i30 Owners Club

Brake Caliper hawted up!

Guest · 10 · 3803

bez10y
Well I finally got time and drove my i30 up to the out-laws (where they have a lot of room) to hot up my brake calipers and clean up the small bits of surface rust.

I took these photos with my new i617 Samsung phone camera and they turned out surprisingly well.

WARNING: All work here was done by super bodgy me so don't expect anything perfect (in fact keep an eye out for the bad masking areas hehehe :D

Front wheel assembled before.

Front wheel calipers before paint.

Front wheel calipers after paint 1.

Front wheel calipers after paint 2. (Notice the white spots)

Front wheel assembled after.

Rear wheel assembled before.

Rear wheel before paint & surface rust. (Different side to above rear wheel shot)

Rear wheel after paint & surface rust clean 1.

Rear wheel after paint & surface rust 2.

Rear wheel assembled after.

One side completed

With the white spots I was going to see about painting any text or imprints I saw on the metal but they were on the top of the caliper so I elected to just paint the small round stud like parts of the side. The white paint is an enamel and that part shouldn't' get overly hot so it should be ok. The rust on the hub was cleaned off and an aluminium rust guard paint was then applied. We'll see how well it goes. I did 3 coats overall using the paint kit and have lots left over if I ever need to redo them.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Excellent piccies there bez - you have far more patience than I to do that "hawting"
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks good M8 - you've obviously been bezy... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tji30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

• Toowoomba, Queensland - White i30 SR (at last)
Looks really good. I'm tempted to do mine as I think the red calipers with the SR rims & White car would look really nice. How'd you clean up the rust? Just sandpapered it back or what?

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Look great but I'm not a fan of red - Man u, Liverpool Arsenal etc
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
How'd you clean up the rust? Just sandpapered it back or what?

Bez might have a different answer but I would use a small wire brush.. if it were me  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

bez10y
How'd you clean up the rust? Just sandpapered it back or what?

Bez might have a different answer but I would use a small wire brush.. if of it were me  :cool:

Dazz is correct. I grabbed a small wire brush from Bunnings and gave it a good thrashing. I then wiped it over with turps and dried it completely with some rags before applying the Rust Guard Aluminium paint.

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
great walkthrough and turn out =D i didnt end up painting the bottom of the shoe on my car..was considering whether to do it or not. but either way! yours looks sweet   :D

bez10y
great walkthrough and turn out =D i didnt end up painting the bottom of the shoe on my car..was considering whether to do it or not. but either way! yours looks sweet   :D

I looked at your piccies link and noticed how much you had painted. Initially I was going to do them the same but because 3 out of the 4 calipers had rust staining on the lower part of the caliper I decided to do the whole lot.

Cheers for the comments chaps :D

P.S. My leg and arse muscles are sore from having to sit so low whilst doing them, hehehe.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal