Garret Turbo GT1544V

accim · 17 · 20534

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
The "previous" i30's with 1.6 CRDI engines (90 and 115) were all equipped with turbine GT 1544V turbine (as flaky-ho said). The 2.0 CRDi engine in i30 has other turbo, but Accent 1.5 CRDI (110HP), Matrix CRDI, Getz CRDi (i think) all have the same turbo as i30, the GT1544V. More info about the turbo below:

GENERAL INFO
Turbo Brand: Garret Honeywell
Turbo Model: GT1544V (GT15V)
Garret Parts #: 740611-0002
Hyundai Parts #: 28201-2A400
Bearing: Journal
Cooling: Oil

COMPRESSOR
Ind Whl Dia: 32.9mm
Exd Whl Dia: 43.9mm
Trim: 56
A/R:0.42

TURBINE
Whl Dia: 42.2mm
Trim: 58
A/R: 0.42
Wastegate: Internal Wastegate

APPLICATION
HP: 100-150
Engine: 1.0 - 1.6L

Few links and pics:
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/model.php?base=garrett&pagina=GT15V
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/garrett_parts_list/740611-0002.php

VGT (variable geometry turbocharger):

The thing that catches my eye right away (beside the engine cover) is this thing, that is different in new i30's:

New:

"Old" (need I say):

New:

Old:

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
This element it is air throttle with pneumatic control.
In my I30 (MY.2009 Czech made) is turbocharger without VGT.

Turbocharger without VGT (and without Garret sign) has installed horizontally black pneumatic controller of wastegate valve.

Earlier I30 1.6 turbochargers with VGT were equipped with gold pneumatic controller of VGT disc installed verically (yellow arrow)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the pix and info guys.. very interesting.. :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
im pretty sure the thing on the intake is a shut off valve... it starves the engine of air to aid it in shutting down faster, ever turned off an old diesel... its horrbile *gank gank gonk dunnn durrrrrr konk* may also be for the traction controll...

i kinda wish we had a normal turbo with no VGT... would make boosting it soooo much easier!

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yeah, I see. But wait. I took the pictures below. I got that i30 as a replacement car so I compared it to my i30 and took some photos.
As I see it now (looking at my and your pictures), there are three different types of it ?! Don't know what it's for, but it's definitely different.. Look at the pictures below. My i30 (1.6 CRDI y.2008) is on the first three pictures. I took the plastic motor cover off, because it's quite big. Anyways, the new i30 (1.6 CRDI U2 engine y.2010!), which I got as a replacement car is on the other three pictures. See, there's a difference between them too. And when I look at yours...it definitely looks nothing like the two from my pictures?!

Here's my i30 1.6 CRDI (y.2008) - "old i30's":

and the "new" 1.6 CRDI (y.2010):

and here's yours..

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
In fact, your I30 has turbocharger with VGT probably Garret made.
New I30 MY2010 has also VGT (I see vertically installed pneumatic controller).
My I30 (90 hp) hasn't VGT -turbocharger is no name, but 115 hp made at the same time were installing VGT turbo with Garret mark on the casing.
Here's my I30 November 2009 Czech made(series between "old" and "new" I30's???)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yeah, I see there's quite a difference.. So your is not U2 engine and hasn't got 6-speed transmission? It was built between my i30, and the i30, which I've posted above? So that means there are 3 different "types" of the same engine..?

Interesting. Just marked some differences..

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
Yes, it's really interesting. My engine is type beetween "old" and I30 "after face lifting type", but my I30 has 6-speed gearbox :exclaim:.

Offline EssexTech

• Technical Advisor
The older one is a TD02M 09T(Accent is a 06T) which is a Mitsubishi style turbo made by KEYYANG precision company. These are very easy to repair if you can get the bits. The Garrett GT1544v is fitted to a lot of Euro cars. A lot of turbo peeps will not repair these in the UK as they seem to spin off a turbine nut but that is on  Peugeots and Fords,not sure on the Hyundai's yet.

Hello Shambles.

Offline AcDenmark

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Silkeborg
My "Old" from 2008 has that too.

• Hyundai i30 GD

Offline osrecko

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
I have 2011 Czech model 90 HP, 6 gears. Which turbo I could have: VGT Garret or "plain" Mitsubishi style or some extra? Is it possible to get "kosher" chipping to 115 HP?

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I have 2011 Czech model 90 HP, 6 gears. Which turbo I could have: VGT Garret or "plain" Mitsubishi style or some extra? Is it possible to get "kosher" chipping to 115 HP?

Check with user Xamaxy (he is from Croatia) and check Galeb's topic (also from Croatia) ;)

Offline alc2

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
My 115HP was  released  by Czech  factory in  march 2010 , it  has also the  facelift and  6  speed  gearbox,   but  engine is  "old type".   
I think  the  main difference  between  these  tho  engines  is  the Euro4>Euro5  transition , together  with  standard DPF  fitted. Mine  is  standard Euro4  without  DPF.
Some pictures : 1 ; 2 ; 3

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My 115HP was  released  by Czech  factory in  march 2010 , it  has also the  facelift and  6  speed  gearbox,   but  engine is  "old type".   
I think  the  main difference  between  these  tho  engines  is  the Euro4>Euro5  transition , together  with  standard DPF  fitted. Mine  is  standard Euro4  without  DPF.

From what we have seen on here you got the best of both worlds.. 6 speed without DPF  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Indalsman

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sundsvall
 :whsaid:

I probably will remove my DPF when the waranty is used and over.

From what we have seen on here you got the best of both worlds.. 6 speed without DPF  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That's a hell of a bump.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Indalsman

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sundsvall

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal