i30 Owners Club

after market Rims for the i30

Offline prgervacio

• 2nd Gear
i've yet to receive my i30 but the first mod i'm thinking of doing is putting on 17" rims.  just want to know what is the effect of putting bigger rims to the car's handling.  is it true that it will also affect mileage?  what do you think is the ideal width?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome prgervacio.. 

The ride will become more firm with 17" rims but should be still bearable.. That size comes as standard on the sports model (SR) in Australia. Think they run 225 wide tyres.. you wouldn't want to go much wider as the SR already has to run a larger turning circle to accommodate that width from my understanding...

Shouldn't really effect the fuel mileage to any extent..

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Goldfish_8

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Toytown
Hi all,

Thought this old link would come in handy one day. Picked it up off a Subaru forum, its a link to the Miata page which gives a tyre size calculator, so you can punch in the original wheel and tire size, and the size you are thinking of getting, and it will then let you know if you will be over or under reading with regards speed and milage recording.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Cheers

Mark

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi all,

Thought this old link would come in handy one day. Picked it up off a Subaru forum, its a link to the Miata page which gives a tyre size calculator, so you can punch in the original wheel and tire size, and the size you are thinking of getting, and it will then let you know if you will be over or under reading with regards speed and milage recording.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark.. That's awesome (as one of my daughters always says..)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline prgervacio

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the link mark.  i'd probably just go for a 205 or a 215 at most. 

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
the 17inch rubber that go on the sr models are 225/45 r17 if this will help dont know wether youve already for 17 inch rims or not. the ride is a little firmer but the handling is alot better, would recommend lowered suspension next as it kinda looks like a monster truck!

cheers
ash

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal