i30 Owners Club

Boot/hatch LEDs fitted

D-Rob · 15 · 4208

Offline D-Rob

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 Driver

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Gwangju
Added some LEDs to the interior of the car today. Pretty standard, but here are some pics of the the hatch.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Splendid job done there :goodjob:

Do the "handle" LED strips not catch your fingers when you try to close the hatch?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline D-Rob

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 Driver

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Gwangju
Thanks for moving the thread (I assume that was you, Shambles?), as I wasn't sure where to put it, but I didn't know if I should start a new thread for every little mod.

To answer your question though, Shambles, I never use those "handles" to close the hatch, so I haven't had a problem yet. I just wanted to do something a little different that I hadn't seen done on another car.

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
That's brilliant Rob.
Nice and clean install, looks stock.
  • 2.0 Petrol Hatch - Brisbane

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :whsaid: :brilliant: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
To answer your question though, Shambles, I never use those "handles" to close the hatch, so I haven't had a problem yet. I just wanted to do something a little different that I hadn't seen done on another car.

They seem to be well enough in the grip not to be an issue .. looks excellent BTW  :goodjob: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
excellent work D-Rob! very very  :goodjob:

if you don't mind me asking where did you get those 2 light fittings you installed on the boot door lining?

Offline D-Rob

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 Driver

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Gwangju
excellent work D-Rob! very very  :goodjob:

if you don't mind me asking where did you get those 2 light fittings you installed on the boot door lining?

At the LED shop I go to, they have these thing plastic tubes that you can slid a led strip into and then put two caps on each end. This secures the LED strip from falling out or moving in any way. I'll try to get some pics of all the interior ones later tonight after F1.

Offline D-Rob

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 Driver

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Gwangju
Here are a couple other pics of my HIDs and LEDs.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Some bright ideas there  :scared: You didn't think about using red Leds in the doors..?

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
wow! those fog lights are super bright! if i had the same brightness in my cw's foglights i'm sure the cops would pull me over if i had them lit up when there's no fog at all!

and i'm really impressed with what you did with the door lights!  :goodjob: as Dazz said, ever thought of using red lights for the door?  :question: btw, did you tap power from the dome lights or from the door switch? i wanted to do the same for my car but unsure where to tap power from.

thanks for sharing D-Rob!

Offline D-Rob

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 Driver

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Gwangju
Thanks for the compliment, Jabber!  The fog lights and head lights are the same kit, so the color is the same. However, I think because the fog lights don't have reflectors, they look brighter in the picture. Luckily, there are almost no traffic cops here, so I won't have any problems until I have to have the car inspected in a year or so, and then i'll just have to swap them in favor of the stocks.

No, I never considered red for the doors. Is there a law that requires that, like the orange turn signals? I bought a new, clear cover for them on the internet. The power for the LEDs in the trunk are fed to the dome, and the door lights get power from the door.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No, I never considered red for the doors. Is there a law that requires that, like the orange turn signals? I bought a new, clear cover for them on the internet. The power for the LEDs in the trunk are fed to the dome, and the door lights get power from the door.

I guess Jabber was thinking the same as me.. Red might have been better from a safety point of view  :idea:

You could just leave the white globe with the red covers if they would let the light through?

Offline D-Rob

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 Driver

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Gwangju
I guess I see what you guys are saying about the safety issues, but I try really hard not to leave my doors open, especially if there is any traffic. I personally don't like the look of red LED light. I wanted the white glow. I also plan to change the mirror covers and the mirror itself fitted with white LEDs sometime in the near future, but I have to find a paint shop first. Very few cars here are anything but black, white, or silver, so I am a little nervous about finding a decent paint shop. But when I do, I'll have them paint my future spoiler as well.

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW

thanks for the tip D-Rob!  :goodjob: i was considering tapping power for the door lights from the map lights but unsure whether i can actually feed the cable through to the front pillar seeing there's an airbag there  :undecided:  by tapping power from the door did you mean the door switch itself? nevertheless you've done well mate!  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal