i30 Owners Club

the new i40

jabber · 79 · 24278

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW

i thought the 145 was going to replace the sonata?  where does this 140 fit in then?

Xamaxy
If i got it right, i45 is for american market, and i40 is for european.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If i got it right, i45 is for american market, and i40 is for european.

We are getting both.. The i45 is probably a bit big for the average European (you folks seem to prefer something a bit more compact...)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
the i40 wagon looks really sporty! much much better looking than the Mazda 6 wagon (which was my 1st choice until i took the CW for a drive!  :winker:)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I remember when I was a kid in England, stopping at a garage in the mid sixties and my dad looking at a new shovel-nose Toyota Corona.
Relatively speaking, I see that where Toyota was then in the U.K. is where Hyundai was in the mid eighties in Australia - a newcomer but with great potential.
And now Hyundai are really kicking goals in the international arena and producing some very nice cars.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yeah! We're getting the i40CW first over here, don't know exactly when though. Then, later, we'll get the i40 (sedan) too. We don't have the i45, there wouldn't be that much interest - so they say....  :neutral:

From what I've seen, the i40CW look like a great car. I would definitely consider buying it when my i30CW gets tired, but... We'll see what will the wallet say. It will probably be quiet. The i40CW-10 (i30CW) is also doing it's job quite well still  :goodjob: Yeah, that's how I'll call it. i40CW-10.

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
The i40CW-10 (i30CW) is also doing it's job quite well still  :goodjob: Yeah, that's how I'll call it. i40CW-10.
:lol:  i also noticed they've added DRL leds to the headlamps!  :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm off to the Melbourne motor show tomorrow. pics will be taken.  :goodjob: the i40 looks nice,i may see one tomorrow.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm off to the Melbourne motor show tomorrow. pics will be taken.  :goodjob: the i40 looks nice,i may see one tomorrow.  :idea:

Look forward to those... :goodjob: (Have fun)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
A nice priced Diesel wagon could become the new fleet mobile.....Looks nice, would depend on a few things when the time comes.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I see there are no pics of i40CW. Damn, I'll fix that  :mrgreen:

Definitely, one of the best looking cars in it's class, if not in most classes (okay, I admit..I am a bit of a H fan  :cool: ) And it's actually very very big. It's among the longest in it's class I think.

Oh and yes, even our Slovenian test's have evaluated the car as very very competitive in it's class and a great product overall. Interesting thing is, that it has hydraulic steering wheel (!), for which they say gives great feedback and is nice to turn. There were some complaints about i30's steering wheel - that it doesn't give enough information (feedback) from road. So it's very nice, when the same magazine says, that i40CW has no such problems. They've tested 2.0 petrol engine (don't know how much hp, but it is the powerful petrol engine, given the fact, the other petrol engine is 1.6 lit 135 hp, I think it might have 177 hp?) and 1.7 CRDI engine with 136 hp (U-II engines). They claim that petrol engine (even the powerful one) feels a bit weak but that diesel engine definitely isn't and that it goes really great and suits cars look/shape and "spirit".

and

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Accim (what were the first three pix of)  :eek:

Yes, definitely a looker (I think fashioned a bit on the Mazda 6 and Ford Mondeo) which is far from a bad thing..Interesting about the steering and stuff too.. :goodjob:

Local Hyundai sales girl tried to tell me today that new Elantra which has just been released over here is just the i40 known by a different name and no wagon... I just sent an email to my M8 who also works there but wasn't in today suggesting he gets her to look at Hyundai Oz website ...definitely not the same car !!

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It is nice, curiously though when I look at it now I see a flattened ix20 :wow: !!!

Sent from my 1000et
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Thanks Accim (what were the first three pix of)  :eek:

Yes, definitely a looker (I think fashioned a bit on the Mazda 6 and Ford Mondeo) which is far from a bad thing..Interesting about the steering and stuff too.. :goodjob:

Local Hyundai sales girl tried to tell me today that new Elantra which has just been released over here is just the i40 known by a different name and no wagon... I just sent an email to my M8 who also works there but wasn't in today suggesting he gets her to look at Hyundai Oz website ...definitely not the same car !!

Yeah, I doubt. It's far too long for new Elantra -> 4770 x 1815 x 1470 mm

The sedan version is coming also soon, but it's also not a replacement for Elantra.

P.S.: Sedan looks also great - a bit like Lexus

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I reckon the Elantra looks OK but I think/agree the i40 looks more sleek and balanced  :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Looks nice indeed......except some idiot put the steering wheel on the wrong side  :rofl:

I'm assuning it is the diesel with the 6.8l/100 read out on the speedo?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm assuming it is the diesel with the 6.8l/100 read out on the speedo?

Yes, the rev range on the Tacho confirms that  :winker:

I really like the neat way they have laid out the instrument panel .. lot of info there  :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
we took rustynutz [russ] along to the motor show yesterday and he took some pics [i forgot my camera,only had my mobile phone  :-[] but don't recall seeing an i40.  :disapp: we saw the accent,i45 and veloster coupe,all very nice cars in the flesh.  :mrgreen: i got a bit worried when the wife started asking about prices of the accent.  :scared: :sweating: its not due for release till September or October this year.  :goodjob:  Russ noticed the info board along side of the 6 speed crdi i30 only gave info about the older 5 speed gear box,surely they know the 6 speed is being sold in oz now.  :-\ :confused:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hey Steve, you must've been busy checking out all the women as there was definitely an i40 there.....  :p :whistler:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i think the other models blinded me ,i cant remember seeing it.  :wacko: :-[ :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's ok, Steve...you were too busy wondering how you were gonna pay for that "Accent"  :winker:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
It's OK, Steve...you were too busy wondering how you were gonna pay for that "Accent"  :winker:
and I'm still wondering.  :sweating: :wacko:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If the i30 replaced the Accent, where does the Accent fit in the model line up?

Its getting very confusing.....I hope they don't tarnish the name by having a couple of unsuccessful models.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Its getting very confusing.....I hope they don't tarnish the name by having a couple of unsuccessful models.
it may replace the i30.  :scared: :faint:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

it may replace the i30.  :scared: :faint:

Extemely unlikely .. I think the accent would be between the i20 and the i30 ..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Extemely unlikely .. I think the accent would be between the i20 and the i30 ..

I think this is likely to be correct as the Accent is a little smaller than the i30, or so the hyundai chick said at the motor show... :D

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Why so many people say it's Ford? :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good find accim ...thanks  :goodjob: Ford  :rolleyes: :tomato:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Okay, as I've said, I've copied my text from some other thread and wrote some observations after seeing which engines will be (already are) available in i40.

I also wrote about, how low the car actually is and compared it with i30CW. Here are the dimensions and the text.

i30CW (or Elantra touring):
(l) 4.5 m × (w) 1.78 m × (height) 1.520 / 1.565* m (* with roof rack)

i40(CW):
(l) 4.77 m × (w) 1.82 m × (height) 1.470 m

So that means the i40CW is even 5 cm (2 inches) lower than i30CW. And that's without roof racks!! With roof racks, it's almost 10 cm (4 inches). That's a HUUGE difference. I've posted a video below, so you could see how low it looks -> comparing it to the models posing next to it. Though...I have hard time seeing the car  :whistler:

And few more information about i40(CW), which I found when it was tested in Germany:

Engines:
1.) 1.7 CRDi (115 hp)
Torque: 260 Nm (@1.250-2.750 rpm)
Max speed: 190 km/h

2.) 1.7 CRDi (136 hp)
Torque: 325 Nm (@2.000-2.500 rpm)
Max speed: 198 km/h

3.) 1.6 petrol (135 hp)
Torque: 164 Nm (@4.850 rpm)
Max speed: 195 km/h

4.) 2.0 petrol (177 hp)
Torque: 208 Nm (@4.700 rpm)
Max speed: 210 km/h

OK, so.. What I find very interesting. First, when you look at engines (1.6, 1.7, etc..) they seem too weak. But when you check the data, it seems, they've done a good job tuning it for the best performance.

First engine, 1.7 CRDi with 115 hp, has remarkable torque. With that, I don't mean the amount of torque..I'm talking about the range. Look, the torque is 260 Nm, which is okay, but it's available already from 1.250 rpm and it keeps on "torque-ing" till late 2.750 rpm. I can't remember when was the last time, I saw a diesel that had all that torque from early low 1.250 rpm. Really. I think, that engine is really great to drive. It's not among the fastest, of course, but top speed is good (190km/h), I'm sure the acceleration (0-100) is at least also around 11-12 sec, the torque is also high enough (260Nm). And I think the fuel consumption is around 4,3 lit/100km. I would probably go for more powerful engine, but maybe this one could even be one of the most versatile. I would have to take a good test drive with it, before crossing it out of list.

Second engine, 1.7 CRDi with 136 hp sounds the right one for me. Top speed is good (198 km/h), I'm sure acceleration is under or at least around 10 sec and it "produces" 325 Nm of torque. But what I'm not that keen about is the range on which that torque is available. According to them, it's between 2.000 rpm and 2.500 rpm. That seems like it needs to be driven at higher rev's too keep up with the traffic (well if you want to have it ready for acceleration) and the fun stops (or at least starts to slow down) after 2.500.. I'm not sure about that. I'm hoping it was a typing mistake or something. Well maybe I'm just being too skeptical and it works just great. Previously written pushed aside, this engine still is my favorite (even though I haven't driven it yet).

Third, 1.6 lit with 135 hp. Not really sure about it. Top speed is great (195km/h), but I have hard time imagining a 1.6 (non turbo) petrol engine in car as big as i40. It's probably good, drives smoothly and it will probably be the cheapest... But.. We'll see.

Fourth, the 2.0 lit petrol engine with 177 hp. I think this should be fun. It will probably sound like a kitty, but go like a tiger. Okay, maybe I'm overreacting, but it will probably be a very serious competitor to cars like Honda Accord Tourer or Mazda 6 wagon. It has powerful engine, which Honda buyers usually buy (when you look at Honda Accord, the weakest one is 2.0 petrol engine with 156 hp). It looks very interesting and similar to those two cars and it probably drives very similar to them. And it's quite "exotic" for our market as it's not a VW, Audi, BMW, or some other brand like that.

If I had a chance (money), I would probably go for 1.7 CRDi (135 hp engine) or even consider the 2.0 petrol (177hp) one. No doubt about that. Regarding the fact I drive less lately, I would seriously consider the powerful petrol engine, but then again, the torque really feels great, especially when going uphill (remember the videos).

I'll copy this text to i40CW thread, so we could comment actual findings, after someone actually drives it .

Here's the vid, I was talking about above:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice Video  :winker: (very Sleek and the i40 is not bad either)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal