i30 Owners Club

I fit 59lts in today!

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Or so the bowser told me...........

I'd done 1082kms, warning light had been on for a while and the DTE stopped working 2kms before I got to the servo.........

I reset the avg fuel consumption at each fill up, at this fill up it was displaying 5.2l/100km. Doing the maths = 5.45l/100km. I must admit a fair bit of the driving on the tank wasn't exactly 'sparing the ponies' But I'm still not sure about getting a whole 59lts in, I think the pump may have been telling fibs....... Not to mention at 152.9 It cost $90.21!

But so far since I filled up I've been doing pretty well though, filled up in Hornsby, jumped on the F3 (maintaing 110 most of the way barring some traffic build up) and just as I was about to put the car in the garage in Newcastle it went from 4.2 to 4.3. The lowest I saw was 4.1 after the descent into Mooney Mooney, and highest 55.6 (not a typo, fifty five point six) as I left the servo!!!!!!!

This isn't meant to be a gripe or a brag. Just thought I'd put it out there and see what everyone thinks?

Regards

Daniel

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I wonder if you have been fleeced of your cash.

Is the browser faulty?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Well Whitbomb07, as I posted last week, I squeezed in 58lt exactly to the brim and I was wondering about the bowser.... and its accuracy. In fact next time I go there, I will ask the staff about accuracy, testing and calibration and see what they say!!   :goodjob:

I don't have a computerised trip gauge, yet, hence my post about 'Engine Data Readers" and what people find to be the most useful, plus have they seen what is on the market  etc.

I must say I am very disappointed with the response, not a single comment out of 40 + views .. :o  :o  :o yet the forum is full of  discussion of all aspects of fuel, readings, monitoring this and that....... :confused:

What are the + and _ of Scangauge 2... have their been hassles and are the initial "bugs"  now sorted?    :-\

Anyway,  time will tell, I will report back once I have some information from my servo.

Cheers

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Sounds about right, Daniel...I filled up the other day and I managed to squeeze in 59.85 litres...   :-\
Did a bit over 1000k's and drove for roughly 20k's once the DTE stopped working.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
The only way i could think of to check the accuracy of the pump you are filling at would be to take a very accurate glass messuring vane that has been approved and checked & you have some way of proving there is no question about the accuracy of the marks on the glass measuring vane.  then if it is possible get someone to wittness you put the first 1lt from the pump into the measuring vane. but first off, i think you would need to have the glass vane on perfect leavel surface. once you establish if the pump gauge and the vane agree on how much fuel you just put onto the vane, or if they don't agree, you have got some type of proof. with petrol they don't have the amount of fuel and the measuring eqipment, spot on as it comes out bowser, as fuel is stored underground so cool, when it gets into the tank & outside temps expand it. they say it is compressed underground & pump measuring equipment allows for heat expantion. BUT DIESEL does not expand as much as petrol.
Well as i have said my maxium fill has been  average 56L 57L with one test getting to 58L but i drove about 60k to 70k with light on when i got 58L once, but mostly i stop fill up soon after the light comes on, my car being the poverty pack SX no trip computer to go off. but i'm old school only owned two new cars with trip computers ( but i like them ).

about the economy, that is impressive as anyone that has traveled the F3 Sydney to Newcastle knows there are some real heart break hill's on that Motorway, (anyone doubt this i'll send them a one way plane ticket to sydney & personally take them to one of these hill's and put them on a push bike and make sure they ride all the way up the hill! )
 :rofl:
that stretch of motorway would kill economy on most anything as most drive flat out, only slow for speed cameras & cops.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I was rather surprised with the result, to date the most I've got in prior to this fill up was 58.3lts under almost identical circumstances.

After getting that 4.1 at Mooney Mooney, climbing back out the other side it was back up to 4.5! It wasn't until descending down near Ourimbah where the 110 speed camera is that it got back down to 4.2, for a very brief period coasting into one of the roundabouts on the Newcastle link road it dropped back to 4.1, but as soon as I was off the F3 I wasn't sparing any ponies to get back up to the limit for that 15km stretch to home! It only went upto 4.3 as I reversed the car into the garage!

Since then a few short trips around Newcastle have seen it climb to the published 4.7, but that will no doubt increase........

As for the F3 I don't even bother with speeding, I watch people go flying along and nothing ever happens, but I know as soon as I put my foot down there'll be something waiting for me!

Recently the Police have been working in 2's, 1 sits in the middle of the highway in the emergency vehicle turnaround bays, whilst another one sits a km or 2 down the road in a breakdown bay..........

Regards

Daniel

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Elleb

I still have issues with my SG whereby depending on whether the air con is on or not depends on what data is display for fuel consumption.

It's a not always there, but is ATM which affects my ability to keep an absolutely accurate track of the fuel consumption, but I still find the SG very much useful WRT Manifold pressure, coolant and post intercooler temps etc etc.

Lakes.

My low fuel light comes on anywhere between 100-115km DTE normally, and as you know the DTE stops working at 50. I think it's meant to equate to roughly 6lts left.

As for the measuring I don't have access to anything like that, and I doubt they would care even if I did plonk the evidence right in front of them!

I guess I'll just throw this one in the record books and be done with it!

Regards

Daniel

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Thanks for the heads up on the SG. :goodjob:

How old is your model? Do the have the SG 2 X-Gauge, with the added features?

I wonder if that will deal with these bugs or if they are more related to the ECU within the i30 ?  I did write to SG in the USA and only got  a general non specific reply.. :evil:

Maybe I need to go back to them and  do some more "research".    :rofl:

Any other SG users, come on!!   Throw in your 2 bobs worth    :rolleyes:

Cheers

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
ElleB

Mine was built in Oct08, picked up in Nov08. It's built to the 09 spec. The issue is definitely linked to 2 things, air con and servicings, some I'll get it back and there won't be any problem, other times I get it back and if I put the air con on, the instant l/100km falls, then upon turning it off, it rises.........

I brought it up quite a while ago with my service department and they claim they never make any changes to the ECU, only read it, so there can be no way it is them as far as they are concerned. They were stumped as to what else it could be........

I recall quite some time ago there were a few people who were using a compensation of about 30-35% but that doesn't match the problem I have unless I have the air con on for the whole tank..........which I never do, I prefer to use it as little as possible.

With each tank the weather varies and so does my air con usage, so it's rather hard to lock in even a rough adjustment value, so it can be frustrating.

I haven't but any X-gauges on mine (nor know how) just using the supplied instantaneous l/100km and trip meter info.

Regards

Daniel

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
 You can upgrade your older version to include the  new features I think.. :idea:
  See this link.
 http://www.scangauge.com/support/xgauge.shtml

I will get in contact with SG and quiz them....or have you done that already ?

I would like to know if the PLX-DM100/200  gauges have any issues as well, but it seems that nobody is running them in their i30, judging by the lack of comment.. :-\

Elle B
'
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I would like to know if the PLX-DM100/200  gauges have any issues as well, but it seems that nobody is running them in their i30, judging by the lack of comment.. :-\

Can't recall anyone mention this guage or seeing any pictures before Elle B..( :idea: I'll do a search)

Edit : Nope.. only you ...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Looks like I might be the Guinea pig... :rofl:  for the PLX ... :-\

If I can afford it... :question:

I once taught "pig husbandry at a Ag college!!  Maybe that will help...   :D
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

I would like to know if the PLX-DM100/200  gauges have any issues as well, but it seems that nobody is running them in their i30, judging by the lack of comment.. :-\

Can't recall anyone mention this guage or seeing any pictures before Elle B..( :idea: I'll do a search)

Edit : Nope.. only you ...

Hi Daz the SG 11  i had had that X gauge you could add on

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Hi Daz the SG 11  i had had that X gauge you could add on

Thanks John.. Haven't heard of any members buying one though.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i didn't realise i can add the x gauge feature to my scangauge II.  :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
 Yes Lakes, here is the link.. Quite a bit of info in the Scangauge site.

I have not looked specifically at the upgrade, but saw it there.. I have yet to choose which  product to run with.   :-\

http://www.scangauge.com/support/xgauge.shtml

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it says to post the scangauge II back to them to be made x gauge compatible.  :scared:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal