i30 Owners Club

How to stitch this leather steering wheel cover?

Guest · 3 · 4614

msz
Hi all,
I am in doubt so I decided to ask for suggestions. It's about the leather cover for steering wheel. I'm not the biggest fan of cruise control so consequently, of course, i got the plastic/rubbery steering wheel and i thought i will be fine with it, but i'm not.
I looked trough the forum before i bought one, and there was a nice discussion about the subject here. So I didn't buy the cover that was discussed there, but i bought some other one and now I'm afraid i got basically the same thing. I took a photo of the leather and also the instruction how to mount it. As you can see, they suggest to pass the cord trough the stitching, but that was exactly the reason why the other one failed (druggist's post in the same thread).

There are two ways how this can be done:
1. I could just do the way they suggest in the instructions, or
2. I could try and pass the cord trough the holes in the leather that are there from the stitches already.

I'm leaning towards number 2, because all cover mounting instructions that i have seen on the net (youtube) have made it in the same way. On the other hand, the instructions are claiming that one should pass like they say because that is how it's done (and if I don't do it that way, they will send black helicopters in the night and lift my car away, or something like that)

Does anyone have any experience with this, or a suggestion?

Here is the link for the stuff that i bought and there are photos off the stuff and instruction:
Thanx

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
I tried both ways, through the stitching came undone as soon as one of the loops broke, subsequently pulling the stitching out all the way around.
I then bought some more thread and tried to push through and sew in the traditional method but found it almost impossible to stitch it up tightly.
I then bought a slip on style from Repco which has been great. The only downside for it is that there is a gap around the inside of the wheel as the wheel has a larger diameter in cross section than the cover.
Hate the standard wheel, it feels like sandpaper to my delicate hands.  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My mum taught me to sew when I was a teenager. :-[  I once made a leather cover from scratch and sewed it on quite successfully.

Proper thick leather holds stitches well but the cheap stuff they make these things out of is not very strong but I would still try and stitch it through the stich holes (the 2nd option)

Good luck  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal