i30 Owners Club

First tank

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
Just filled the new SLX Diesel auto for the first time,picked it up on Thursday and filled it to the brim.We did 450km locally and a 445km drive to Albury.

Total km 895.9
Total fuel 55.95l
16.01km/l
6.24l/100km

Seems pretty good for the first tank and hopefully see some improvement on the way home tomorrow.
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Got to be happy with that ... good job  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
not to bad for a new engine.  :razz: Doe's the crdi need to be run in like a petrol motor? I'm curios to know as a 1.000km drive seems a lot for a new motor. IMHO.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

not to bad for a new engine.  :razz: Doe's the crdi need to be run in like a petrol motor? I'm curios to know as a 1.000km drive seems a lot for a new motor. IMHO.

Any normal drive of that length in Oz (unless you are driving across the Nullabor) or from Adelaide to Alice or something is still going to have some variations in revs, speeds and engine loads (so I'm sure it will be fine)  :neutral:

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
There was plenty of variation in the revenue,we are going home over My Hotham so plenty of hills to pull up.
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i thought of that after i posted the question.  :-[    :wink:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Diesels are a bit different, but these day's i don't run motors in, we get new Toyota petrols at work every two years or so and i don't worry that much, and they run fine when we are finished & hget a new one.
with my Diesel i just made sure i got it to work from low revs. & it's still runing fine no oil useage no water useage i can notice. getting a load on motor just expands the rings to get a seating down the bore
i can't see a long run hurting, in fact i think its good as the oil is at runing temps, much better than short trip were motor never gets to ideal runing temps.

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Faster, coz it's a red one!
Howdy,

wife just filled the car up after its first tank. It's an i30 SX CRDi Manual.

684km
48.05L

14.2 km/L
7.02L/100

I imagine the economy is not the best because the wife is still trying to drive it like a petrol car. And I guess that goes some way to explaining the WRX fuel figure of 11L/100. The whole tank was basically city drving too, so that would knock it down a bit.

I am giving it some leeway for being brand new, but from seeing other peoples first tank efforts, I'm placing blame on our driving technique.

Hope we (the royal we) can come to grips with it fairly soon.

Cheers,

GM

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I hope she's not reving it as hard as she would driving a petrol engined car.... :scared:

You should probably be keeping it well under 3000rpm's at this stage of "newness".....

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Faster, coz it's a red one!
I haven't really been in the car much with her yet. But driving a diesel is a lot different to a normal car. I even found myself reving it too high first time I drove it. My gut feeling is she is reving past the torque peak, and letting it rev for no gain.

Short shifting is king!

GM

Pip
Working it between 2-3k seems to be all that's needed to make good progress. Pushing to 4k will give a sense of going somewhere when in a hurry but will be less good for the economy naturally and it's really only satisfying the senses. :wink:

I think you are a brave man to make the swap you did. You are going to have to convince here that the low down grunt is a good feeling (it is for me but I'm an old man :cool:) instead of the more impressive sound from an engine screaming at 5k. :goodjob:

Offline poczynek

• 2nd Gear
Well I got 450kms for my first tank - I have the 2010 1.7 turbo diesel auto CW - is this good, bad or otherwise?? I am pretty much driving all city driving.   

It seems that most everyone else has got better fuel economy!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well I got 450kms for my first tank - I have the 2010 1.7 turbo diesel auto CW - is this good, bad or otherwise?? I am pretty much driving all city driving.   

It seems that most everyone else has got better fuel economy!!

Hi poczynek.. They are actually a 1.6 Diesel and that seems very low .. Even 1st click on the bowser when filling to the fuel light coming on I would have expected closer to 600kms..

Are you sure the tank was full when you started (It has to improve over that result)  :eek:

Offline poczynek

• 2nd Gear
Hi there, yep sorry - 1.6 diesel.  Yeah was my first full tank.  Have filled up today and will see how it goes but was def expecting better fuel economy!  Am I driving it wrong?!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Haven't driven an Auto Diesel but smooth accelleration and gentle braking would be the key to good economy..

I believe the diesel pulls the Auto nearly as well as the manual so no need to drive it hard (just smooooth) :mrgreen:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
not to bad for a new engine.  :razz: Doe's the crdi need to be run in like a petrol motor? I'm curios to know as a 1.000km drive seems a lot for a new motor. IMHO.

I always run-in  new engines.  if they didn't need to be run-in then why does the power output increase with milage?
i was not impressed with the performance of mine when new, but it has gradually got better.
now its what i expected! :goodjob:
my brother in law (who is a motor guru) said his diesel didn't reach its full power potential until 10,000 miles :scared:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well Paul, would depend on tolerances , but these days they finish the bore off a lot better than the old days, also oil's are much improved. but the same old story gets told about runing in a motor.
they make a bit more power & torque after you have done some k's or miles. on my i30 CRDi it felt better after 30,000k. also if you go for long trips after an hour or two you can feel the motor runs better than doing just short stop start. i think this is due to oil reaching optimal temps. i took mine for a 5 hour 400k run this past week and felt like it had more power & Torque than it normally has. i think the diesel likes long runs. economy is always good in mine on a longer run too, also have noticed mine likes or loves 24c temps seems to perform at its best in those temps. when its colder, it performs ok too when its hotter it performs ok, just 22c - 24c i notice an improvement in how it performs.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Driving to Spain early 2011  will be interesting to see how she goes on a long run, (1,300 miles each way)
the only downfall is, i will be 4 up,  taking friends, so wont be able to go my normal pace, will have to go easy as i don't want to scare them lol :faint:
but it will be a good test for fuel consumption.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's a decent drive Paul.  :razz:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Look forward to your feedback Paul.. have a good and safe trip.. :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Driving to Spain early 2011  will be interesting to see how she goes on a long run, (1,300 miles each way)
i don't want to scare them lol :faint:

It is the front seat passenger who will be scared once you land in France driving on the wrong side of the road
:rofl:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :faint: :rofl:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
how long are you going away for Paul? a 2,600 mile round trip sounds like at least a week.  :razz:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
normally go for a month 2i30's,  as you say not worth going for a week lol,
i used to do it in one day, but now i am getting older i take two.
This next trip i have two friends coming too, and her in doors says i must drive slower :scared:

Yes Eye30, When you want to overtake, you pull out a couple of feet, and look at the face of the passenger,
if they scream then something is coming so you pull back in :sweating:
 :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes Eye30, When you want to overtake, you pull out a couple of feet, and look at the face of the passenger,

Excuse my ignorance I should know this as my Brother now lives in France.. Do they sit on the right of the car and drive on the right hand side of the road ?? (that would be tricky  :faint:)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Excuse my ignorance I should know this as my Brother now lives in France.. Do they sit on the right of the car and drive on the right hand side of the road ?? (that would be tricky  :faint:)

UK cars are RHD and drive on the left  -- same as in OZ.

Across the English Channel on the Continent (France, Spain etc) they drive on the right and driver sits on the left i.e. LHD cars.

So a UK RHD car on the Continent, the front passenger is sitting where the driver should be so the RHD driver can't see past the vehicle in front and has to rely on the passenger to say if it is OK or not.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton

So a UK RHD car on the Continent, the front passenger is sitting where the driver should be so the RHD driver can't see past the vehicle in front and has to rely on the passenger to say if it is OK or not.

U got it eye30 just look at the passengers expression... if they sh*t them selves  pull back in QUICK

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

UK cars are RHD and drive on the left  -- same as in OZ.

Across the English Channel on the Continent (France, Spain etc) they drive on the right and driver sits on the left i.e. LHD cars.

Oh.. I see (scary stuff)  :faint:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
1st time i drove in france i was on the right side of the road, but went round the roundabout the wrong way  :scared: :lol:

the garlic cruncher coming towards me was none to pleased. :sweating:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Paul, have a great trip, i've driven on right side of road in USA but was driving left hand drive, could not imagine what it would be like on back roads at night in a right hand drive car.  :scared: :rofl:
in 1972 i drove 1,500mile from sydney to Townsville in Queensland ( next state up ) did that in 36hours on the roads we had then in a V8 Ute with a friend then did the return trip the same two days latter. no 24 hour servo's then & they had the tick gate on the Queensland boarder.
about a Year ago i had four in my i30 CRDi, took them 1,200k round trip, it pulled them easy and some big mountains to cross & some very rough back roads, could notice car sat lower but handling was ok ride was ok. i never saw speeds higher than 120KPH the economy will depend on the speeds you travel at. i averaged 5.2L  100k. did not have to re fill tank, filled up b4 Mascot airport, took the four of us 1,200K got two friends back to Airport a week latter then we went filled up on way home from airport.
will be interesting to hear about your trip.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal