a lot, but offset that with the highway trips down and back!

My usual way of filling - get it to 5 litres from where i think it will be full (worked out by how many km's I've done).....stop pumping and let it settle for 20 or so secs, then trickle fill the rest. When I hear the pipe filling up just before the click off, I stop again and hold off for about 10 seconds, and then trickle fill to the click

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Well here are the results so far:

I've taken them from the i30 Owners and H-F sites.

The best posted was 3.8l/100km (74.43 mpg). This was for a manual.

The worst posted 9.7l/100km (29.12 mpg) but this was mainly town driving.

The average was between 4.6 to 5.7 l/100km. (61.41 to 49.56 mpg).

1 posting for a 2l = 8.03 l/100k (34.3 mpg) town/highway driving and AC on.

The average posted for auto was 6.95 to 7.28 l/100km (40.65 to 38.8 mpg).
Not all posted the driving conditions but would appear to be combination of town/urban with a few “touring K’s”.

One interesting comment was that when the weather was cold, consumption rises and 1 posting had:
Cold weather - 5l/100km (56.5 mpg)
Warm weather - 4.4l /100km (64.2 mpg)

Hyundai give the following for diesel i30’s:
Urban1.6 cdri Manual 5.7 l/100k (49.5 mpg) 1.6 crdi Auto 7.6 l/100k(37.2 mpg) 2 l Manual 7.2 l/100k(39.23 mpg)
Extra Urban1.6 cdri Manual 4.1 l/100k(68.8 mpg) 1.6 crdi Auto 4.9 l/100k(57.6 mpg) 2 l Manual 4.4 l/100k(64.2 mpg)
Combined 1.6 cdri Manual 4.7 l/100km(60.1 mpg) 1.6 crdi Auto 5.9 l/100k(47.9 mpg) 2 l Manual 5.5l/100k(51.36 mpg)

(The 1.6 manual Petrol give approx 1.5 to 2 l/100k (14 mpg) less than 1.6 crdi).

Also, look at (I30dave’s  correction) s/b ouri30 “Trip Computer Record” on             viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38
      and his average is 4.7 l/100k (60.1 mpg).

Overall most people are happy with the consumption returned and a general comment was as they drive further and get to know the cars quirks the consumption gets better.

Don’t forget driving style influences consumption. So if you have a heavy right foot consumption will be high.

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks for this Poll eye30!!!

It has been very popular and recieved many replies.

Perhaps we should continue it with people adding their fuel figures and driving details
as I think there will always be interest in this sort of thing.
( Although I wouldn't expect you to have to collate or summarise the figures as you
have done this time around .)

Anyway thanks again for an interesting topic,
Russ

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah thanks for all your efforts...

Just one observation.. When Dave relocated all the posting from the old site only a small reference shows at the top eg.. for the link you posted it was actually ouri30 (bob) who did all the work with the distance to empty log...

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
eye30 nice wrap up of the economy figures.  :(

Oh well, it's quicker than a SR Petrol i30.  :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Thanks D-D

for the link you posted it was actually ouri30 (bob) who did all the work with the distance to empty log

Got confussed with the transfer of postings.

Correction:
Sorry Bob.

Take a bow and take the credit.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "Thumper"
eye30 nice wrap up of the economy figures.  :(

Oh well, it's quicker than a SR Petrol i30.  :D
cheers
ps love reading about things like this as it has been my interest to tune motors, my friend has an engine dyno, another friend has a rear wheel dyno with load control

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi eye30,

That is one comprehensive list, good work man.
To complicated for me to absorb now just before the footy starts but will enjoy digesting it later

Cheers :mrgreen:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Hey Thumper interesting about the pipe, would it cause the injectors to inject more fuel?

Me putting my foot down more, enjoying the extra torque/power from the motor.  :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal