i30 Owners Club

Finally, It has happened to me!

Offline aussie pete

• 1st Gear
Hi

I just thought I'd share my experience with the economy of the little diesel for anyone else that has the same issue.

When the wee i30 1.6 diesel manual SLX was purchased in Oct 2008, (apart from the i30 being a nice comfortable drive with plenty of torque), one of the key reasons was the sticker claiming 4.7/100. Throughout the duration of ownership so far the trip computer has proved itself to be pretty much accurate with the paper records - well within 0.2l anyway.

When new, regardless of what/ how/ where it was driven it was near on impossible to get it down below 6.0l/100. Generally around 6.5-7.5l/100km.

Several trips back to the dealer and still no joy. The dealer was maintaining that the car was fine and that it must be the driving style etc. They even accompanied us for a drive but they could offer no reasons or hints for improving driving style.

Roll on a year and 20,000km the economy was slightly better but it was still impossible to get below 5.5l/100 and generally around 6.0-6.5l/100. Still pretty good but still nowhere close to what the tin.

At about 29,000km I got my first taste of the 1000+km per tank! Since then have had 5 more. with the average sitting at around 5.4l/100

2 weeks ago I got a 4.9l/100 tank.

The good news this week - with 35,001km showing on the odo this morning - for the first time ever the economy has managed to match and beat the sticker with 4.5l/100. It actually was showing 4.0l/100 on the highway for about 80km's.

I've already driven 300kms on this tankful and the needle hasn't budged off full :D. Here's hoping to around 1250-1300km out this tank.

I suppose the moral is that some i30's must be tighter than others given many people seem to get it straight out of the box. Seems this one needed 35,000 kms to run in.....

Anyway I'm very excited to finally be getting the claimed figure.

Happy motoring.  :cool:

Offline BlueI30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Tks for posting your experiences Pete, very interesting
Our CRDI is only 2 weeks old ( 720km so far) and currently computer is reporting 6.6L/100 .. looking forward to better figures down the track
Cheers
Dave

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's great news Pete..

Mine has been fairly consistent since new (tassie is fairly hilly) and so I am reasonably happy with an average of around 5.5 L/100 for my almost 60,000 kms over a 2 year period...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

StuartB
I have done 15,500ks, average of 6.2L/100k, auto. I reckon that's pretty good.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
for me it's never increased with age of motor, the performance has increased a lot as the motor gets more k's it also feels faster. i was able to get 4.4l/100k ( worked out on paper ) when it was still low k's. i think it's how you drive, where you drive and the load you have. also if it's manuel or auto. when i got 4.4L /100k i drove just over 1,300k on the one tank b4 refilling. others here have gone 1,400k before refilling . it was all country miles. in the city 1,100 on a tank is best i've got all city driving.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Mine has managed between 5-5.4L/100K oer tank ever since I've had it, and i'm not up to 55000km :) Best I ever got was 4.64, but I admit, I do love using the torque a lot :)

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
well.. it all depends on how you drive...

form start i did manage to get 4.6 l / 100km ... i did not have more then 2000 km on it... it all depends on driving condition, wind, hills etc...

after i tuned my i30 with chip i did get even lover figures... before i did get 4.6-4.7 on light driving ... now after chip tuning i do get under the same conditions 3.8 l / 100 km ... tested on the same stretch of road (cca 30 km) and calculated ...

but i regularly get 600-700 km/h with very heavy foot on gas pedal in the city

i know i can get more then 1000 km with a tank, but its no fun :)

Offline ajp3830

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast

• Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi
I live in a fairly hilly area in Qld similar to dazzler in Tas. Presently Im getting 6.5 ltrs /100 .Car is manuel, only has one internal  rear vision mirror (unlike Tas model)  and only has 3000km on clock. My driving is semi rural so I guess its ok at this early stage.
Like a good Red it will take time to mature.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

only has one internal  rear vision mirror (unlike Tas model)  

:rolleyes:  :lol:

Offline aussie pete

• 1st Gear
Well currently at 1080kms on this tank now,
The fuel guage is a bit below a quarter but no light yet
the trip computer has crept up to 4.6l/100
estimate to empty is 167kms to go.

Here's hoping to 1250..... Looks like it will be close though.

Jeeze Andres - just what kind of chip are you using anyway and where can I get one??

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

Jeeze Andres - just what kind of chip are you using anyway and where can I get one??

well.. at my local Hyundai tuning service/shop :D .. called HBT :D (it stands for Hyundai Birt Tuning)

they are tuning Hyundai cars. Petrol conversions from n/a to turbo or compressor is over 15 and growing - this is including Hyundai Tucson (now its ix35), and i think over 20 n/a tuned Hyundai's. I know they get from 1.6 liter engine with 106 HP up to 134 hp after n/a tuning :), and 1.3 liter engine turbo conversion 140 hp, and over 200 NM of torque ...

I'm first diesel they are tuning :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
only has one internal  rear vision mirror

? :question:?

I have one internal rear view and 2 door mirrors

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Eye.. I think the two interior mirrors is a swipe against us two head Tasmanians.. It's an old wives tale (the scar where my second head used to be has almost completely faded now) :mrgreen:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I also have 2 vanity mirrors but trying to shave and drive is another story
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline aussie pete

• 1st Gear
Well I just filled - 1251km for 59l filled to the brim on regular caltex diesel.

Trip computer sitting on 4.6l/100 but paper is more like 4.8l/100. Just goes to show the sticker on the window is pretty right after all.

Still very pleased considering where it had come from when new.

Offline Dogga

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia

• I'm Free..........
Mine started off around 12/100 when I picked it up(new) and has constantly been dropping and now is 6.6/100 in the first 4 weeks. It will be interesting to see what I will get when we go away, getting some nice easy country km's under its belts.
  • 2011 SLX CRDi Sleek Silver

Offline Corky McBottle

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
I tried Caltex Vortex for my last fill-up, after using only Mobil since owning (mostly out of convenience). Went from 4.8L/100km to 4.4 after one trip! (on paper, too; trip meter shows 0.2 better each fill-up) Also noticed gear shifts are much smoother. So I'm giving the Vortex another go this time.
  • 2007 i30 SLX Diesel manual

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mine must be tight. 750k off the first tank (6.3/100) 700 off the second (7/100 but only to the first click of normal diesel the third fill was with vortex diesel so more would have gone in and thus inflated the figure).

My I30 is a 2010 auto CW. I have the easiest of drives. Get on the freeway drive 60km at between 110 and 120 and get off.

I need to get up to 900k to equal the old EL falcon on gas which used to get 400km (with the AC on 90% of the time, it really didn't make a difference) to a 30odd dollar tank of lpg. The fact that diesel is 2.25 times more expensive than lpg makes this necessary. I really like the engine and the car, but would love the economy to pick up a bit. Hopefully I don't need to wait 30,000km for this to happen.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Im interested in trying out different fuels myself.
I'm still on the original tank that was filled by the dealership.  Currently at 5.2 p/100kms and clocked up 590kms and now just under half a tank.
I have no idea what they would've filled it with.

All city/clogged freeway crawling - stop/start so I'm happy with this.

Pip
I tried Caltex Vortex for my last fill-up... noticed gear shifts are much smoother.

Hmmm...  :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I tried Caltex Vortex for my last fill-up... noticed gear shifts are much smoother.

Hmmm...  :rolleyes:

I thought that was a bit weird too Pip but I guess corky is saying the engine is running smoother so less "jerky" when changes gears... :idea:

Offline Corky McBottle

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
What I meant was that before, there was usually a bit of a jerk when shifting into a new gear, whereas now that jerk is barely noticeable or not there at all. I haven't changed my driving style.
  • 2007 i30 SLX Diesel manual

Pip
What I meant was that before, there was usually a bit of a jerk when shifting into a new gear, whereas now that jerk is barely noticeable or not there at all. I haven't changed my driving style.

K, I'll let you off on that one. :lol:

I've used Caltex almost exclusively since new. Recently I've filled with the "premium" or whatever they call it. All I've noticed is that it is easier to fill because it doesn't foam. Drives the same to me.

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

I filled up for the 1st time today since getting the car (the dealership sent me off with a full tank).
I got 860kms with 80kms remaining (projected).  I'm happy with that for a first tank - esp being all city driving.

However I went to a Shell that had Diesel (nothing specified about what type etc, so I'm assuming it's plain ol' Diesel).

When I started the car I reset all the Trip meters and the projected total was 505kms!  I'm sitting on 5.1 l/100 currently and now says 421km remaining and I only travelled 45kms.

So I'm not sure how all this is calculated........

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When I started the car I reset all the Trip meters and the projected total was 505kms!  I'm sitting on 5.1 l/100 currently and now says 421km remaining and I only travelled 45kms.

So I'm not sure how all this is calculated........

Don't worry m8 that is the least accurate part of the meter.. it does learn in time but is always ultra conservative until you get closer to empty...

Do some searches on here to get more info try "distance to empty"

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

^^  Thanks will do a few searches.  Not that I was *overly* worried, I just couldn't believe the difference.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal