Audio schematics

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

Offline kymbolino

• 2nd Gear
Great work and thank you!
Now we don't have to spend that crazy money on their USB cable. Off to Jaycar we go!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great work and thank you!
Now we don't have to spend that crazy money on their USB cable. Off to Jaycar we go!

You can make a cable with that info... :eek: :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kymbolino

• 2nd Gear
Hi, Sorry for the late reply.

I actually just prefer using a usb key in the car so that my ipod stays in the house where I can take it for walks etc.

However I did look into the design of that cable and came to this conclusion:
The Hyundai cable is no different to using an individual USB cable with an auxilary audio cable except for one difference: The hyundai 3.5mm audio plug has a 4th contact which is used as a "detect" signal to tell the headunit that an ipod is plugged in. My guess is that it should be tied to the +5V USB rail so the two cables need to be interconnected for that purpose.

The problem is where to buy one of these 4 contact 3.5mm plugs??
Unforutnately no luck at Jaycar - and I'm not even going to bother checking dick smiths but you can order online from Farnell Australia for $2.81 each.
http://au.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01490/plug-3-5mm-jack-4pole/dp/1280728

I'm going to give it a go eventually but if anyone else wants to try this first go ahead. Let me know if you want more detail. If I put one together I will post some photos.

Good luck.

Offline kymbolino

• 2nd Gear
Ok, so I tried this with some spare parts I had but it didn't work. That 4th pin, marked "detect" on the schematics in the earlier post, still must have something to do with how the headunit can tell between a usb drive and an ipod but it's not as easy as just pulling it to +5V.

Offline i30_adam

• 1st Gear
I would perhaps tying the detect pin to a more relevant pin on the ipod end such as pin:
12. Serial send
13. Serial receive (maybe not this one)
14. Reserved
17. Reserved
21. Accessory
(Different resistances indicate accessory type:
1kOhm - iPod docking station, beeps when connected
10kOhm - Takes some iPods into photo import mode
500kOhm - related to serial communication / used to enable serial communications Used in Dension Ice Link Plus car interface
1MOhm - Belkin auto adaptor, iPod shuts down automatically when power disconnected Connecting pin 21 to ground with a 1MOhm resistor does stop the ipod when power (i.e. Firewire-12V) is cut. Looks to be that when this pin is grounded it closes a switch so that on loss of power the Ipod shuts off. Dock has the same Resister.
22. Firewire Data

The reserved pins might not be connected to anything and are reserved for later technologies... i have no idea. There are a multitude of pins it could be running off, and are using the signal from any one of them as a detect signal.  My guy feel would be for pin 12 or 21. If using pin 21... try connecting without resistor first as it may have a resistor in the hyundai circuit, if no luck it may just be linked straight to ground and hence then try the resistors as mentioned above.

Information copied form http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

I really wish i knew the answer because there is no way i am shelling out $110. Apparantly kia has the same cable for their new kia soul and cerato and it costs them $70. I may purchase that, especially considering the parts box has hyundai/kia written on it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I really wish i knew the answer because there is no way i am shelling out $110. Apparantly kia has the same cable for their new kia soul and cerato and it costs them $70. I may purchase that, especially considering the parts box has hyundai/kia written on it.

Welcome to the club Adam.. You'll probably pick a cable up through here for about $60 if you visit regularly... :D

Offline DTY01

• 2nd Gear

[/quote]

I don't know where you got your cable from but I picked mine up from the dealership spare parts for $65...

Offline freds

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi there, new to this forum , but is it possible to send the schematics as a pdf file ?
Thanx,
Freds

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi freds, welcome aboard :)

Can't you right-click the diagrams and "save as..." to save the pics?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline freds

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
yes , sure can , but jpg is worse to print than a reasonable PDF , and my poor old eyes need all the help they can get !

As an aside , the reason I wanted the schematics was a weird problem with my SLX's audio system , the radio crackles , but only when it's on AM ! No loose antenna , crackles away over every bump , but only when it's warmed up , anybody else experienced the same or similar ??

Cheers !

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Freds a big welcome. Why don't you slip into your local dealer and get them to check it out when its warmed up? Not a problem that I can remember being mentioned by any of our other 1000 members...

Offline freds

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Apparently its the second one my dealer has had , and it requires stripping the head unit out and reseating the connectors at the back and especially the antenna connector.

Just seemed weird that it only affected the AM radio ( from the time of the dinosaurs ! ) and nothing else.

Still , it's fixed now.

I've also applied some Cell phone screen protector film to the radio and climate control screens , as I noticed a few members complaining of easy scratching of them.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've also applied some Cell phone screen protector film to the radio and climate control screens , as I noticed a few members complaining of easy scratching of them.
that's an excellent idea. :cool: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
i wonder, how would one go and add external amplifier? hmm ...

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
i wonder, how would one go and add external amplifier? hmm ...

On first of the pics there is a discrete box labeled as "amp", which is the external power amp.
The picture is labeled "audio system with amp". At least in Finland the power amp is a separately priced accessory, and that diagram apparently shows the system with the amp installed.

It seems to have the normal RL, RR, FL, FR inputs plus also "remote in" and "mute" inputs. Outputs are for 4 speakers, shown in the third pic.

Offline umbro

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Romania
any way to determine if you have an amp without dissembling the side of the trunk where it's supposed to be?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

any way to determine if you have an amp without dissembling the side of the trunk where it's supposed to be?

If you car is not very old check the specs of your model on the local Hyundai website.. Only our top of the range SR "sports" model gets the extra amp over here .. It is married to the 6 changer CD system so if you have that stereo you might be in luck...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal