i30 Owners Club

First Tankful

iThurT · 121 · 29525

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

• CRDi 1.6 Comfort in Shine Red. UK.
Hi Everyone

I've just used up the first tankful for my CRDi 1.6 i30. Mileage was at 598 miles when the DTE changed from "30" to "---" and I drove a further 13 miles before refilling (52.88l or 56 quids worth). Well chuffed! :D
I zeroed the "av mpg" after filling up and was amazed to see a peak of 79.6mpg while tootling through the 30mph zone for the first mile or so!!! Is this a record??? :eek:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... and was amazed to see a peak of 79.6mpg while tootling through the 30mph zone for the first mile or so!!! Is this a record??? :eek:

No :P

I once zeroed the mpg meter while on a run down the M6 on a downhill section. It read well over 120mpg after half a mile, but then again I wasn't using any accelerator :lol:

Anyway, stop cheatin
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

"...It read well over 120mpg..."

Well. There's a challenge if ever there was one. The gloves are off matey! :lol:

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

Got a "98.6" today. Getting closer!

Second tankful lasted 667miles (1073km) before "---" started. Car's a gud'n.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Got a "98.6" today. Getting closer!

Second tankfull lasted 667miles (1073km) before "---" started. Car's a gud'n.

That's a Gr8 result for just your 2nd tank full :-)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

Yes, that's what I thought.

Then again, I have been driving like an old biddy.

I'm becoming obsessed with driving economically, am I ill?

Shambles is "a doctor" perhaps he can help me!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

iThurT.. In my opinion you need to do some spirited driving while running her in or she won't perform at her best...

It's not an illness (most of us on here do it from time to time) but don't forget to enjoy the torque occasionally :-)

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
I found that when I drove ultra-conservatively everywhere that the economy got worse.  I also found that the other end of the spectrum, driving like I stole it, gave worse economy as well.  I get the best economy when I mix it up with both spirited driving and sedate driving.  This is years of empirical evidence speaking because I noticed the same with my previous car (V6 petrol).

Offline ivana

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
on my third tank, sitting on 500 odd km and its probably still 2/3rds full still.

yaaaaaay! i love that its run in now and im getting the mileage out of it now!

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

Yes, a new engine should be given some work. Although I have been occasionally 'letting her rip', perhaps I should be doing it a bit more often.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
I found that when I drove ultra-conservatively everywhere that the economy got worse.  I also found that the other end of the spectrum, driving like I stole it, gave worse economy as well.  I get the best economy when I mix it up with both spirited driving and sedate driving.  

As much as I think this sounds nuts, I actually agree with you.. Molly Coddling it does NOTHING.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
More agreement here too.
I don't believe in "thrashing" engines, but they should perhaps be subjected to a little bit of "pressure," especially when running-in. It does them more good than harm I've found to have to work a bit rather than be molly-coddled(?)
I've just gently expanded the rev-range on my crdi since new, stretching its legs, never caning it, but not consistently driving for economy either and it is freeing up nicely and the economy is starting to improve too.
In my previous life, I've run-in numerous pursuit cars and the dealerships always said that the police cars that worked really hard from day one, were always less troublesome over their life and performed better than the average Joe Citizen's car, but then what it does to the longevity of the engine I'm not sure.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

It's not an illness (most of us on here do it from time to time) but don't forget to enjoy the torque occasionally :-)

Like, every other gear maybe????

I just can't help it !

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Fist off, are we all used to diesel's? or are you talking about petrol motors?
as the too are a lot different to run in.
diesels you put a load on them, get them to pull lower rev's in top gear, this pushes the rings out to wear a sealing.
diesels don't like high rev's.
i ran my motor in below 2,000, and was getting good economy from low k's.
a lot of people that have always had petrol cars and move to there first diesel rev the motor too hard all the time.
diesls won't last as long if you rev them hard all the time. but its good to give them the boot once a week or so just not give them a high rev, i think that variable vane primary stage in the turbo would need to move regularly to stop it carboning up.
mine seemed to perform better after 30,000k it is performing strongly now and still gets good economy, but i think it always got good economy as i never fill up till after i've traveled at least 1,000k that is unless i'm planing to do a realy long tip. i don't like stopping for fuel.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
My fuel economy is almost 4 months the same. I reset it once in a while and it usually stops at 5,6-5,7 lit/100 km.

Hm..what do you guys understand as high rpm? Regarding the fact that 1.6 CRDIs unfortunately don't have 6th gear, you have to drive it at 3,000 rpm (at those rpms it goes 140kph) all the time.. I usually drive on highways (every day 80-100 km) and normal travel speed is as I mentioned around 140 kph. That means you have to drive it between 2,800-3,500 rpm in fifth.. The i30 is great, but it would be really perfect if it just had 6th gear - for longevity of the engine and fuel economy :rolleyes: But okay, it isn't that much of a problem.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
what is the tacko red line on a crdi. :question:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

what is the tacko red line on a crdi. :question:

5500RPM (I think - from memory)

accim .. few of us in Aus would spend much time driving our i30 at more than 120kph (most highway limits over here 100 or 110 Kph..) and lots of speed cameras...

If we drove at 140kph all the time we would want 6th gear even more...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
3,000rpm is starting to get at the point you are reving a diesel too high, i know they feel ok, but they won't last as long. i try to keep mine below 2,500 if i'm on a trip, for short bursts it won't hurt, but over 3,500 is a waist as they don't seem to excellerate hard after about 3,500 as tq falls off. but everyone is free to do as they please :wink: cheers

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yeah I taught so. Well I try to drive around 130 kph (which is the speed limit on the highways) but it's much more "comfortable" (because you fit in) if you drive 140 kph. Even the cops find that speed normal, because the cameras are mostly set to "over 140 or 150 kph". Mostly every one drives with that speed and if you go slower they get frustrated very soon. Well some do drive also 160-200 all the time, but that's their problem. I also like to push it over 180 kph sometimes but really rarely, because I feel bad for the engine. Oh well enough about that..back to fuel economy.

I see quite some of you have managed to drive 1,000 kms+ with one tank.. I still haven't managed to do that, my record was 950 km I think. But considering the fact I drive with speeds around 140 a lot of time, that also sounds like a good accomplishment. Ole for the i30's CRDI  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I see quite some of you have managed to drive 1,000 kms+ with one tank.. I still haven't managed to do that, my record was 950 km I think. But considering the fact I drive with speeds around 140 a lot of time, that also sounds like a good accomplishment. Ole for the i30's CRDI  :wink:

You are probably not taking an extra few minutes to squeeze in an extra 5 litres or more either .. (which I only do sometimes...)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I see quite some of you have managed to drive 1,000 kms+ with one tank.. I still haven't managed to do that, my record was 950 km I think. But considering the fact I drive with speeds around 140 a lot of time, that also sounds like a good accomplishment. Ole for the i30's CRDI  :wink:

You are probably not taking an extra few minutes to squeeze in an extra 5 litres or more either .. (which I only do sometimes...)

Sometimes I used to squeeze in some extra 3-5 litres, but then I stopped doing that, because I heard some people had problems later with filters (they got "flooded" or something like that??) I remember one guy had that problem with Santa Fe. Still, I find approx 920-950 km a good result.

Interesting, I'm just watching this interview on the TV and it's about this guy from Slovenia, that went to Australia in 2002 and has been living there since.. Very interesting things I've heard  :wink: One of the things he mentioned was also, how he admires that when the speed limit is 110, people really drive 110 kph (most of people), or some 120 kph and not like it's here, that people drive 160, 180.. hhh. Don't know exactly which part of Australia he said he was from, but I know he said something about the "golden beach" ? Ok, it's time to go to bed slowly and I keep posting offtopics..sorry  :rolleyes:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Accim, well that is partly true, mostly if you are around City's here there will be fixed speed camera's. state to state the laws change, but generally maxium speed nationaly is 110KPH but in Northern Territory they have a higher maxium speed, but they never used to have a speed limit out of the towns.

That guy would be in Queensland state on the Gold Coast, that's the southern part of Queensland queensland state is about 1,500k to 2,000k long and about 800k to 1,000k wide.

but if you are way out in middle of no where here you don't see anyone and you don't see many police so your on your own, problem is it's a long way between service stations where you buy fuel and if you drive really fast you could run out and depending were you are you might be on your own for days.

cheers

Offline naughtynat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• Naughty but Nice
I have been looking everywhere for this information - what economy will I get at 130-140kms.

I am in Oz, but where I drive I see a cop maybe once a year at most and that is on the sealed roads, which is about half of what I drive on.

I have been looking for this info for ages and very happy I found this!

I also wish that they had a 6sp Manual as this would be perfect.

Interesting to read some comments from people about the diesel. I havent event got mine yet, but not pushing it too hard doesnt sound like much fun!

The Kia Rio I have at the moment is about 4yrs old and has done 115K. Never missed a beat and that has been hammerred from Day 1. Unfortunately the fuel economy at about 140 is around 9.5L/10KMS and if you push it hard it can be above 11L/100KMs. Be interesting to see how the new i30 goes, although I probably will be a little nicer and not do say, 5k RPM for 200km of backroads, when I am running late ;-)!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

At that speed (130-140 Kph) Nat you should still not go over 6 LPH..(especially in flat old WA) It would be pointless to ever rev the diesel to 5000rpm. When in a hurry you will find changing at even 3500rpm will send you rocketing forward..

Offline marvy

• 2nd Gear
Interesting notes from the i30 owners manual -

No special break-in period is needed. By
following a few simple precautions for the
first 1,000 km (600 miles) you may add to
the performance, economy and life of
your vehicle.
• Do not race the engine.
• While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.
• Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
• Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
• Don't let the engine idle longer than 3 minutes at one time.
• Don't tow a trailer during the first 2,000 km (1,200 miles) of operation.

Most interesting is its recommendation to keep RPM between 2 and 4k. This seems to be very different to what other here have been doing. They don't seem to recommend anything different for petrol or diesel engines.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi marvy and welcome to the club  :wink:

Nice little reminder there.. thanks..

Us diesel owners tend to keep between 1500 and 2500 if trying for best economy but perhaps wouldn't have laboured the motor too close to the 1500rpm mark very often when the car was just new...

Offline VatTas

• 2nd Gear

• lt Lithuania
      Lithuania

• i30 1.6 CRDi BlueDrive
OK, seems like appropriate thread to post my "first tank" data:

Poured in 47ltr to the first click when trip computer was showing 50km to empty. Took the readings when there were ~30km to empty.
Results:
Distance traveled: 841km
Average consumption: 5.5ltr
Average speed: 40kph

Conditions: semi-urban, trips <30km, average temp most probably few degrees below 0C.

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
Last week we did the first longer trip with our i30CW.

280km to one direction. About half of it motorway (120km/h limit) and most of the rest 100km/h limited road. Drive through one town. Two persons and the luggage. Speed limits were followed with the normal +5 km/h police tolerance taken into account.

Average consumption on the whole 560km was 4.9 liters per 100km.
Not bad, since there is only 3500km on the meter and the car is still noticeably "stiff".

We btw. tested the accuracy of the speedo with both the GPS navi and some speed display boards on the way. Quite a surprise, as I have been accustome to the fact that speedos generally are always quite optimistic, showing around 5% too much.

Not so with i30, the speedo is accurate within it's physical readability between 50km/h and 120 km/h. That is police patrol car class accuracy!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We btw. tested the accuracy of the speedo with both the GPS navi and some speed display boards on the way. Quite a surprise, as I have been accustome to the fact that speedos generally are always quite optimistic, showing around 5% too much.

Not so with i30, the speedo is accurate within it's physical readability between 50km/h and 120 km/h. That is police patrol car class accuracy!

That is interesting penak (several of us Aussies have done the same thing with Korean made cars...) and the concensus here is between 5 & 8% optomistic depending on who you ask...

Pip

That is interesting penak (several of us Aussies have done the same thing with Korean made cars...) and the concensus here is between 5 & 8% optomistic depending on who you ask...
Agreed. 5% at best. This is an odd observation when you consider we are talking about the same units (kmh). Maybe they fixed it!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal