i30 Owners Club

Genuine Diesel Filter $38.47

beerman · 104 · 31281

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hi beerman, you'll get the filter cheaper from Darren at cheepcarparts. Good Aussie supplier. I get all my filters from him.

Pm me if you want details.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hey UM, didn't you pay around $150 for an oil, air and fuel filter from Darren?

By my rough calculations I'd say you've paid way more than this listing's $46-$47 for the fuel filter.... :undecided:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hey UM, didn't you pay around $150 for an oil, air and fuel filter from Darren?

By my rough calculations I'd say you've paid way more than this listing's $46-$47 for the fuel filter.... :undecided:

Your jocks must be too tight, rustynutz.
Here are Darren's prices (inc GST)

Air filter = $25
Oil filter = $24
Fuel filter = $75
He can overnight post them to most Oz areas for about $15.

Not too bad, IMHO.

If you were referring to me getting filters in the past from Darren for around $150, that order included audio steering wheel controls too.

BTW, if you let Darren know you're an i30 club member, you'll probably get them cheaper.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I know it's been a long time since I went to school but back then  $46 or $47 including postage was cheaper than $75 plus postage.....  :eek:

Me thinks it's your jocks/panties that are affecting YOUR maths, UM.  :whistler:  :rofl:

If you were referring to me getting filters in the past from Darren for around $150, that order included audio steering wheel controls too

I had the 30000k service done today at Ultra Tune. Cost breakdown as follows:-

Ultra Tune costs  - $156 (inc labour, workshop supplies and environmental charges)
Parts - $150 (Genuine Hyundai oil, air and fuel filters supplied by Darren from Cheep Parts)
Oil - $42 (Penrite 5W-40 supplied by me)
Total - $348.

This compares to the Hyundai dealer quote of $689 (all inclusive). I've saved myself $341.

No way will I be going near a dealer apart from warranty work.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, I've taken the plunge and bought 2 of these fuel filters ($94.29 Aus), so fingers crossed they turn up.....  :undecided:

I'd been thinking about ordering one since beerman posted this link but was further encouraged after having the fuel filter light flicker intermittently these last couple of days.
Seems I bought some expensive water last time I filled the tank with diesel.
Anyhow, I took it in to my local dealer today and my wallet ended up just on $190 lighter.
Filter alone was $131.80 with GST!  :Shocked:

Daylight robbery by Hyundai....  :mad: :fum:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What did they say they did Rusty  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
They removed the fuel filter and replaced it with one made from gold.... :p

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I assume they drained the tank too. How much water was in the tank  :question:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, I've taken the plunge and bought 2 of these fuel filters ($94.29 Aus), so fingers crossed they turn up.....  :undecided:

I'd been thinking about ordering one since beerman posted this link but was further encouraged after having the fuel filter light flicker intermittently these last couple of days.
Anyhow, I took it in to my local dealer today and my wallet ended up just on $190 lighter.

You're kidding me aren't you.

The filter is $131.80 the $60.00 is labour, even at that ridiculous rate, that's 1 hour. Surely it doesn't take an hour to replace a fuel filter.

Are you approaching the fuel company for compensation  :question:

If they didn't drain the tank, what's stopping more water from collecting in your new gold filter.  :(

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

You're kidding me aren't you.

The filter is $131.80 the $60.00 is labour, even at that ridiculous rate, that's 1 hour. Surely it doesn't take an hour to replace a fuel filter.

Are you approaching the fuel company for compensation  :question:

If they didn't drain the tank, what's stopping more water from collecting in your new gold filter.  :(

Took them 45 minutes max but as I didn't hang around while they worked, I'm not sure how much of that time they actually spent worked on it.
Guess there's nothing stopping it all happening again, I just have to hope all the water had already been sucked up. 
They did show me the fuel that was taken out of the filter, there wasn't a huge amount of water in it, maybe an inch sitting in the bottom of the jar?

As for compensation.....dunno how I'll go but I'm gonna give it a try. Luckily I do have a receipt for the fuel, something I don't always worry about getting.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I decided to send off an email to Hyundai Australia whinging about their fuel filter prices and asking them how they justify their price in light of me being able to buy a genuine filter from the UK for $47 including postage.

What sort of reply do you think I'll get?.....

I suspect it will be a condescending one....   :undecided: 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Oh.. So you are expecting a reply then..  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Of course, Daz... :D

Whether I get one is another matter... :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I decided to send off an email to Hyundai Australia whinging about their fuel filter prices and asking them how they justify their price in light of me being able to buy a genuine filter from the UK for $47 including postage.

Goodonya  :goodjob2:
If no one says anything they'll just keep doing it. (They might anyway  :undecided:)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

What happened to "The customer is always right."  :exclaim:  :fum:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Good onya, pip.... :goodjob:

I did try buying them less the VAT but no luck....
At least they had the decency to reply (twice). Firstly to tell me they'd look into it and then a couple of days later to inform me, after
consulting with eBay, that they were required to only sell them with the VAT included. They did say I could try to claim it back from here (Aus).
Probably not worth the stuffing around though...  :undecided:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
So that's why I got that response...

Can you let me know if the invoice is in $A?

I emailed them trying to get a buy it now price including postage in $A, but have been less than successful in getting them to answer.

If I can't get the above, I can't claim the part on my lease, so I'll be better of getting a Ryco Z707.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So that's why I got that response...

Can you let me know if the invoice is in $A?

I emailed them trying to get a buy it now price including postage in $A, but have been less than successful in getting them to answer.

If I can't get the above, I can't claim the part on my lease, so I'll be better of getting a Ryco Z707.

The only invoice I've received is the PayPal one so probably not much help?  :undecided:

I suspect that with the exchange rate constantly changing, it would be pretty hard for the company to give you a price in Aussie Dollars.....  :confused:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
When the transaction goes through it wouldn't be.

But anyway, I haven't had any problems with the Ryco filter, and it will be much cheaper when one takes into account the fact I'm buying it GST free in pre tax dollars, so I guess it is not ment to be....

Which is a shame. Hope you get yours soon!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I got my reply this morning..... :)

Good morning Mr xxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting the Hyundai Customer Care Centre.

The recommended retail price for the fuel filter by Hyundai Motor Company is at $120.11.

Please note this is a recommended price and does not take into account for each Hyundai franchise dealers decision on their pricing which is usually governed by their operating costs such as pricing of freight, storage, wages and operation costs, hence it is a recommended retail price.

Another factor is, you are unfairly comparing an internet based price from overseas which is not governed or regulated with import duties, taxes or even GST by the Australian government. Unlike Hyundai Motor Company which is slugged by these taxes when parts arrive into Australia from Korea.

We do always advise to shop around for your best prices in this open free market.

Once again, thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care and providing the opportunity to respond. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further queries.

Kind Regards,

Marcin Kresan
  Customer Care Officer-Senior
  Hyundai Motor Company Australia

Phone   :  1800 186 306
  mailto   :  customercare@hyundai.com.au
  Web     :  www.hyundai.com.au

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I liked the technical term he used "slugged"  :rofl:

Thanks Russ (Business as usual)  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
So what they're saying is that their RRP may be higher, if the franchisee chooses to factor in all the other on-costs. Sorry, but if you can get it from o/s cheaper, then so be it :exclaim:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So what they're saying is that their RRP may be higher, if the franchisee chooses to factor in all the other on-costs. Sorry, but if you can get it from o/s cheaper, then so be it :exclaim:

I basically got the reply I was expecting......

I did reply but suspect I'll be lucky to get another response as I think I may have been a bit harsh.....  :undecided:

Hi Marcin

Thankyou for your reply....

Just for the record, the genuine Hyundai filters that are available from the UK actually included their VAT of 15% so that more than cancels out any savings in not having to pay the GST in Australia..

The price from them also included postage which is surely more expensive than the shipping costs per item that Hyundai Australia would be charged to ship them in?

I did suspect the old argument of transport/duties/taxes would be trotted out to justify the ludicrous price charged but really, nearly 3 times the price?

While I may be only one person that has questioned Hyundai Australia's parts pricing, please be aware that, as a member of a Hyundai i30 online forum, many many members are seeing and also being informed of these huge differences.

Something Hyundai might do well to take into consideration as I'm aware that "spare parts" is the "cream" for many dealers, so you really don't wanna piss off the people that are buying your products......

Cheers

Russell

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I did give their after sales service and pricing a very low rating on their survey.

I find it amusing that:

I can buy a Ryco filter (one would assume the same problems and taxes) for well less than half of the Hyundai one.

I can buy Mobil one 0w40w for well less than the $100 they want to charge to put oil in at service time (and they buy it in massive barrels, oh and won't tell me what they are using).

My mechanic can do the service for well less than Hyundai can ($250 v $600 for the 30k oil and filter supplied).

Even the major service on the Ford Territory diesel is cheaper than the Diesel service on the I30 diesel, and one would assume the bigger engine would need more oil.

Their reply reminds me of the old proverb, it is better to stay silent and have people think you are a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Oh and I'll remember that Hyundai encourages competition line next time some smart service bloke says "Why don't you just get whoever is doing your servicing to do it"

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Something Hyundai might do well to take into consideration as I'm aware that "spare parts" is the "cream" for many dealers, so you really don't wanna piss off the people that are buying your products......

:goodjob2: Goodonya. Another technical term used back.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
I guess the real response is to vote with your feet and buy the bits you need at whatever price you can and take them to an independent you trust.

I've had Hy do it so far (3 years, 3 services with intermediate oil changes by me) but I'm thinking it might just be someone else next time, particularly if I buy a fault code reader. Pretty cheap toy.  :goodjob2:

As soon as it's past warranty it'll all be done by me as all my other cars have been, except for the only other new car I've bought that also had dealer service until warranty ended.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal