i30 Owners Club

Upgrading to auto up/auto down window controls

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
My Cw 2010 has auto down on the driver's window only. (Auto up would have been nice, too :evil: :evil:)

I would like to upgrade all four windows to have the auto up and auto down functions. I have read about the relay from Shark Racing, but I'd like to do it by installing the correct switches. Any ideas?
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Auto up is not as simple as adding just an extra relay. The window motor and/or its controls has to include a load sensitive device for safety reasons so that if the window meets extra resistance it stops instantly.

Otherwise it would be possible to get seriously injured if someone is leaning out of the window or has fingers/hand/arm in the aperture and the up control is actuated.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That feature's nice when it comes as part of the package, eh Alan?  :mrgreen:

I'm reasonably confident there are pics of such a mod on our forum; how successful the conversion was I can't recall. Not sure if it included the switch upgrade tho...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
karhung has done the mod you've mentioned,but with an aftermarket set up.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
sharkracing sells the relay kit for this feature (you need to specify with them if your car is auto down only or auto up & auto down). the kit allows you to auto wind down all windows when you press a particular sequence in your remote. i was looking into doing this project for my cw but sharkracing only has the kit for LHD i30s so i abandoned it. they don't know how to configure it for RHD cars so you would need to find out from karhung how he did it. one of the advantages i can see with this is if its a hot day & you don't like getting into an oven of a car then you can wind down the windows from a distance  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
one of the advantages i can see with this is if its a hot day & you don't like getting into an oven of a car then you can wind down the windows from a distance  :goodjob:

and another is to impress your friends and work colleagues... :whistler:

"PM" karhung, Jabber I'm sure he wouldn't mind pointing you in the right direction... :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW

and another is to impress your friends and work colleagues... :whistler:

"PM" karhung, Jabber I'm sure he wouldn't mind pointing you in the right direction... :goodjob:

that was another good thing about it .... impressing friends  :D. the honda odyssey has it as well & when i saw the clip on youtube of an i30 autowinding down the windows & auto folding the mirrors i was stoked!

i've been in contact already with karhung jeff & he was good enough to respond asap but have a few mods to finish first on my wife's car. pm karhung UM & he'll let you know how to do it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal